Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

IAD-STN on Maxjet and Virgin Atlantic Upper Class!

IAD-STN on Maxjet and Virgin Atlantic Upper Class!

Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Smile IAD-STN on Maxjet and Virgin Atlantic Upper Class!

I purchased an IAD-STN return trip on Maxjet during a "Friends and Family" promotion a while back for travel this past weekend. Total all-in was about $900. I was called two days before my departure flight and informed that my return STN-IAD flight had been cancelled. I was offered to be rebooked on the same flight the following day, or a same-day return via JFK, connecting to Jet Blue, which I grudgingly accepted.

My MaxJet check-in at IAD was super-fast, and I whizzed through security as well. I absolutely loathe Dulles aiport; this was by far the best experience I'd ever had there. The lounge (NW) was fairly crowded but had some nice drinks and a few snacks. Not great but perfectly acceptable.

Onboard, the flight was only about 2/3 full, so I had 2 seats to myself. The food was very nice; although they didn't have the special meal I'd requested, they more than made it up to me. FAs were wonderful. I loved my little self-contained entertainment system and enjoyed several movies. The leather seats were very comfortable and I had a great nap. The IAD to STN flight was flight was otherwise uneventful. I thought the trip thus far was a very good value, to arrive rested and well-fed.

On arrival in STN, I took advantage of MaxJet's arrangement with the airport Radisson SAS, which is just a short walk from the arrivals area. The concierge checked my bags, and I enjoyed a nice hot shower and a buffet breakfast (all free with your MaxJet boarding pass!) before hopping on the Stansted Express to London.

I returned on Monday morning to check in for the JFK flight. At the Maxjet ticket counter (it was not on the monitors!) I was informed the STN-JFK trip was significantly delayed (more than 6 hours) and offered my choice of that now very late flight...or a transfer to Virgin Atlantic Upper Class direct to IAD...but departing from Heathrow. I jumped at the VA offer, and 3 others and I were bundled into a Maxjet-paid taxi for a pleasant hour-long ride to LHR. The folks at the Virgin Atlantic counter were lovely, and seemed genuinely pleased that Maxjet was having so many problems so more people could try their product! They mentioned that there were unaware of any formal arrangement between the two airlines but that "this happens a lot". The counter agent also took my US Airways FF #...maybe I'll even get miles for the flight (none yet)!

I had never been to the LHR VA Upper Class Clubhouse/lounge and was honestly dazzled. I enjoyed a relaxing complimentary facial treatment in the Cowshed spa, several glasses of excellent wine, a plate of nice sushi and some really good cheese. It was heaven. Rather than minding the delay, I never wanted to leave the lounge!

Once on board, we were treated to repeated, friendly offers of premium drinks (I tried the special cocktail, a nice Bellini!), snacks (salt and vinegar chips or salted almonds) and a v. nice dinner (starter was soup or shrimp cocktail; entree was choice of lamb, salmon, or a potato-cheese pie veg option). Dessert was bakewell tart with custard (ok, not fabulous) or strawberries with ice cream. Then anouther round of ice cream later, plus choice of heavier snacks before landing (mini-ploughman's, sausage roll, or soup).

I watched a couple of movies, although actually I didn't like their entertainment system as much as MaxJet's. It had no ability to pause to rewind or anything, so you had to watch on the same cycle as everyone else, but this was a relatively minor complaint. I put my flat-bed down to try it out; it was really nice even if the guy next to me was snoring too loudly for me to sleep!

I also had a manicure (have I EVER gotten off a plane looking better than when I got on?)

Thanks, Maxjet. I might fly with you again... but only in the hopes my flight gets cancelled and I get to fly Virgin Atlantic Upper Class!

Happy travels...
nov4bride
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:54 pm

Another reason to try Virgin Atlantic. Seize the moment!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:26 am

Programs: some
Thanks for the report. And welcome to FT, nov4bride!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 8:20 pm

Great report! Max jet is a good airline they just need to work out the MAJOR issues they have with their planes, thats pretty much their only issue ive seen. Their in flight service is great for the price.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Brings back memories of my only VS UC experience LAX-LHR last year. Great report! ^
Old Jul 23, 2007, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA, BA, B6, DL, UA 1K, VA, VX
VS is AWFUL......Maxjet is AWESOME

I had a similar experience when my Maxjet flight was cancelled due to the Fall Schedule change. I was rebooked on VS from IAD-LHR. The VS UC is the worst. The worst seats, the worst food, and the worst service. I was never so uncomfortable in my life. The Maxjet return STN-IAD was AWESOME. Comfortable seats, great food, and great service. On the Maxjet flight I was regretting having rebooked on VS and should taken the flight out of JFK. Oh well, Live and Learn!!!
Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:10 pm

Unhappy should I stay or should I go...

Months ago I reserved 3 tickets with Maxjet, with departure from IAD by the end of September 2007 and return on the first decade of October. I got a little scared by all the list serve that grade Maxjet as very unreliable at the least. I'm going with the family including my son of 8 years. I 'm having nightmares of me and my family going through a nightmare trip with delays and canceled flights. I also need to attend some urgent business. I'm thinking to cancel and book with another airline, but I'm afraid now it's too late and expensive. I usually fly business with Delta and United, but I was appealed by the price of Maxjet, that should let us fly in business at a very reasonable price. I'm asking to my fellow frequent fliers, especially those well informed about Maxjet, if the situation at IAD of Maxjet is improved or it's still the same. Any feedback will be very appreciated.

Gianni
Old Aug 11, 2007, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up update...USAir Dividend Miles credited!

Wow, this was a great deal! I ended up with full miles plus 100% status bonus for my return trip on Virgin. So total of about 7K miles. No miles for my originally booked IAD-STN portion on MaxJet of course. Not bad for my initial purchase of about $900!

And Gyanni, based on my experience, it seems likely that one of your MaxJet segments will be delayed. For me, it was the IAD-STN part. But...the substitute flight was excellent.

Good luck!

nov4bride

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.