Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Old Apr 3, 2007, 6:25 pm

Two posts, and both the same question. Nice.
Anyway, in the time it took to do the same thing twice, you could have A) searched or B) called AMEX.
To answer your question, I don't know.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by kevinsac

I don;t remember what I paid for the AMEX Platinum card, but I value the services I get with it........but I never use it. I use the Starwood AMEX to get points into my SPG account.
Exactly what I do.

With respect to ExpressPay, I did not realize that the Starwood Card has ExpressPay. I will have to try it. I have been using my Continental card at places that have ExpressPay or similar payment systems.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Imagine all the shrunken genitalia all over the Western Hemisphere because the new card doesn't say PLATINUM.

:-: :-: :-: Newsflash - United States. Men holding the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card were seen stuffing their pants, en masse. Women holding the cards were stuffing their bras in UNPRECEDENTED NUMBERS. Such shrinkage has not been seen since the great cold spell of 1416. Egos, especially within 100 nautical miles of 33°56' N 118°24' W are popping faster than a zits on 13 year olds. Officials cannot be reached for comment.:-: :-: :-:

The change of design has not affected my life, except I had to call to activate the card, again
Old Apr 4, 2007, 3:15 pm

Starwood Amex Promo +20% points on purchases

Recently got this via email, appears to be targeted as one has to put in an RSVP code. You folks might be able to get it by logging in to your AMEX acct via the link. I'm trying to amass 60k points into my acct without spending 60k$ so I can get 3 nights in Florence or Rome. Alas, fine print says 5k bonus max

[Quote] Throughout the month of April, you can earn 20% more Starpoints on every eligible purchase you make with your Starwood Preferred Guest(R) Credit Card from American Express. Simply enroll today to automatically earn a 20% bonus.

Use your Card when you're traveling, shopping, or dining out — and your April purchases can bring you closer and closer to your dream vacation. Whether it's a peaceful beach or an exciting city getaway, you'll be there sooner the more you use your Card.

Enroll now at americanexpress.com/starpointspromo1 and enter RSVP code xxxxx [Quote]
Old Apr 4, 2007, 3:18 pm

i wasnt eligibile as usual..
Old Apr 4, 2007, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Premier Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by chipshot4me
received my card 10 days ago and not only the look has changed, but they reset my "member since" date to 07 from 04! They had no explanation or offer to correct. Still like the card benefits but it's obvious to me that this change wasn't very well thought thru before implementation.
Same thing happened to me - I'm surprised they couldn't get this right.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2mm), SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chipshot4me
received my card 10 days ago and not only the look has changed, but they reset my "member since" date to 07 from 04! They had no explanation or offer to correct. Still like the card benefits but it's obvious to me that this change wasn't very well thought thru before implementation.
I called them about the date thing & they realized it was a problem. My guess is that if you want the correct "member since" date on your card, you can call them in a while & get a new card sent out. The CS agent that I spoke to said they were not able to reprint new cards now but were working to correct the problem.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 1.93MM+, UA Gold, SWA Comp Pass, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
changes in *wood AMEX card

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Imagine all the shrunken genitalia all over the Western Hemisphere because the new card doesn't say PLATINUM.

:-: :-: :-: Newsflash - United States. Men holding the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card were seen stuffing their pants, en masse. Women holding the cards were stuffing their bras in UNPRECEDENTED NUMBERS. Such shrinkage has not been seen since the great cold spell of 1416. Egos, especially within 100 nautical miles of 33°56' N 118°24' W are popping faster than a zits on 13 year olds. Officials cannot be reached for comment.:-: :-: :-:

The change of design has not affected my life, except I had to call to activate the card, again
OMG - I LMAO on this thread!!

On a more serious side, I don't give a crap about the "platinum" designation. However the "member since" does mean something to a merchant who accepts the card. I make quite a few "reimbursable" purchases to max the point benefits and I've heard of noob's being denied as being potentially being fraudulent/stolen. Never happened to me, but..

Many thanks to all who found the same issue (member since..) and suggestions how to get it corrected.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:34 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by wheresTWA
I called them about the date thing & they realized it was a problem. My guess is that if you want the correct "member since" date on your card, you can call them in a while & get a new card sent out. The CS agent that I spoke to said they were not able to reprint new cards now but were working to correct the problem.
I had this problem when I first got my new card about 6 months ago. Spoke to about 8 different people and had the card reprinted 3 times, same problem. Seems they are pulling the date from the incorrect field, but no matter what they tried, even though all records on their end show a different Member Since date, the card came out wrong. Hopefully they are working on a fix for this. My card makes me look like I'm a noob.

Cheers,

Adrian
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:35 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Lefty

The only good thing about the new card imho, is that it has the built-in Express Pay feature, which the old card did not.
This is the advantage of coming here and not spending as much time in useless airline forums (one that sounds like "eh, eh" comes to mind ).

I didn't know what express pay was, didn't know that my *wood amex was eligible...and found that mine does not have the symbol (so is not activated) so I called and they're sending me a new one!

Cheers.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:43 pm

Programs: SPG Plat., HH Silver
How do you know if your card has express pay or not? I assume it would have some kind of chip embedded on the card, like european credit cards or the old amex blue, right? Am i missing something?
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:44 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by AdrianVanzulli
The Hilton Amex card....it's associated with Hilton though.

Cheers,

Adrian
And that fact alone makes it worth the $30 a year so I can stay at a beautiful SPG property OR move my points to an airline at a reasonable rate.

Hilton throws you some extra bonus points, but then they force you to convert to an airline at a ridiculous rate (see AA at almost 7:1).

Additionally, their resorts/overseas stuff is tired and not as plentiful as SPG, and the rate to redeem at a resort property in Hilton is high.

Better get a lot of those bonus points!

'nuff said
Old Apr 4, 2007, 7:10 pm

I'm not eligible either. Probably means I spend too much on the card to begin with and AMEX has no reason to incintivize me.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, Avis CC, AMX Plat, SVO
Not eligible... darn the luck!
Old Apr 4, 2007, 9:35 pm

I have 2 cards.
One card tied to my SPG number and I'm Plat - I'm not eligible
My wife's card, which I also use but is tied to her SPG number and she's got NO STATUS (unless you count AAA as status) and she has no stays and NO POINTS (as I transfer all the points to my account) - is also not eligible.

Two ends of the Starwood spectrum and neither is eligible.

Big bummer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.