Wiki Posts
Search

LCY Rant

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC blue dust
LCY Rant

I've been flying from there for the last 20 years, and it's usually OK. Some days are worse than others but this morning was an utter .sh*t show. So many bags sent through to secondary and only 3 people to check them. It took 25 minutes for someone to finally get to mine, all that to check my bottle of hair conditioner. Made it to the gate just as boarding was closing, only to be herded onto a bus to a remote stand. Boarding via front steps only....
BAeuro likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:49 am

Programs: Some
Yep. I’ve moaned about the screening issues before also. If you go through at quiet times then the new scanners are great, at peak times, though, all it takes is a small surge of people and the number of trays being sent to secondary now (must be 25%+ at least) completely jams up the scanner as there is no more space for the waiting trays. They need to get this sorted before the peak season starts in June or LCY isn’t going to have a great departure experience this summer. It took three scans of the tray before they worked out the issue was the banana in my bag last time.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 2:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Irreverent Medusa
I've been flying from there for the last 20 years, and it's usually OK. Some days are worse than others but this morning was an utter .sh*t show. So many bags sent through to secondary and only 3 people to check them. It took 25 minutes for someone to finally get to mine, all that to check my bottle of hair conditioner. Made it to the gate just as boarding was closing, only to be herded onto a bus to a remote stand. Boarding via front steps only....
I just want to see a picture of your hair to see whether it was worth the hassle

Last edited by the-doctor; Apr 16, 2024 at 3:54 am
Old Apr 16, 2024, 2:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
…. my bottle of hair conditioner....
Snake oil ?
Old Apr 16, 2024, 3:16 am
formerly JackDann

I'm still sceptical about how much time saving these new scanners offer. There must be some data from elsewhere in Europe that shows how much time they save?
Markie and Kgmm77 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
City is the nearest airport to me but I now usually fly out from Heathrow or Gatwick so I can use a lounge :-). Usually it's fine leaving from City but went on a Monday morning early once and it was AWFUL. So great airport to leave if you have a non-peak flight and no lounge access, otherwise a great airport to fly into...
Old Apr 16, 2024, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by the-doctor
I just want to see a picture of your hair to see whether it was worth the hassle now
My hair is rather long so I don't have to explain how messy it could get 😂
wrp96 and the-doctor like this.

Last edited by Irreverent Medusa; Apr 16, 2024 at 3:43 am
Old Apr 16, 2024, 3:27 am

It took 25 minutes for someone to finally get to mine, all that to check my bottle of hair conditioner..
Because you're worth it.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 3:41 am
Original Poster

What really annoys me is the inconsistency of it all. I flew from LCY 2 months ago with the same conditioner in the same bottle and my bag didn't go to secondary. Secondary wouldn't be an issue if they had more staff. I think I will pen an email to LCY. I'm sure they're aware and I'm sure they don't care...
timlewis808 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 3:46 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
The CT machines at all UK airports seem to give a less consistent experience. With the same bag my secondary rate has gone from less than 10% to well over 20%.

Whether this is staff unfamiliarity or somehow inherent in the process time will tell.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by JD1905
I'm still sceptical about how much time saving these new scanners offer. There must be some data from elsewhere in Europe that shows how much time they save?
I've said this in other threads, but at AUS they use the new scanners and you get barked at to keep everything in your bag and every-single-time my laptop bag ends up getting a secondary check. They tell me the same thing: too many things in the bag too close together and the new scanners can't cope. All they then do is take the items out to check manually.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
These new scanners where you do not remove anything are making security slower??
shuuy likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
My experience today (flying with LH) was actually quite good.

At 07:45 we joined the queue which doubled snaked back to the start of the chicane, just after the entry gate where you scan your boarding pass.

The queue moved steadily throughout and after I went through the security arch my tray was waiting for me.

There were about five trays selected for secondary.

This was my first time going through the new style scanner and it was slightly better than usual.

It took maybe eight minutes.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
These new scanners where you do not remove anything are making security slower??
It's faster if your bag doesn't go for secondary. The problem with LCY is that they are woefully slow at dealing with secondary...
stampcollector likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CoweyB
My experience today (flying with LH) was actually quite good.

At 07:45 we joined the queue which doubled snaked back to the start of the chicane, just after the entry gate where you scan your boarding pass.

The queue moved steadily throughout and after I went through the security arch my tray was waiting for me.

There were about five trays selected for secondary.

This was my first time going through the new style scanner and it was slightly better than usual.

It took maybe eight minutes.
I was there a bit earlier than that, - 7.30 and it took 5 minutes to get through the arch. Where our experience differ is that there were so many bags heading for secondary in my lane, that the trays were not moving forward. My bag was 6th or 7th in the queue for secondary and I finally left the security area at 8am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.