Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Bar Storage Procedure - Would You Say Something?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bar Storage Procedure - Would You Say Something?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2024, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Crew Helping Themselves - Would You Say Something?

Just got off a short hop on a CX flight to HKG. I was on my way to the lav at the end of the flight and witnessed the lead cabin crew (the one with dark blue/purple outfit) pouring an opened bottle of red wine into a large plastic bottle then stuffing said bottle into her carry on suitcase. Thought nothing of it, if it was going to be dumped anyway might as well let her enjoy.

Then as I exited the lav, I saw her putting whole unopened bottles of Champagne into her bag as well. Other crew saw it too but were not saying anything at all. Now, this was after the captain made the 30-min to landing announcement, so inflight service has concluded and I was not personally in anyway inconvenienced by her actions (other than having to awkwardly hangout in front of the lav door for about 2 min to wait for her finishing her shopping spree.)

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I am guessing this not the typical procedure of inventory and securing the Bar Cart prior to landing. I know morale at CX hasn’t been great, but not sure if that can be used as a justification for whatever she did.

My question is, should I say something to someone? If you saw this on your flight, would you have said something?

Last edited by LausanneBoy; Apr 16, 2024 at 8:43 am
Old Apr 16, 2024, 12:16 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Don't want to be that Delta Diamond https://onemileatatime.com/news/delt...ht-attendants/

I'm not sure about bar cart procedure - either specific to CX or from a general POV. Since this is ending in HKG, my expectation will be unfinished wine and champagne bottles and perishables like milk will probably be chucked. I'm not sure what happens to unfinished bottles of liquor (carry over to another flight, but cater a fresh bottle?).

Not exactly appropriate or healthy for ISM to be appropriating company property - weren't they reporting on each other for that pre-protest? But certainly I won't bring it up.
littlevoices and DutchessPDX like this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:12 am

Programs: Cathay GO, Marriott GO
While it may not be appropriate to have done so, it's not like she is stealing fresh unused bottles and the opened bottles will likely be chucked anyway... it also doesn't affect you as a passenger... I personally wouldn't say anything. In fact, I rather someone gets to enjoy the left-over wine and champagne than have them thrown away.
fergiethefocus likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hkhighflyer
it's not like she is stealing fresh unused bottles and the opened bottles will likely be chucked anyway...
to be clear, she did actually take both - unfinished (mediocre) red poured into her water bottle, and 2 full bottles of unopened, cork-in-bottle (less mediocre) Ayala champers…

guess someone has a party planned tonight

Last edited by LausanneBoy; Apr 16, 2024 at 8:43 am
Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:29 am

Fraud triangle - the rationalisation? Crew are seriously underpaid?
Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:51 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Fraud triangle - the rationalisation? Crew are seriously underpaid?
That does not mean they can steal from the company.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 3:12 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
I would.

The person in question has a mentality, that imho, takes away from the customer experience. And the airline.

The only time I’ve seen something like this, was on UL. Look where they are.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 3:16 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by LausanneBoy
to be clear, she did actually take both - unfinished (mediocre) red poured into her water bottle, and 2 full bottles of unopened, corked in bottle (less mediocre) Ayala champers…

guess someone has a party planned tonight
Flicking Unopened bottles is rather brazen- wouldn’t there be a check on the number of bottles? I say so because the 1 time I saw something similar on UL, I also saw the crew member open unused bottles, and pour into a water bottle, presumably to not have missing bottles- full or empty.

guess different airlines, different policies?
Old Apr 16, 2024, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Flicking Unopened bottles is rather brazen- wouldn’t there be a check on the number of bottles? I say so because the 1 time I saw something similar on UL, I also saw the crew member open unused bottles, and pour into a water bottle, presumably to not have missing bottles- full or empty.

guess different airlines, different policies?
Or given it's CX in HK:
- don't expect catering to remember to count the offloaded bottles
- (similar to) don't expect somoene audits 2747 3333 call recordings post-call even if staff tell you an outright porky (porkies)
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:46 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by LausanneBoy

My question is, should I say something to someone? If you saw this on your flight, would you have said something?
No you shouldn't say anything, it's none of our business as passengers. Obviously this should not happen and is wrong but it's nothing to do with you or I, a different story if you are a Cathay Pacific Manager.

Cathay is aware of this occasional sort of behaviour and is known to take action. Personally I would have just given an awkward smile to the crew member concerned and carried on with my business.
fergiethefocus and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Not only would I not report it, I would ask them if I could have some too

I've been on long-haul flights on foreign carriers and even the US3 where they have told me in F or J at the end that they needed to get rid of food and beverage and they offered it to people. Not bottles of wine, however.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drivingflyingwalking
No you shouldn't say anything, it's none of our business as passengers.
My only counter to that would be, some beancounters at CX HQ could (unlikely, but not impossible) mistake behaviours like these as genuinely increased alcohol consumption, thereby encouraging them to offer even cheaper drinks to stay within their champagne alcohol budget, which in turn hurts the pax ex in the long run.

But yeah, not looking to be a kraren, just surprised that it happened on a carrier like CX I guess.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 9:21 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Is this CX? IIRC CX does not have blue/purple cabin uniform
Old Apr 16, 2024, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Is this CX? IIRC CX does not have blue/purple cabin uniform
Yes, they do...the ISM wears dark blue/purple.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 6:32 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Yes, they do...the ISM wears dark blue/purple.
geez. I tot it was black

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.