Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Small bump from a catering truck 14/04/23 BA1498

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2024, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Not long after boarding BA1498 (G-EUUA) on Sunday evening we were surrounded by fire engines with their lights and sirens as well as a police car. Captain reassured passengers that there had been a small accident whereby a catering truck had bumped into the back of the plane and this was why fire crews had arrived as per protocol. Cue fire fighters on board and heading to the back of the plane, BA engineers and DoCo folk.

To the huge credit of BA they managed to get the (I assume small) dint/scrape checked & confirm the plane was safe to fly and departed within 90 minutes or so. Initially feared the worst and a likely cancellation but kudos to all involved for being appropriately cautious and thorough but expeditious.

Crew were fantastic and made the flight thoroughly enjoyable thereafter - prompt service with a smile, a joke or two and regular drinks top ups

A chance to say well done BA (& hope the poor person who had the prang isn’t hauled over the coals!)
crazy8534, PLeblond, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
I see the new paint job didn’t last long. Wonder how long that scrape will stay on the aircraft for?
Old Apr 16, 2024, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Seems like the caterers have been putting something in their staff meals recently…!! This one was Gate Gourmet

https://viewfromthewing.com/25-milli...medium=twitter
wrp96 and Bluekjp like this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
We landed around 2000 on Sunday and were wondering where the blue lit fire engines were going. Mystery solved.
DocS and Bluekjp like this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Seems like the caterers have been putting something in their staff meals recently…!! This one was Gate Gourmet

https://viewfromthewing.com/25-milli...medium=twitter
I get that a catering truck may be slightly tricky to handle, hence backing into the BA plane, but the VS incident looks like the driver drove straight into the engine nacelle!. Is that the normal level of driving skill in NYC?.
Bluekjp likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 6:51 am

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
Originally Posted by SpurMan
Is that the normal level of driving skill in NYC?.
​​​​​It certainly is, while texting and Instagramming on the phone. One prime reason to have life insurance here.
JakeHendy, DaveS, tmac100 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by cvision
​​​​​It certainly is, while texting and Instagramming on the phone. One prime reason to have life insurance here.
Agreed - especially with the number of firearms around in the USA (often owned by folks who know nothing about using them safely/effectively).
Old Apr 16, 2024, 9:32 am

Programs: BA blue, very lapsed Delta
Meh. I was once waiting to board an EasyJet flight and the refuelling truck hit and dented one of the engines really badly. They had to fly another aircraft in! I’ll see if I can find the picture..:

IAMORGAN and Bluekjp like this.

Last edited by MysoreBound; Apr 16, 2024 at 9:38 am
Old Apr 16, 2024, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by SpurMan
I get that a catering truck may be slightly tricky to handle, hence backing into the BA plane, but the VS incident looks like the driver drove straight into the engine nacelle!. Is that the normal level of driving skill in NYC?.
Gievn the vast number of times I’ve been cut up my ground vehicles turning into cul de sacs and stands in the likes of EWR and LAX, I’d say that was a good day out in JFK. It has seemingly gotten worse.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 3:37 pm

*sigh* ground veichles and airplanes..... my airline actually had an airplane written off because a fuel truck hit it *really* hard..

EK had a 380 in YYZ, catering truck was servicing the upper galley, and the truck fell over onto its wing. Plane was here for *months* while Airbus figured out how to fix poor thing. (I didn't envy the Airbus mechanics, there aren't any hangers at YYZ that can take a 380, so repairs had to be done outside, in the Canadian winter.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.