Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BER September

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2024, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Red, HH Gold
BER September- worst use of Amex voucher ever?

Now, obviously supply and demand exists, but looking at flights to BER in September (around the weekend of the marathon), it's pushing £1000 return! Anyone know if there's something else on that weekend (27-29 Sep)? Managed to get, at great physical pain, J return for £250+10500 avios+Amex voucher. Is this the worst use of an Amex voucher ever?!

Last edited by stampcollector; Apr 16, 2024 at 4:42 am
Old Apr 16, 2024, 4:42 am

LCY - BER return on those dates is £393 in Y. Exit row in a BACF flight with snacks and a drink may be your best bet if you can cancel.

Fairly expensive still but keeps your voucher and Avios.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'd say the worst use of an Amex voucher is to let it expire without using it. Other than that, there is no bad or wrong use of a voucher. If you weren't planning on using it for something else, it's a perfectly sensible thing to do, and seems to have gotten you a 75% discount (excluding the Avios) to somewhere you wanted to travel.

I used one last year to go to Madrid, as it had been extended a couple of times through Covid. Given the time remaining on the voucher, and the fact I had no inclination to go somewhere far-flung in longhaul J or F, it made sense (to me) to use it for a long weekend in Europe.
KARFA, stampcollector and Rim1 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cw novice
LCY - BER return on those dates is £393 in Y. Exit row in a BACF flight with snacks and a drink may be your best bet if you can cancel.

Fairly expensive still but keeps your voucher and Avios.
I considered this but flying down from NCL would mean trekking across LDN, when are BA going to start NCL-LCY?!
Cw novice likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 4:52 am
Original Poster

As you say, much better to use it going somewhere you want/ need to go is much better than jsut trying to force it onto a LH J or F ticket for the sake of it.
GM1985 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 4:56 am

There’s also an International trade show 24th-27th ( Inno Trans )
Markie likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boothen
There’s also an International trade show 24th-27th ( Inno Trans )
This will definitely explain why the flights and hotels are all extortionate that week then!
Old Apr 16, 2024, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by stampcollector
Now, obviously supply and demand exists, but looking at flights to BER in September (around the weekend of the marathon), it's pushing £1000 return! Anyone know if there's something else on that weekend (27-29 Sep)? Managed to get, at great physical pain, J return for £250+10500 avios+Amex voucher. Is this the worst use of an Amex voucher ever?!
Yes I’d say it was - if it was me I would have forked out £77 for FR to Leipzig and £51 for the EZY flight back from BER on those dates
Swanhunter and stampcollector like this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by stampcollector
I used my AMEX voucher on a single J flight from AUS simply as I wanted to get home and there was no availability over the eclipse weekend. AMEX voucher opened up additional Avios availability, which is a huge bonus sometimes...
stampcollector likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.