Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Booking ITA Matrix fares over the phone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking ITA Matrix fares over the phone

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2024, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Question Booking ITA Matrix fares over the phone

Does someone know what information from ITA Matrix I need to provide over the phone to Delta to get a fare that shows available on ITA Matrix to be pulled up successfully by the Delta agent on the phone?
I tried with multiple agents yesterday and the reply I got was that the fare was not available even though it shows as available yesterday and today on ITA Matrix and I'm able to pull up the fare on delta.com using ITA Matrix Powertools.

Some background: I am trying to change an existing reservation (I don't think I can use ITA Matrix to make a change online?) and trying to change it to KL and AF flights and fares since it is almost half the price of the very same metal flights on DL flights and DL fares. The fare shows as available on the AF website and ITA Matrix. I just started using ITA Matrix recently and am loving it, but still figuring some things out. I realize this is complicated by trying to get KL and AF flight numbers on Delta stock.

Apologies if this information is somewhere else and I wasn't able to find it with my searches. Thank you!!
Old Apr 16, 2024, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Be careful with ITA if using multi-city as it does not check married segment availability. You can potentially bring up AF/KL fares from ITA on delta.com with ITA Matrix Powertools browser extension, but it won't let you exchange an existing DL fare. Not sure how much luck you will have with DL agent.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 16, 2024 at 11:18 am
Old Apr 16, 2024, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
Be careful with ITA if using multi-city as it does not check married segment availability. You can potentially bring up AF/KL fares from ITA on delta.com with ITA Matrix Powertools browser extension, but it won't let you exchange an existing DL fare. Not sure how much luck you will have with DL agent.
Thanks for the insight xliioper, I'll keep that in mind for multi-city fares. In this specific case it is a round-trip fare going outbound on KL and returning on AF.

Are there different limitations on fare availability for exchanges compared to new tickets? I assumed the paid amount for an existing ticket could be applied to an exchange for all tickets?

Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Why not just cancel your existing reservation and apply the eCredit when booking online?
JustHereToFly likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Segments and booking codes are all that should be necessary, unless you are pricing something other than the lowest available in your booking code.

Originally Posted by JustHereToFly
Are there different limitations on fare availability for exchanges compared to new tickets? I assumed the paid amount for an existing ticket could be applied to an exchange for all tickets?
No. Generally, using the value of an existing unflown ticket toward the value of a new ticket at today's prices should always be an option. If you post the exact itinerary, people here might be able to help point out any issues.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:01 pm

Generally, using the value of an existing unflown ticket toward the value of a new ticket at today's prices should always be an option. If you post the exact itinerary, people here might be able to help point out any issues.
As long as it’s not BE.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
As long as it’s not BE.
You should functionally be able to "change" a BE ticket too, although it's technically cancel -> eCredit -> ticket and you'd pay the change fee.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
As long as it’s not BE.
it’s not a BE ticket. The issue the phone agent said was they couldn’t get the new itinerary to price.

I should also say that I am able to pull up this itinerary and price (same as ITA Matrix) on the Air France site.

Last edited by JustHereToFly; Apr 16, 2024 at 9:49 pm
Old Apr 16, 2024, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
Segments and booking codes are all that should be necessary, unless you are pricing something other than the lowest available in your booking code.
thanks findark

Is the booking code the same as the Fare class/code? I just googled it and found conflicting explanations.

Perhaps that is what I did wrong? I only gave the fare code and segments? when I call again should I give the entire fare codes instead?
Old Apr 17, 2024, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JustHereToFly
Is the booking code the same as the Fare class/code?
It is the single letter occurring after the class of service, such as Delta One (I) would be in I class.

DLTERM and other command-line systems should be set up to auto-price based on an input like "date orig dest flight rbd" for each segment, e.g. "05-May-24 MSP CDG DL152 I". If an agent wants the information in that order, it's a good sign they're not just using the same website you are.

If the new itinerary doesn't price, perhaps there is a valid reason for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.