Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Converting reward flight to earn Tier Points? GGLs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways

Hi everyone,

Are there any creative ways / techniques to earn Tier Points, on what is initially a reward booking? Perhaps for GGLs?

I take a lot of short haul CE reward flights, but often only know a few days before if I need to cancel.

When I know l I’m travelling for sure, I check the commercial & BAH prices, to try and part with some hard earned cash, in return for lovely Tier Points.

Yet almost always, the price of seats that close is then ££££s, and it’s impossible to justify switching. Usually in the £10-15 per TP range.

I’d happily pay £2/3/4 a TP on top of my existing reward flight outlay, in exchange for TPs.

Is there any way at all to achieve this creatively please? Perhaps even special options at GGL heights? (which I’d then go for, and easily be able to maintain)

I’m aware upgrading for cash at the airport, etc doesn’t help.

But are there any ‘not obvious’ options?

Many thanks indeed.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Short answer: no.

If you want a flexible ticket that earns tier points then book a fully flexible ticket.

If you want to be in CE, then you can book fully flex Y and hope for an AUP. Might be slightly cheaper in the long term, however not a guaranteed CE seat.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Nope. Paid flights on ba earn an award flights don’t, that’s about all there is to it. You can part pay a paid ticket with avios - but at the paid ticket conditions - but award tickets remain just that regardless of what part of the payment hit it is in cash. Status also makes no difference whatsoever to eligible/ineligible flights.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:42 pm

You can always purchase the Economy Select branded fare which will gives you increased flexibility (cancellation permitted subject to a penalty) that will allow you to purchase at a small premium over/above the non refundable Plus fare. My understanding is the Economy Select fare is only bookable via a travel agency (ie not sold on ba.com) which in itself could bring a raft of other restrictions.... but it is a solution to your problem.

This way you can secure the lower booking classes by continuing to book well ahead of departure and still earn Avios / tier points on your underlying cash ticket plus take advantage of paid upgrades (POUG'S and AUP's) as/when they happen nearer departure once you know your travel is going ahead. Accepting POUG's and AUP's invariably change the rules of your underlying ticket to non changeable non refundable so it's important you only pull the trigger on these once you know your trips definitely going ahead.

More information on the BA branded fares available along with what their general rules and restrictions and differences are can be found here

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Apr 16, 2024 at 1:48 pm
Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways
Thank you all.

Ahh - Select fares. I recall reading about them a while ago.

I couldn’t find a way to quote or buy them online. Is there a way? Preferably with BA directly? Or only via 3rd parties?

Is the cancellation 1-click online? Or only by phone?

Thank you
Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by gbj42
Thank you all.

Ahh - Select fares. I recall reading about them a while ago.

I couldn’t find a way to quote or buy them online. Is there a way? Preferably with BA directly? Or only via 3rd parties?

Is the cancellation 1-click online? Or only by phone?

Thank you
I book Economy Select fares on the Amex Travel website fairly regularly. The fare rules are clearly explained. The only caveat is having to pay for the flight with an Amex card (any Amex card will suffice, it doesn't have to be a fancy one). You can also change/cancel flight bookings on their site now. They also have a fairly decent support team if you prefer to speak to a human after purchase for changes and refunds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.