Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What a day BA1455 [EDI-LHR 29 Apr, G-EUUD]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

What a day BA1455 [EDI-LHR 29 Apr, G-EUUD]

Well that was an experience I’m not keen on repeating!

Came in to land LHR, seemed fine to start with, then while we were still traveling at some pace on the runway, rapidly changed directions to leave the runway (felt like a handbrake turn)
plane then “bouncing” like a car being driven by a learner not use to the peddles.

flowed very swiftly by that arrival of what I can only assume was every fire engine, police car, ambulance, and anything else with a flashing light within a mile radius.

announcement by captain that the steering had stopped working.

followed by an eternity of waiting for a tug to drag us to somewhere and an engineer to check it over.
got taken to an unfamiliar corner of the airport and loaded on to busses.

nice to walk away from that…

Shame about the missed connection and a night in a crap hotel and waiting 45’min for the bus to hotel (asked about Sofitel, and despite it being £160 online, said they couldn’t do it, and if I booked myself they would not refund)
Sealink and JapesUK like this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:05 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
They would have refunded. It's better not to ask.

As for the rest, I guess it could easily have been worse, and good that it was just a delay rather than anything more serious.
wrp96, jmd, Gastrocnemius and 15 others like this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:11 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Well done to the flight crew!

As for the rest, BA would've refunded the hotel.

M
Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dansound

Shame about the missed connection and a night in a crap hotel and waiting 45’min for the bus to hotel (asked about Sofitel, and despite it being £160 online, said they couldn’t do it, and if I booked myself they would not refund)
That isn't correct and I hope you weren't using a Hoppa service. But if this happens again, look at this thread then sort yourself out on your terms.

Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know
bisonrav and MaxFlyer like this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Yes, was a Hoppa bus

I knew the £200 hotel part, but was very firmly ‘told’ I had to take the option they were giving and I’d be going solo if I done anything else. I guess I’ve learnt my lesson.

crew on the plane were great, had a decent chat with the inflight manager who was quite open that she was more than a little surprised with events and it was the first time she had experienced anything like it.

oh well, it’s a nice comfort to be going to sleep tonight after that…events like that certainly make you think about what ifs
Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:40 pm

Every landing you walk away from is a good landing.

Shame you used the Hotel Hoppa, quite simply it's extortion, the public buses are more frequent and cost way less.

Glad everyone is OK.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:49 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Crikey, sounds all rather sudden. Guess that’s why it is important to ready for any eventuality on take off or landing. Glad it all turned out well and as it sounds like a technical issue I guess you will also be eligible if you decided to put in a claim. From reading other posts on here and seeing various photos taken of other aircraft from lounges etc, I guess that is just a standard reflex to send all the blue lights when an aircraft has a problem.

Shame the staff directed you to that hotel, guess they booked at lowest cost or whatever they already had in holding and decided it was that or bust. But the main thing of course is that everyone is ok. I guess you’d be refunded a taxi/uber tomorrow if you didn’t want to take the hoppa from hell. Last time I was in a position that I had to take one the driver reminded me of MAN security staff, barking at passengers left, right and centre.
dansound likes this.

Last edited by ACARS; Apr 29, 2024 at 4:54 pm
Old Apr 29, 2024, 6:09 pm

After an event like this, the only thing that happens quickly is the arrival of the fire engines, every thing else takes a huge amount of time.
wrp96, dansound, jmd and 11 others like this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 6:23 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Every landing you walk away from is a good landing.

Shame you used the Hotel Hoppa, quite simply it's extortion, the public buses are more frequent and cost way less.

Glad everyone is OK.
And a landing you can use the plane again is a GREAT landing

Oldie but a goodie.......
Old Apr 30, 2024, 12:17 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
I was on the aircraft immediately behind you (BA491 from GIB) and you gave us a go around on finals! Captain said that the aircraft in front had lost nose wheel steering. It was 2 out of 2 for the crew as they also had a go around on approach to GIB…
Old Apr 30, 2024, 2:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
There is an interesting video of the event (go to 6mins 35secs in), followed by jmd's go-around.
I know how disappointed the board will be that we are lacking any commentary from Jerry "Woa, Woa, Woa fella, BOSH...."

Shingi, KARFA, dansound and 15 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Looks like the next 5 flights all did standard go arounds, I presume that is safer than aborting landing earlier? After that I guess planes were send to holding patterns.

The landing looks just fine on the video, and it appears to leave the runway too without issue, but then the camera swings back to incoming planes and no fire engines are ever seen. Poor directing!
Old Apr 30, 2024, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by linz36
Looks like the next 5 flights all did standard go arounds, I presume that is safer than aborting landing earlier? After that I guess planes were send to holding patterns.

The landing looks just fine on the video, and it appears to leave the runway too without issue, but then the camera swings back to incoming planes and no fire engines are ever seen. Poor directing!
When faced with a potential multiple go around (missed approach) scenario, it's quite often prudent to allow the aircraft already established on the approach to continue down towards the runway, then conduct the missed approach at 1-2 miles as this builds in predictability and separation when otherwise it can get a little bit chaotic.

When all those aircraft will have to circle back to make another approach to either the same runway, or the other one, all of them loosely flying the same track distance keeps the extended sequence going. If the 2nd, or 3rd turned towards the north earlier you create a conflict point as they would turn inside the aircraft ahead, and cause a bit of a problem.

As referenced further up the thread, there is a routine reaction to a non-standard event such as this that does involve an attendance of the emergency services. Quite often that may/will feel over the top. I think we'd all prefer that to the one event where an under-attendance resulted in an unnecessary delay or worse.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by linz36

It's AI, so I assume it's tracked to the movement or the direction of the incoming flights.
crazy8534 and linz36 like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
From the second or two before the camera swings and the puffs of rubber from the left and then right tyres credit to the crew in what looks like using the brakes to steer the aircraft onto the turnoff. Without the jab on the left brake one wheel may well have gone into the grass which could have the potential to make it a whole bigger issue.
crazy8534 and linz36 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.