Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Compensation for involuntary downgrade to WTP then rebooked in J next day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Hi,
A few months ago, I was flying SFO-JFK-LHR-BRU in paid J. When I got to JFK, I went to the gate of my next flight to get my boarding pass but was informed that the flight was oversold and that I was assigned a seat in WTP. (They were only able to print my BP for the first segment when checking-in in SFO, which initially made me think that was a good sign of a potential op-up to F ).
I inquired about options to be put on a later flight in CW but all flights to Europe on BA / other airlines were sold out in J for the evening. They accepted to rebook me on EWR-BRU on UA the next day in J.

In terms of compensation, do I claim the 600 Euros as I got to my destination a day late? Or the 75% reimbursement for downgrade?
And can I ask a refund for the accommodation of the extra night incurred in NYC? The agent in JFK seemed to think I am NOT eligible as I had the option to take the flight I booked (albeit in a lower class)

On a positive note, the process to get the TPs for original routing was relatively easy using the email template provided here. It just took a while but didn't have to call or follow-up on the request.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:03 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Mict
Hi,
A few months ago, I was flying SFO-JFK-LHR-BRU in paid J. When I got to JFK, I went to the gate of my next flight to get my boarding pass but was informed that the flight was oversold and that I was assigned a seat in WTP. (They were only able to print my BP for the first segment when checking-in in SFO, which initially made me think that was a good sign of a potential op-up to F ).
I inquired about options to be put on a later flight in CW but all flights to Europe on BA / other airlines were sold out in J for the evening. They accepted to rebook me on EWR-BRU on UA the next day in J.

In terms of compensation, do I claim the 600 Euros as I got to my destination a day late? Or the 75% reimbursement for downgrade?
And can I ask a refund for the accommodation of the extra night incurred in NYC? The agent in JFK seemed to think I am NOT eligible as I had the option to take the flight I booked (albeit in a lower class)

On a positive note, the process to get the TPs for original routing was relatively easy using the email template provided here. It just took a while but didn't have to call or follow-up on the request.
It sounds like you flew in J in the end so you get delay compensation, your hotel and meals paid (within reasonable limits). No downgrade comp as you were not downgraded.
DiamondMile and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I didn't think that there would be delay compensation, since this was a voluntary change. the passenger could have flown as booked with no delay, albeit downgraded
Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Pretty sure you’re only due duty of care for the night you stayed in NYC as goodwill, EU261 treats it as voluntary flight change, but in most cases BA will pay if you claim.

You can’t claim for a downgrade as you flew J and as it was a voluntary rebooking you can’t claim EC261 but why not try (but expect to be rejected)
Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, it may be worth a claim, sometimes BA's IT has advantages......
Old Apr 25, 2024, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the inputs, I will try my luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.