Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US-UK in F Options?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2024, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
US-UK in F Options?

I'm flying to the UK in a few months and planning to fly in First. I'm trying to weigh a few options:

JFK as starting point vs IAD/BOS. JFK has the nicer lounge, IAD/BOS have the A380.

LHR as the destination vs GLA. What is the lounge-on-arrival situation on an inbound F ticket? And what of rebooking if a connection blows at Customs? All of the connections to GLA are like two hours, and there's been a LOT of bad press on delays on that front. Spending a night in London and catching a train (or even taking the Caledonian Sleeper) isn't a bad option.

Thoughts?
Old May 3, 2024, 12:52 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Where is your origin and where is your final destination?
With no other info I would prefer JFK-LHR over BOS, but there are a lot of things that could change that.
If you need to end up in Scotland a lot depends on where. If central Glasgow, taking the plane is going to win every time over train given you are flying in to LHR anyway.
Old May 3, 2024, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
If you are ending your trip at LHR then the Arrivals Lounge is your only lounge option. If you are transitting LHR on your way to GLA then you could use the Concorde Club Room and/or the Arrivals Lounge depending upon the length of your connection.
Old May 3, 2024, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I was about to ask the same - where do you actually want to go?!

Experience wise, there is really little between those. Food will actually likely be better with F dining from IAD or BOS compared to Chelsea, A380 has very spacious F though 77W from JFK usually have the suites with doors. All three flights are too short to do much but bear in mind day flight is an option from the East coast. Anyway, personally, I'd pick based on where I want to go.
Old May 3, 2024, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Where is your origin and where is your final destination?
Haha yes! Depending on where your final destination is, personally I'd take business nonstop to Edinburgh, theres DL/UA/B6 JFK-EDI or BOS-EDI DL. It's not first, but business nonstop beats first + economy seat shorthaul connection.
willoL likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
So, I'm ending up in Glasgow...but I'm very likely flying out a few days before I need to be in Glasgow (due to timing on cheap(er) available tickets - weekend tickets just cost more.

My tentative plan for JFK, FWIW, would be to have tea and dinner in the Chelsea lounge before my flight. I would potentially be coming into NYC the night before (possibly on AA, possibly on Amtrak) so as to avoid any issues on AA. I have an ultimate origin of ORF/RIC, but BA won't book RIC-XXX-LHR, and ORF-XXX-LHR only offers a single flight connecting out of ORF (and doesn't offer any alternative routings).

I have considered a day flight. I'm not a morning person, however, so that gets uncomfortable for me. Also, on the day I probably prefer to fly the day flight is like $9-10k [!] to LHR instead of $1700, and like $12k [!!] to GLA instead of $1900.
Old May 3, 2024, 1:22 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by cauchy
Haha yes! Depending on where your final destination is, personally I'd take business nonstop to Edinburgh, theres DL/UA/B6 JFK-EDI or BOS-EDI DL. It's not first, but business nonstop beats first + economy seat shorthaul connection.
It's a good point, but I don't think I agree 100% with your analysis. I have taken F+Y over J many times. Admittedly it is usually Y+F not F+Y.
Old May 3, 2024, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
I'd fly F from JFK, have dinner in the Chelsea, sleep on the plane then have a shower in arrivals followed by breakfast in the CCR section of arrivals then go upstairs and enjoy some champagne in the CCR before you fly to Glasgow.
SFO777 likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cauchy
If I didn't have the match to BA for Gold that requires a round-trip on BA, I'd potentially be booking DL/VS instead.

[B6 isn't a bad option, but their lack of partners and lounges sort-of kill that. UA is a non-consideration. So in general, for me it's AA/BA or DL/VS.]
Old May 3, 2024, 1:52 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I was about to ask the same - where do you actually want to go?!

Experience wise, there is really little between those. Food will actually likely be better with F dining from IAD or BOS compared to Chelsea, A380 has very spacious F though 77W from JFK usually have the suites with doors. All three flights are too short to do much but bear in mind day flight is an option from the East coast. Anyway, personally, I'd pick based on where I want to go.
I don't know about BOS, but F benefits, including F dining, at IAD aren't a patch on the benefits at JFK, including check in and the Chelsea lounge. Neither the F mini dining lounge at IAD nor the Chelsea Lounge have windows anyway!

A380 offers buddy dining, and there aren't too many 777s left with that, certainly none with doors in F. That door on some 777s often frequenting JFK isn't that much of a reason to choose JFK, but the unreliability of the A380 might be.
Old May 3, 2024, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Speedbird Julie
I'd fly F from JFK, have dinner in the Chelsea, sleep on the plane then have a shower in arrivals followed by breakfast in the CCR section of arrivals then go upstairs and enjoy some champagne in the CCR before you fly to Glasgow.
Alright. Based on feedback (and the fact that the 380s aren't vanishing next week) it looks like JFK wins.

So, now it's down to JFK-LHR-GLA, ORF-JFK-LHR, or just JFK-LHR.

Most of the BA connections (via the website) are like 1:20 or so, with the longer ones being 1:50. I presume I'd have to collect my luggage and there is no universe where I'd trust an international->domestic connection of 1:20 where I have to clear customs/immigration in the interim. Would it be possible/practical to book a separate connecting ticket or to do this multi-city? Would BA honor the same-day connection on separate tickets with the relevant lounge access?
Old May 3, 2024, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Frankly, coming from Virginia, I'd pick IAD without a second hesitation. It will take you between 2 and 3 hours nonstop train from Richmond to DC. You can either go in the morning and continue to the airport on the same day, or go in the afternoon and spend the night in DC.

Taking the train to New York will add nearly 4 more hours for nothing. Hotels are vastly better value in DC than in NYC if you decide to spend the night (and it's a great city for a day) and transport in DC is easier too (even though it has improved for NYC if you use LIRR). I just think that picking JFK adds a lot of inconvenience for very little. Chelsea is an ok lounge for a couple of hours, but by no means an outstanding one. It is not a place where I'd like to spend too long (if only because it has no natural light) and again the F dining from IAD and BOS is usually better than the Chelsea food menu despite recent improvements IMHO. Finally, IAD is less congested and less prone to delays and cancellations than JFK.

BOS is even further away and gives you even less time to sleep on board than JFK which is already less than IAD..
gustavmahler and GrayAnderson like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Alright. Based on feedback (and the fact that the 380s aren't vanishing next week) it looks like JFK wins.

So, now it's down to JFK-LHR-GLA, ORF-JFK-LHR, or just JFK-LHR.

Most of the BA connections (via the website) are like 1:20 or so, with the longer ones being 1:50. I presume I'd have to collect my luggage and there is no universe where I'd trust an international->domestic connection of 1:20 where I have to clear customs/immigration in the interim. Would it be possible/practical to book a separate connecting ticket or to do this multi-city? Would BA honor the same-day connection on separate tickets with the relevant lounge access?
You would only have to collect your luggage if you choose to buy separate tickets. If you purchase JFK-LHR-GLA, you would collect your bags at GLA. If you purchase ORF-JFK-LHR or JFK-LHR you would collect your bags at LHR.
GrayAnderson likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Frankly, coming from Virginia, I'd pick IAD without a second hesitation. It will take you between 2 and 3 hours nonstop train from Richmond to DC. You can either go in the morning and continue to the airport on the same day, or go in the afternoon and spend the night in DC.

Taking the train to New York will add nearly 4 more hours for nothing. Hotels are vastly better value in DC than in NYC if you decide to spend the night (and it's a great city for a day) and transport in DC is easier too (even though it has improved for NYC if you use LIRR). I just think that picking JFK adds a lot of inconvenience for very little. Chelsea is an ok lounge for a couple of hours, but by no means an outstanding one. It is not a place where I'd like to spend too long (if only because it has no natural light) and again the F dining from IAD and BOS is usually better than the Chelsea food menu despite recent improvements IMHO. Finally, IAD is less congested and less prone to delays and cancellations than JFK.

BOS is even further away and gives you even less time to sleep on board than JFK which is already less than IAD..
Contra this:
-BOS/JFK are the same price, IAD is another $800 to GLA or $300 to LHR (so at this point IAD-GLA is probably out on price).
-I've done both JFK and IAD via rail, and IAD is the bigger pain in my experience.
--I like the food more in NYC ;-)

Edit: So, I spot-checked the price. IAD-GLA is a non-starter because of the relative cost to split my ticket, but IAD-LHR/LHR-GLA isn't. And the effective cost to split off JFK-LHR/LHR-GLA is extremely low.

Last edited by GrayAnderson; May 3, 2024 at 2:46 pm
Old May 3, 2024, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
JFK as starting point vs IAD/BOS. JFK has the nicer lounge, IAD/BOS have the A380.
I wouldn't personally fly in F on the A380. I've done it twice and it's a shabby, dated seat with a very slow IFE. I take Club Suite over this just because I get so annoyed with paying the premium for that seat.

Like others have also said there's nothing hugely special flying out of most US airports, even with F, JFK aside. The new JFK lounges are something special and a step up from the LHR F lounge. Also, flying out of JFK you might - might - be lucky to get the new 2020 F with the door, which is like a better and bigger version of the Club Suite.
GrayAnderson likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.