Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online "check in" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016 | 5:34 am

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Basically at all your hotels where I've used the online check-in option so the list long. In my experience it doesn't work at all, it's useless. I've always needed to show my passport and fill up some papers. It always takes a couple of minutes before the keys are handed over.
Old Mar 21, 2016 | 5:39 am
Original Poster
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
50 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
it's useless
^
Old Mar 22, 2016 | 11:53 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; SK Gold; Accor Platinum; IHG Diamond-Amb.; Meli/HH/Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by AccorHotels Concierge
what would be great is if you could provide me with the hotel you used the online check in for
As others have said, this seems to be a fundamental problem rather than individual properties not getting it right.

That said, my most recent experience (mentioned in post #87 above before my stay) was at the Novotel London City South last week. As I feared, OLCI brought no benefits and saved no time. A room had been pre-allocated and key cards prepared, but I still had to show my passport, sign a form and -- this was new -- was asked to show my physical LCAH card before being given drinks vouchers.

The room was technically an upgrade but didn't match the preferences in my profile (high floor, away from lift).

A particularly strange touch was an envelope bearing my name and room number. I opened it expecting some kind of welcome letter, but instead found promotional materials inviting me to join LCAH and a map that I didn't want or need.
Old Mar 22, 2016 | 1:15 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by IMH
A particularly strange touch was an envelope bearing my name and room number. I opened it expecting some kind of welcome letter, but instead found promotional materials inviting me to join LCAH and a map that I didn't want or need.
I can't stop laughing.

I would have taken that envelope to the reception and asked them to change that map and LCAH brochure to my Platinum benefits. Did you get any by the way, except a room upgrade?
Old Mar 22, 2016 | 1:45 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; SK Gold; Accor Platinum; IHG Diamond-Amb.; Meli/HH/Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
[...] Platinum benefits. Did you get any by the way, except a room upgrade?
Yes: drinks and chocolates. I've posted a brief report here.
Old Mar 22, 2016 | 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited5M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
In my case, the only hotels where OLCI "worked" (I mean there was a benefit in the way formalities were simplified) :
Sofitel Budapest
Sofitel Angkor
Mercure Istanbul Taksim
Sofitel Montral
Novotel Tunis
Ibis Tunis

Where it was totally useless (no differerence):
Pullman Barcelona Skipper
Sofitel Phnom Penh
Novotel Singapore Clark Quay
MGallery Phoenix Yogyakarta
Sofitel Bali Nusa Dua
Sofitel Warsaw
MGallery 3 Nagas Luang Prabang
Novotel Toronto centre
Mercure Porto centro
Mercure Madrid Plaza de Espana
Novotel Bangkok airport
Pullman Phuket Arcadia Nathan beach
Pullman Hong Kong Park Lane
Novotel Ambassador Seoul Gangnam

And several hotels for which I don't remember. To be honest, I cannot also guarantee that I received the OLCI e-mails for 100% of the hotels I mentioned above (my memory has some limitations )
Old Mar 29, 2016 | 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Angry Do not use OLCI

I have just come across another "glitch" of Accor OLCI system. Please see here for details :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26405455-post77.html

I will never use Accor OLCI again (and especially knowing that it is useless in most hotels anyway)
Old Apr 11, 2016 | 2:29 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: HHonors, Accorhotel Platinium, Nordic Choice Platinium
I did OLCI because I find it's an easy way if you have to ask for early check in (or upgrade), but I realized no one ever read what I could write on OLCI.

Last week at Novotel London Excel, I asked for early check in (OLCI). When we arrived (10 am) I was told the room was not ready (I checked the night before and there were availability...). Never mind, we left our luggage in the luggage room and we went for a walk in London.
When we came back (late at night), I was given the room keys in an envelope (with drink vouchers). On this envelope there was a "post-it" note that clearly was not for me but for the staff members.

I did not notice it at first, and obviously, the staff at the reception did not either. The note stated "Please hand out VIP bag", that I was not given (and I forget to ask about it next morning).
I had the same situation the week before in a Mercure in Lyon. It was there written on the note "ask for a pre-payment authorization", which I was not asked by the staff.
Accor should teach staff what these post-it are for : there are not for the customer !
Old Apr 11, 2016 | 12:11 pm
Original Poster
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
50 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by nrouxel
The note stated "Please hand out VIP bag", that I was not given (and I forget to ask about it next morning).
maybe "burn points" cancels out "VIP bag"
Old Apr 11, 2016 | 12:57 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: HHonors, Accorhotel Platinium, Nordic Choice Platinium
Originally Posted by starflyergold
maybe "burn points" cancels out "VIP bag"
He must have read "make a bonfire with the VIP bag "
Old Apr 11, 2016 | 7:37 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Have to rant about this. I just came across this thread and OLCI has failed every time I've stayed at the Ibis HK in Sheung Wan. I go through all the formalities as I would if I didn't OLCI. It's completely pointless.
Old May 2, 2017 | 10:04 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Is there any point in OLCI at all? Doesn't it simply guarantee that you don't get an upgrade?

I was offered OLCI today for Novotel SZZ but when I went to the check-in page it showed the original room I booked (standard). Surely if I do OLCI then I'm locking in the standard room and foregoing any chance of an upgrade, yes?

At least at Marriott when it offers you OLCI via the app it says 'Eligible for Upgrade' at the point you hit 'Check in', and sure enough you do receive appropriate upgrades according to status once you get there (it will usually show on the app before arrival).

BTW I tried the app a few times but every time it turned out to be buggy garbage so the less said about that the better.
Old May 2, 2017 | 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Is there any point in OLCI at all?
No point at all. Totally useless. I don't do it anymore.
Old May 2, 2017 | 1:44 pm
IMH

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Is there any point in OLCI at all?
No. None.

I tend to try it every six months or so, just in case, but it has never saved me time at reception or made my experience easier or better in any way.
Old May 3, 2017 | 1:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
I do think it speeds up the check-out. You simply drop off the key card at the front desk (in the envelope you get during check-in with the room number on it). Done. No wait in case there's a line, no wait for a print out of the receipt/invoice.

I prefer receiving the receipt via email as well. That way I don't have to scan a paper receipt.

Some of the other perceived disadvantages of the OLCI I cannot confirm, either.

For one thing, I've received room upgrades after having done the OLCI. Admittedly, sometimes I saw the agent tear up an OLCI print-out and start over with the check-in process.

For another, some Accor properties allow you do request a room upgrade online prior to doing the OLCI (e.g., the Pullman Brussels).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.