Wiki Posts
Search

Online check in unavailable?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2024, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Online check in unavailable?

I was rebooked on an Aer Lingus flight tomorrow since my United flight from EDI-ORD was diverted to DUB. I have the booking code and ticket but when I try to check in on Aer Lingus’s website it let’s me go through the whole process, then says online check in is not available and I need to check in at the airport.

I’m a little concerned because I don’t have a seat assignment and selecting one in the online check in process doesn’t save the seat. I called Aer Lingus and they said they can’t do anything. Does anyone know why I can’t check in online?
Old Aug 6, 2024, 1:56 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Flights booked through travel agents and other airlines won't play nice with online check in, especially in your case as it was booked at less than 24 hours notice. You need to add advanced passenger information before attempting check in, then come back and try again a few hours later to see if it's sync'ed up. Normally it just plain refuses or checks in without allowing choice of seat but to get as far as seat selection and it then to drop out is unusual

It could be a SSSS situation, which isn't too bad at Dublin as its handled at the entry to the US CBP area.

Be sure to arrive 3 hours before departure as you have the added layer of doing US immigrations and customs in Dublin prior to departure.
alserire and gfunkdave like this.
Old Aug 10, 2024, 9:04 am

Programs: Gold Circle Prestige, Emirates Silver, Hhonors Gold, Sixt Platinum
On a side note, anyone know what the CBP lines are like these days? Flying to ORD in the morning at 11.30 and was planning on getting to the airport at 9, flying in J
Old Aug 10, 2024, 9:59 am

Have you downloaded the MPC App ?
Old Aug 10, 2024, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

When I flew home the other day from DUB there was no line at CBP.
niallco and alserire like this.
Old Aug 10, 2024, 10:21 am

I have now and completed it + saved the form
Old Aug 10, 2024, 10:36 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by niallco
On a side note, anyone know what the CBP lines are like these days? Flying to ORD in the morning at 11.30 and was planning on getting to the airport at 9, flying in J

That’ll be fine. Loads of time.
niallco likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2024, 3:08 am

In case anyone is following or interested, I was through CBP in around 3-4 minutes at 9.30am on a Sunday
alserire, DELLAS, MM00LL2 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2024, 9:44 am

Programs: AL Aer Club Concierge / Aadvantage Platinum / Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by niallco
In case anyone is following or interested, I was through CBP in around 3-4 minutes at 9.30am on a Sunday
Interesting. A colleague messaged me this morning at 10.30 saying that there was a huge queue. Took him about an hour to get through - even allowing for some poetic exaggeration on his part, that's quite a change in an hour.
I'm going through tomorrow for the 16:20 to IAD so will see what it's like then.
Old Aug 11, 2024, 10:33 am

Even 30 mins everything can change in my experience and that applies to check in / security / lounges and CBP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.