Mini RTW Questions

Old Sep 12, 2014 | 2:03 pm

Maybe it was posted before, but I have noticed that the fuel tax from Europe to NA is significantly lower than the other way on the same route. So if one does not need an extra 2 stops, it might be cheaper to get 2 one ways. My test was using LH on most segments.
Old Sep 13, 2014 | 9:46 am
Formerly known as newbie elite
20 Years on Site

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond, AC50K
Any idea on how long to wait for an award ticket to be reissued to me? I added a segment to an award flight, AE agent said it had to go to a fare desk for the taxes to be recalculated. Did this last night (friday) at 7PM so perhaps will have to wait until monday? Last time I changed I got the email with the updated ticket right away (there was a recalculation as well) but it was during business hours. Only added an AC YUL-YYZ segment as well, you would think that would be simpler than the previous change which involved TK.

Not worried, more curious as the flight shows up properly on manage my booking on AC's website.
Old Sep 13, 2014 | 9:50 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by newbie elite
Any idea on how long to wait for an award ticket to be reissued to me? I added a segment to an award flight, AE agent said it had to go to a fare desk for the taxes to be recalculated. Did this last night (friday) at 7PM so perhaps will have to wait until monday? Last time I changed I got the email with the updated ticket right away (there was a recalculation as well) but it was during business hours. Only added an AC YUL-YYZ segment as well, you would think that would be simpler than the previous change which involved TK.

Not worried, more curious as the flight shows up properly on manage my booking on AC's website.
Unfortunately, at LEAST Monday. Reason I say "unfortunately" is because some airlines have a 48 hour window to ticket - and if AC slacks off, your segments get cancelled. Happened to me once on CA. I would advise phoning in Monday morning to expedite.
Old Sep 13, 2014 | 12:01 pm
20 Years on Site

Man, there was no rush either did not even realize it was Friday evening, should have done it Monday AM. Will call in on Monday at least wait times are not bad on AE.
Old Sep 13, 2014 | 12:25 pm

Man, there was no rush either did not even realize it was Friday evening, should have done it Monday AM. Will call in on Monday at least wait times are not bad on AE.
I fail to see your concern, and the difference is ?
Old Sep 13, 2014 | 3:11 pm
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I fail to see your concern, and the difference is ?
My concern is if LO and/or TK use this aforementioned 48 hour window, this means that Sunday night my tickets expire and I have to deal with an AE gong show on Monday morning to get them back.All that for a stupid additional YUL-YYZ segment (on a YUL-YYZ-WAW-IST-YUL J redemption) I could have added on Monday morning when they could have reissued it immediately.

Apart from that, no concern.

99% everything will be OK on monday morning, but have read too many horror stories on this board about the 1% that goes wrong. If there was extensive TATL reward inventory in Jul/Aug 15 I would not be concerned but we all know the sparse availability of YQ-less J to Europe...

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Sep 13, 2014 at 7:19 pm
Old Sep 14, 2014 | 11:46 pm

My concern is if LO and/or TK use this aforementioned 48 hour window, this means that Sunday night my tickets expire and I have to deal with an AE gong show on Monday morning to get them back.All that for a stupid additional YUL-YYZ segment (on a YUL-YYZ-WAW-IST-YUL J redemption) I could have added on Monday morning when they could have reissued it immediately.

Apart from that, no concern.

99% everything will be OK on monday morning, but have read too many horror stories on this board about the 1% that goes wrong. If there was extensive TATL reward inventory in Jul/Aug 15 I would not be concerned but we all know the sparse availability of YQ-less J to Europe...
No guarantee that on Monday it would have been immediate. I had previously waited few days before it was calculated for payment on some what they called difficult itinerary, changed during the day time and on Wed. I think and received a call on a weekend. I was also told that they actually block the seats for me. But Monday is near and you will find out. Why expiry on Sunday?
Old Sep 15, 2014 | 5:13 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
No guarantee that on Monday it would have been immediate. I had previously waited few days before it was calculated for payment on some what they called difficult itinerary, changed during the day time and on Wed. I think and received a call on a weekend. I was also told that they actually block the seats for me. But Monday is near and you will find out. Why expiry on Sunday?
If he ordered on Friday evening and if the carrier imposes a 48hr ticketing window, it would have been on Sunday night. What you said about Monday is true - it wouldn't have been immediate - but don't forget that they'd have 2 *calendar* days to work. Doing it on a Friday night effectively wastes those because they no longer work weekends.

To be fair, it's not ALWAYS bad - I think most carriers permit longer ticketing windows, etc. I would generally not be concerned unless it's a VERY tough to get route or critical to keep party together etc - generally it works out okay. But it's something we need to be aware of - if we book Thursday or Friday, tickets are unlikely to be issued before the following Monday, so it's worth a call to Aeroplan on the weekend to prod them.
Old Sep 15, 2014 | 8:44 am
20 Years on Site

Gong show initiated still no re-issued ticket but I now have a tracking number! It is in the queue and this could take hours or days according to the AE agent. All this for an AC YUL-YYZ segment of course!

She said my seats were confirmed and that I have nothing to worry about. That is usually the last thing you want to hear. Oh well, not much to do but wait.
Old Sep 15, 2014 | 9:19 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: A Few
Gong show initiated still no re-issued ticket but I now have a tracking number! It is in the queue and this could take hours or days according to the AE agent. All this for an AC YUL-YYZ segment of course!

She said my seats were confirmed and that I have nothing to worry about. That is usually the last thing you want to hear. Oh well, not much to do but wait.
One of my upcoming award tickets just came out of the ticket exchange/re-issue queue on Saturday (so yes, contrary to what has been discussed above, they do work over the weekend). It was in the queue for 12 days.
Old Sep 15, 2014 | 11:10 am

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
One of my upcoming award tickets just came out of the ticket exchange/re-issue queue on Saturday (so yes, contrary to what has been discussed above, they do work over the weekend). It was in the queue for 12 days.
12 days? .... it appears they don't even work on work days if it takes that long.
Old Sep 15, 2014 | 12:29 pm
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
Thanks for that data point, makes me feel less lonely

EDIT: ticket just arrived in my inbox, everything OK. Still happy I called this morning to check. Thanks for all the info to the people that helped me. Much ado about nothing finally...

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Sep 15, 2014 at 1:18 pm
Old Sep 15, 2014 | 1:07 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I understand for YVR-TATL routes, transiting YVR-YYZ-TATL only adds a 400-mile hit against MPM.

Does anyone know if the same is true if I go YVR-YUL-TATL?

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2014 | 1:33 pm
10 Years on Site

That's not how it works. YVR-YYZ is around 2k miles, but for mpm YVR-YYZ-Europe that segment still counts for 1600, which is a 400 mile discount.

It is not 400 mile total.

YVR-YUL-Europe works the same way.
Old Sep 16, 2014 | 11:50 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Backtracking question:
I'm going to book this tomorrow morning:
YVR-NRT-CTS/CTS-HND-MUC-LUX/GVA-ZRH-YUL-YVR

Now, I'm planning on watching regularly for non-LH or NH to open up on TYO-Europe and hopefully get a refund on some YQ; will this trigger "backtracking" because of the double stop in ZRH if I grab LX161?
If so, I can also opt for the last segment as GVA-FRA-SFO-YVR but then I would have to ride UA's rickety old 747. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.