Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Changed Itinerary on New Carrier - Will I still earn my AP Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Changed Itinerary on New Carrier - Will I still earn my AP Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Changed Itinerary on New Carrier - Will I still earn my AP Miles?

Hello All - I just got back from a trip to DEL from YYZ. I have been looking for an answer to this question, but can't seem to find one on the forums.

Here's the situation:

Booked Turkish Airlines:
YYZ-IST-DEL departing YYZ on Jan 16
DEL-IST-YYZ departing DEL on Jan 28

Flight was booked in L class (70% total miles flown)

The trip to DEL was fine, but on the way home, the DEL-IST flight was delayed causing me to miss my connection from IST-YYZ.

Turkish then proceeded to book me on a different flight with a different carrier (Lufthansa) with the following route:

DEL-MUC-FRA-YYZ

The question is will I still get credit for the miles flown and will it be at 70% as that was the earning % of the original flight that I booked?

Also - my wife was booked on the same flight as me but we used points to purchase a reward ticket - is there a way that we can get points for her flights as the ticket was changed?

Who would I contact to get the miles if they are not credited? Turkish, Lufthansa or Aeroplan?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by AP4Life; Jan 29, 2012 at 7:18 am
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess it will depend upon the fare that they booked you in on the LH flights. Policy is posted on the Aeroplan site. I believe it was reposted only yesterday in a thread very simular to yours, that you might have looked at (instead of starting a new thread on virtually the same topic).

As to your wife's Aeroplan ticket, no she should not get miles. But depending how the change was done, if she gave them her Aeroplan number, who knows...
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
First of all, to OP, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Originally Posted by Stranger
Policy is posted on the Aeroplan site. I believe it was reposted only yesterday in a thread very simular to yours, that you might have looked at (instead of starting a new thread on virtually the same topic).
Easy there. Suggest checking the post count first.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Will get miles based on route flown. Would expect that they likely booked you into a fairly high LH class so you may come out ahead. The carrier switch with *Ais a unique situation that we haven't discussed.

If you end up with less than 70% of miles flown based on the switch I would complain to AE.

For the reward ticket if you had added the Aeroplan number at the departure gate you have probably earned miles as would have booked you in a revenue class. Too late now as Aeroplan will look at the original ticket.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Exactly. You'll actually do better than originally expected. When an airline rebooks you on another carrier, you are booked into a full fare category. If you look at your LH boarding stubs, you will see a class code (M, Y, W...) in the middle box and this will be the fare under which you will earn your AE miles. Your account number (or indicator code: AEG, AES, AEB, *G...) should show on this new boarding pass too. So you will likely earn 100% mileage on the LH flights. And your wife's award ticket will have now reverted to a paid fare and if her AE number is on the boarding pass, she will earn mileage too.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Exactly. You'll actually do better than originally expected. When an airline rebooks you on another carrier, you are booked into a full fare category. If you look at your LH boarding stubs, you will see a class code (M, Y, W...) in the middle box and this will be the fare under which you will earn your AE miles. Your account number (or indicator code: AEG, AES, AEB, *G...) should show on this new boarding pass too. So you will likely earn 100% mileage on the LH flights. And your wife's award ticket will have now reverted to a paid fare and if her AE number is on the boarding pass, she will earn mileage too.
No always, UA rebooked me to YYZ after our flight in IAD was cnx. Orig tickets were in S class, the rebook on UA to ORD and ORD to YYZ on AC were also booked in S.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yul36
No always, UA rebooked me to YYZ after our flight in IAD was cnx. Orig tickets were in S class, the rebook on UA to ORD and ORD to YYZ on AC were also booked in S.
Right thing is to book in the same class. But it does not always happen that way. Could be in a better one, or a worse one. Enough testimonies about latter in FT to be concerned.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Update!

Hey All - so I spoke to Aeroplan and they said that because Turkish rebooked me on a lower class flight, I have to live with it.

Has anyone had this situation happen to them before? Is it really possible that I won't get the miles that I paid extra to Turkish for?

When I purchased the ticket, I purchased online and that fare class didnt qualify for any miles, so i had to call to upgrade my ticket to a class that would give me 70% of the miles flown.

If anyone can provide thier experiences, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
AP
Old Feb 11, 2012, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL AC*E50
Originally Posted by AP4Life
Update!

Hey All - so I spoke to Aeroplan and they said that because Turkish rebooked me on a lower class flight, I have to live with it.
You should qualify for "original routing credit" based on your purchased route. Make sure you still have the original receipt showing the booking class you bought. All airlines do this, so I would hope Aeroplan does as well.

Dont take NO for an answer.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Absolute RUBBISH. If TK rebooked you on a lower fare, then you did not receive from TK what you actually paid for. This is, IMO, up to TK to rectify and they do have to rectify it. This is not a case of "well we got you there like the ticket said we would". They got you there, yes, but in a different booking class. So they have not provided what they agreed when you bought the ticket. It's a breach of contract.

IMO this is not really Aeroplan's doing, though the answer you got is p1ss-poor customer care, which is de rigeur at AE. Bad client care aside, sounds to me like TK did not pay AE for the status miles and I can't see how that's AE's problem to fix.

Good luck and thanks for the (albeit unhappy) update!
Old Feb 11, 2012, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Souvlaki

IMO this is not really Aeroplan's doing, though the answer you got is p1ss-poor customer care, which is de rigeur at AE. Bad client care aside, sounds to me like TK did not pay AE for the status miles and I can't see how that's AE's problem to fix.

Good luck and thanks for the (albeit unhappy) update!
I was wrong, it looks like unlike in most other FFPs, its actually in Aeroplan Terms and Conditions to screw you over in this situation.

It is absolutely Aeroplan's doing, all other FFPs will award for original routing, but it seems that Aeroplan deliberately changed this policy to screw rerouted customers.

I am surprised Aeroplan does not credit original mileage on rerouted tickets, but then again it is Aeroplan.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Hello All - I just got back from a trip to DEL from YYZ. I have been looking for an answer to this question, but can't seem to find one on the forums.

Here's the situation:

Booked Turkish Airlines:
YYZ-IST-DEL departing YYZ on Jan 16
DEL-IST-YYZ departing DEL on Jan 28

Flight was booked in L class (70% total miles flown)

The trip to DEL was fine, but on the way home, the DEL-IST flight was delayed causing me to miss my connection from IST-YYZ.

Turkish then proceeded to book me on a different flight with a different carrier (Lufthansa) with the following route:

DEL-MUC-FRA-YYZ

The question is will I still get credit for the miles flown and will it be at 70% as that was the earning % of the original flight that I booked?

Also - my wife was booked on the same flight as me but we used points to purchase a reward ticket - is there a way that we can get points for her flights as the ticket was changed?

Who would I contact to get the miles if they are not credited? Turkish, Lufthansa or Aeroplan?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Welcome to FT!
You might want to be a bit careful with this ticket as you must clear EU customs in MUC.
AE's policy is to screw you over, unlike other rewards programs.
If it were me I would have rerouted via TG to BKK, then have a TPAC from there on AC.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Welcome to FT!
You might want to be a bit careful with this ticket as you must clear EU customs in MUC.
AE's policy is to screw you over, unlike other rewards programs.
If it were me I would have rerouted via TG to BKK, then have a TPAC from there on AC.
yes, the OP will have to watch out ... considering this was already flown
And, yes AC flies to BKK
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: AC E, Priority Club Plat, Hyatt Plat
If you ask to be put on an AC flight(s) make sure it's not on the new international tango fares.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Cool

Originally Posted by rankourabu
yes, the OP will have to watch out ... considering this was already flown
And, yes AC flies to BKK
Or TG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.