Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:14 am
Original Poster

My god AC!

*sigh*

What a backwards airline this is

I was looking at flights for Thu Feb 23rd YYC-LAX-YUL

AC572
AC774

Both showed no R space on Air Canadas website which I found very odd, so check flighstats...

AC 572 (AC) Air Canada YYC 7:15 PM LAX 9:25 PM E90 n/a 0 Business Class Availability
Flight: AC 572
Cabin: Business
Seats: 0
Fare Classes: R/0
0 Coach Class Availability
Cabin: Coach
Fare Classes: Y/0 B/0 M/0 U/0 H/0 Q/0 V/0 W/0 S/0 T/0 L/0 K/0 N/0 G/0 A/0
0 Unknown Class Availability
Cabin: Unknown
Fare Classes: J/0 C/0 D/0 Z/0
AC 774 (AC) Air Canada LAX 11:05 PM YUL 7:12 AM 319 n/a 7 Business Class Availability
Flight: AC 774
Cabin: Business
Seats: 7 (at least)
Fare Classes: R/7
9 Coach Class Availability
Cabin: Coach
Seats: 9 (at least)
Fare Classes: Y/9 B/9 M/9 U/9 H/9 Q/9 V/9 W/9 S/9 T/9 L/9 K/9 N/9 G/9 A/9
9 Unknown Class Availability
Cabin: Unknown
Seats: 9 (at least)
Fare Classes: J/9 C/9 D/9 Z/8
So according to fligh stats AirCanada is selling for a flight that has been zeroed out, and will not offer an upgrade on a flight wide open in every single class.

More IT fail or what?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
First of all, the routing you've selected is not sellable by AC as a through fare since one cannot travel to another point in Canada via a US city. Then when I check AC572 on the AC site it shows availability in every class but discount Exec.

You might be able to book these separately and pay the combined fare but there is no joint published fare as cabotage is illegal.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:16 am
alc

Originally Posted by Shareholder
First of all, the routing you've selected is not sellable by AC as a through fare since one cannot travel to another point in Canada via a US city. Then when I check AC572 on the AC site it shows availability in every class but discount Exec.

You might be able to book these separately and pay the combined fare but there is no joint published fare as cabotage is illegal.
Can you explain this a bit more for me? Reason is in 2011, I had purchase a ticket from AC web site for my trip to vancouver with the following:

Fight 1 YYZ-ORD-LAX
Fight 2 LAX-YYC-YVR
Fight 3 YVR-YYC-LAX
Fight 4 LAX-ORD-YYZ

I used the multi-city option for the 4 flights. Just that I meant to pick all non direct to get me more miles in return. Flight 1 + 2 are all on the same date and Flight was a red-eye. The entire trip was on 1 Booking Reference. Or did I miss-understood your respond and you are actually asking the OP to do exactly what I did.

I did get SSSS and the custom agent asking me why I fly this way? In my case, it was actually $250 cheaper than YYZ-YVR-YYZ direct. So I just explain that to the custom agent and they just laugh and let me go.

I was thinking of doing it again to help me get 50K / 50 Segments for AC*E. If it is illegal, I might have to think again.. as I might just got luck last year.

Thanks.

Last edited by alc; Feb 10, 2012 at 9:22 am Reason: edit
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:50 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
I'm pretty sure that AC is allowed to carry passengers between two Canadian cities via the U.S. They are not allowed to carry passengers between American cities via Canada.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by hearna
*sigh*

what a backwards airline this is

i was looking at flights for thu feb 23rd yyc-lax-yul

ac572
ac774

both showed no r space on air canadas website which i found very odd, so check flighstats...

So according to fligh stats aircanada is selling for a flight that has been zeroed out, and will not offer an upgrade on a flight wide open in every single class.

More it fail or what?

ac 572 - r5 y9 b9 m9 u9 h9 q9 v9 w0 s0 t0 l0 k0 n9 g0 a0 j7 c7 d5 z5
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by alc

Can you explain this a bit more for me? Reason is in 2011, I had purchase a ticket from AC web site for my trip to vancouver with the following:

Fight 1 YYZ-ORD-LAX
Fight 2 LAX-YYC-YVR
Fight 3 YVR-YYC-LAX
Fight 4 LAX-ORD-YYZ

I used the multi-city option for the 4 flights. Just that I meant to pick all non direct to get me more miles in return. Flight 1 + 2 are all on the same date and Flight was a red-eye. The entire trip was on 1 Booking Reference. Or did I miss-understood your respond and you are actually asking the OP to do exactly what I did.

I did get SSSS and the custom agent asking me why I fly this way? In my case, it was actually $250 cheaper than YYZ-YVR-YYZ direct. So I just explain that to the custom agent and they just laugh and let me go.

I was thinking of doing it again to help me get 50K / 50 Segments for AC*E. If it is illegal, I might have to think again.. as I might just got luck last year.

Thanks.
There is nothing illegal about buying a multi city routing as you've described as you don't actually have a return ticket to Vancouver via LAX but instead a journey with four segments that are timed to create the YYZ to YVR roundtrip you wanted.

You could not buy YYZ-LAX-YYZ as one segment.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by alc

Fight 1 YYZ-ORD-LAX
Fight 2 LAX-YYC-YVR
Fight 3 YVR-YYC-LAX
Fight 4 LAX-ORD-YYZ
All on one ticket? not bad.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
lol, would seem someone seen that and cleaned it up.

The AC website still shows these flights as upgrade not available when they clearly both have R space.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
This is not cabotage.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
The AC website still shows these flights as upgrade not available when they clearly both have R space.
They have J space, but they don't have R space because they choose not to.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Academic
sometimes its easier to waitlist all the pax and let the GA handle the rest...... (passing the wings)
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Academic
What are you talking about...

Flighstats indicates the flights have R space, AC's website says they do not. I have not called in as we are not T-7 days, but I assume this is just IT fail again..
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:32 pm

lol, would seem someone seen that and cleaned it up.

Not sure if *someone* clean it up.

This is what FS shows.

BTW, once I was told if everything =0 could be a cancelled flight too. But in your case maybe is just a glitch? (Sometimes it happens)

just checked AC site..not sure if I understand what you are talking about (AC572 is 'upgradeable')

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Away from YYZ; Feb 10, 2012 at 12:38 pm
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

I couldnt see it being canceled this far out, maybe they where trying to zero out another flight and hit this one by mistake and thats why FS showed 0ed out before it refreshed...

Or maybe someone else is watching over this forum

dun dun dun....
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:35 pm

Edit message

Last edited by getaround; Feb 10, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.