Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Dorian .. what is Air Canada POLICY vs Hurricanes and such ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SEMM

We are flying this week-end ... wanted to change to Saturday morning either FLL -> YUL or MIA -> YUL but both flights are Y0 ... i am on flight passes for 2 pax already upgraded on Sunday ...

For people who live in Florida, generally speaking when does AC cancel flights, 24, 48 hrs before the hurricane hits? (maybe it's not up to them?) ...

What is the policy for changing a ticket in case of hurricanes ?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: *$ Green
It's going to be just like any goodwill policy. Airlines will assess the situation, make a decision on who can benefit from booking / rebooking, etc.

If you want to preemptively change your booking, you may, but you might be stuck with the bill.

Do note two things:
  1. Once IROP hits your flight, you can change to any airline etc, but before that it is all goodwill and AC will likely force you to stay on AC
  2. FL is garbage when hurricane hits, you will see all flights will go Y0 on all Airlines. Check OFTEN. There will be thousands of people booking cancelling and changing flights nonstop for the next week. Things will be extremely dynamic. Airlines usually uplift some sections on the day before. I think a few years ago on one of the big hurricanes AC added what, 5 or 6 777 flights? All pulled out of maintenance and running on MELs the length of public stall single ply toilet paper, but the uplift was there.
  3. DON'T BE OVEREAGER. A confirmed flight 2-3 days AFTER the hurricane is much more reliable than a flight on the day it will start or the day before. You may push and try hard for that flight, but once it will get cancelled you will have no space on any airline for DAYS (maybe a week), and you will have to wait for the hurricane to finish before the Airlines can schedule and crew extra sections.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
It's going to be just like any goodwill policy. Airlines will assess the situation, make a decision on who can benefit from booking / rebooking, etc.

If you want to preemptively change your booking, you may, but you might be stuck with the bill.

Do note two things:
  1. Once IROP hits your flight, you can change to any airline etc, but before that it is all goodwill and AC will likely force you to stay on AC
  2. FL is garbage when hurricane hits, you will see all flights will go Y0 on all Airlines. Check OFTEN. There will be thousands of people booking cancelling and changing flights nonstop for the next week. Things will be extremely dynamic. Airlines usually uplift some sections on the day before. I think a few years ago on one of the big hurricanes AC added what, 5 or 6 777 flights? All pulled out of maintenance and running on MELs the length of public stall single ply toilet paper, but the uplift was there.
  3. DON'T BE OVEREAGER. A confirmed flight 2-3 days AFTER the hurricane is much more reliable than a flight on the day it will start or the day before. You may push and try hard for that flight, but once it will get cancelled you will have no space on any airline for DAYS (maybe a week), and you will have to wait for the hurricane to finish before the Airlines can schedule and crew extra sections.
good advice !
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
As the projected path of Hurricane Dorian is expected to be a bit more predictable as of tomorrow, I expect that any travel waivers to be issued by AC will not be before then. As described above, anything at this time is pure goodwill. As of now, the major US airlines have waivers in place for flights to the Bahamas but nothing for the US mainland yet.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...rm-dorian.html

tcook052 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Was with some of my MIA based colleagues today and they are heading home to leave again tomorrow or Saturday morning. They don't expect to be able to get out after that.

Of course things can change and it could miss MIA completely, but given the forecast this morning they were not looking particularly good.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I think a few years ago on one of the big hurricanes AC added what, 5 or 6 777 flights? All pulled out of maintenance and running on MELs the length of public stall single ply toilet paper,
Thanks alot

Just laughed so hard I spit out the signature cocktail that AC employees swore did not exist

Last edited by expert7700; Aug 30, 2019 at 5:00 am
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
This thread makes me miss @Dorian

Amazing tips ^
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:16 am
Original Poster

It looks like the hurricane has slowed down but will be stronger ... Cat 4 ...

From CNN:
(...) That would make it the strongest hurricane to strike the state's Atlantic coast since catastrophic Andrew in 1992. It also would put Dorian into the Category 4 range (130 to 156 mph). Winds of at least 130 mph cause catastrophic damage. The National Weather Service puts it this way: Even well-built homes can lose roofs and some exterior walls. Trees and power poles are snapped or toppled. Power outages could last weeks in areas affected by winds of these speeds.

So ... based on the latest information landfall would be Monday ... so previously someone said last flight would be Saturday .. but to me it looks like Sunday would be okay for ALL flights to leave (and maybe stay in Canada) ... Can someone confirm? (based on the latest) ...

Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
AC has not updated their travel notice since yesterday (as posted above).
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Not looking good! I would expect last flights to be Saturday evening, as the wind will definitely have picked up by Sunday morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.