Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Status Passes - what are they and how to use them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
A status pass does not confer your status to the recipient.
So, for example, if you are Super Elite, your beneficiary does not get or have Super Elite privileges. They do not get any kind of Star Alliance Gold privileges.

What is a status pass?
A status pass (sometimes abbreviated as "STPA") grants passengers many of the benefits of elite status (detailed below). One status pass is applied to a booking and extends benefits to all passengers (up to 9), on all flights, on that booking.

The benefits of the STPA don't exactly correspond to any elite tier.

The status pass must be applied before travel commences. It cannot be applied after any flights have been taken. It is unclear whether there is a deadline to apply the pass. A pass can be removed from a booking up to 6 hours before travel commences.

What does a status pass get you?
  • Priority check-in
  • Free checked bags (3 per passenger, 70 pounds), with priority baggage handling
  • Priority security
  • Access to Maple Leaf Lounges ("MLL", including international lounges) and Cafés, prior to your departing flight
  • Priority boarding (Zone 2)
  • Priority standby
  • Unpublished benefit: the STPA seems to confer eUp priority similar to 50K status[1]
  • More details in the FAQ here

[1] The only way to give you enhanced standby priority is to change your general onload priority. This affects standby, eUpgrade requests, and operational upgrades. There are numerous examples in this thread of low-fare no-status passengers receiving operational upgrades due to the Status Pass.

What DOESN'T a status pass get you?
  • Access to Signature Suites
  • Access to lounges not operated by AC
  • Free seat selection
  • MLL guesting privileges
  • E50K status (some of the status pass benefits are similar, but are certainly not comprehensively equivalent to E50K)
  • *G status

How does a status pass get added to a reservation?
The pass must be applied by the person with elite status (E50K, E75K, Super Elite). It can be done through the AC app or via the AC website.

In order to apply the pass, you will need the PNR (booking reference) and last name of any of the passengers on the PNR.

How do I know if the Status Pass actually was added? How can the PAX prove to airport staff that they have one?
The person granting the pass should see the pass applied in their Benefits section under Status Pass. Look at sent passes.

cowtool PNR lookup will indicate "A status pass has been applied" for reservations where it has been successfully applied.

The PAX should have "STPA" on their boarding pass.

Are status passes different depending on the status of the person giving the pass?
No. All status passes are the same. Whether the pass was given by an 50K or a Super Elite is irrelevant.

My status pass expires December 31 2023. What does that mean?
The status pass must be applied before the expiry date. The actual travel can take place any time in the future.

Do they work for award and cash bookings?
They can be applied to both.

Do they work for itineraries involving AC metal but not on a 014 ticket?
Yes, although it may involve making a few calls. Some agents think it can't be done. Try calling Aeroplan, trying calling the general AC reservations line, etc.
Print Wikipost

Status Passes - what are they and how to use them?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2024, 8:20 am

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by wjw
I think there’s something in the FAQ’s that if you want to add a status pass to someone with status you have to call in, can’t do it online.

However, does the baggage allowance of the primary passenger not also apply to others on the PNR? Maybe I was just assuming that to be the case but it isn’t. However, even if it isn’t, the 50k first passenger should get 3X32kg to start. Do you need 6x32kg on this trip?
yes, there is an FAQ addressing giving the status pass to someone who already has access to the benefits, but I was wondering specifically about a reflexive application, which could be handled differently (e.g. tech failure might prevent it). I would just call in and try but it's not my status pass.

The main AC page on benefits sometimes specifically calls out something as applying to all passengers on the PNR (eg. priority security) and sometimes doesn't (baggage allowance). However not saying something is included isn't reliable because sometimes when it doesn't mention that something applies to everyone on the PNR (e.g. priority boarding), it does.

Would never normally need more than a standard baggage allowance but heading overseas for a year, so bringing bicycles and more stuff than any sensible person would for a holiday. Hence the desire to max out free bags.

Old Aug 2, 2024, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you call in, they can add it to anything. I recently did one for my cousin, booked in J, because it's also a one year move and the extra bag has fairly substantial cost savings.
Old Aug 5, 2024, 5:49 pm

SonOfITAG and SonofITAG wife are flying YYZ-LHR-OSL and are on a status pass.

FAQ does not seem clear - will they be able to access the MLL lounge in LHR?

Old Aug 5, 2024, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy

I would guess no. They have access prior to AC operated flights. LHR-OSL is not AC-operated, and the LHR MLL is not eligible for arrival access (not that STPA gets you that regardless).
Old Aug 5, 2024, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy

I don't think so. My reading fits my understanding which is that the SP will apply for the entire journey, but they only get the benefits right before (and on) an AC operated flight.
Old Aug 6, 2024, 11:45 pm

I just added a footnote to the unpublished benefit in the wiki. I was tempted to do it months ago, but now that I've witnessed it first-hand, I've added it.

I would never give someone a Status Pass counting on an operational upgrade, but the STPA effectively gives you 50K status for onload priority, which puts you pretty high on the list if Y is overbooked.
Bohemian1, kalderlake and meepmix like this.
Old Sep 9, 2024, 9:37 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy - Ambassador, Air Canada Aeroplan - Super Elite
i tried reading as much of this thread as possible and tried a search but couldn't find an answer to my question.
I gifted a status pass to a colleague who is flying to NZ on a 014 ticketed fare. Flying AC metal from Ottawa - Vancouver, an 11 hour layover in Vancouver and then flying on an air New Zealand metal ( on a 014 ticket) . Will he be granted access to the AC international departures lounge in Vancouver ?

Old Sep 9, 2024, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by piperdown
i tried reading as much of this thread as possible and tried a search but couldn't find an answer to my question.
I gifted a status pass to a colleague who is flying to NZ on a 014 ticketed fare. Flying AC metal from Ottawa - Vancouver, an 11 hour layover in Vancouver and then flying on an air New Zealand metal ( on a 014 ticket) . Will he be granted access to the AC international departures lounge in Vancouver ?
I don't believe he will. According to the wiki/faq link the benefits only apply prior to and on an AC operated flight.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2024, 9:59 am

Programs: AC E50K
Apologies if this has been addressed before- a cursory search didn't clarify.

If a Status Pass is sent to a PNR that is linked, will both pax receive the Status Pass benefits?

Specifically, sister is traveling on same itinerary as her husband but separate bookings. If they call in to have them linked, and I then send her the status pass, will they both benefit from the Pass?
Old Sep 9, 2024, 10:38 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mmike_319

If a Status Pass is sent to a PNR that is linked, will both pax receive the Status Pass benefits?

Specifically, sister is traveling on same itinerary as her husband but separate bookings. If they call in to have them linked, and I then send her the status pass, will they both benefit from the Pass?
No
canadiancow and mmike_319 like this.
Old Sep 9, 2024, 10:39 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mmike_319

I'd say no: One Status Pass is valid for all passengers booked (up to 9 people) together on one reservation. The pass cannot be added to group bookings of more than 9 passengers.

If passengers are booked on separate reservations, a Status Pass must be applied to each booking in order for everyone to enjoy these travel perks.
mmike_319 and meepmix like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.