Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Food & Beverage - Business Class - International (Jul 2021 - ???)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Food & Beverage - Business Class - International (Jul 2021 - ???)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2023 | 6:11 pm
Original Poster
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
5 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'm sitting on a flight right now with a Hawksworth appetizer (gravlax), Hawksworth main (braised chicken leg), and Hawksworth dessert (brown sugar tart, which I really like), so maybe YYC is just a more premium station?
Old May 5, 2023 | 6:24 pm
awt

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I'm sitting on a flight right now with a Hawksworth appetizer (gravlax), Hawksworth main (braised chicken leg), and Hawksworth dessert (brown sugar tart, which I really like), so maybe YYC is just a more premium station?
How was the braised chicken leg? Ordered the same thing for my flight later tonight!

Old May 5, 2023 | 7:11 pm
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by awt
How was the braised chicken leg? Ordered the same thing for my flight later tonight!

I chose the chicken leg on a recent flight to LHR (about a week ago). I thought it tasted pretty good but my two complaints about it were: it was a little dry but much better than white meat and whether they left it out took long or did not warm it up enough when it was served, as it was just “warm”

Carfield likes this.
Old May 6, 2023 | 8:37 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by illico
I chose the chicken leg on a recent flight to LHR (about a week ago). I thought it tasted pretty good but my two complaints about it were: it was a little dry but much better than white meat and whether they left it out took long or did not warm it up enough when it was served, as it was just “warm”

The presentation sure is poor. It certainly takes away from the whole experience when it looks like it has been slopped down on the plate.
Old May 6, 2023 | 1:44 pm
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
The presentation sure is poor. It certainly takes away from the whole experience when it looks like it has been slopped down on the plate.
This Hawksworth chicken is one of the better things I've eaten on AC in recent years, but you're right, the presentation is lacking. I wonder if AC will ever go back to the days of this (April 2018):

Originally Posted by capedreamer
AC29 YVR-PEK on Apr 22

(Posting live via inflight wifi so please excuse the poor image quality.)

Appetizer: Lobster and prawns with olive salsa verde, tomato confit, marinated artichokes, and roasted garlic aioli

Entree: Barbecue salmon with sriracha fried basmati rice and bok choy

I also customized my meal with the vegetable salad with tomato, hummus, broccoli, and cauliflower instead of the regular mixed greens.
awt likes this.
Old May 8, 2023 | 7:47 am
awt

May 5 AC94 YYZ-BOG. Pre-ordered my meal and ordered the Hawksworth signature Braised chicken leg, they also had Garlic bread as a choice! Guess soft product service is back to "normal" hahaha

My main was piping hot and was surprised by how good it was. Defintiely needs to be served hot instead of lukewarm like in the previous post. The salmon Gravlax was great too. Originally I did not want to eat my meal as it was a red-eye and had ate at the YYZ signature lounge, but then I couldn't help myself. Haha, The service was fantastic on this flight which really shined through along with the meal. By the time I got to the brownie sugar tart, I could only eat a bite as I was pretty full. Overall decent soft product from my experience.
​​​

Salmon Gravlax

Signature Braised chicken leg
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old May 8, 2023 | 8:50 am

Programs: AC 50K
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Pre-departure drinks (aside from a bottle of water at your seat) is not a Domestic or Transborder J standard.
Is AC doing pre-departure drinks again for J International, e.g. sparking wine? I flew J international in 2022 and don't recall pre-departure drinks.
Old May 8, 2023 | 8:53 am
awt

Originally Posted by Sean Douglas
Is AC doing pre-departure drinks again for J International, e.g. sparking wine? I flew J international in 2022 and don't recall pre-departure drinks.
Yes, on my recent flights on International J(May 5th) they offered pre-departure drinks.
Old May 8, 2023 | 9:11 am
20 Years on Site

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Sean Douglas
Yes, it was re-started a number of months ago.
Old May 8, 2023 | 6:41 pm
10 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited2M10 Years on Site

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by awt
May 5 AC94 YYZ-BOG. Pre-ordered my meal and ordered the Hawksworth signature Braised chicken leg, they also had Garlic bread as a choice! Guess soft product service is back to "normal" hahah
Based on the plating of yours vs. the others posted up-thread, yours looks pre-plated and heated as a casserole vs. the others which are heated in trays and plated in the galley.

What you were served was the quality of what NA Signature Class had pre-COVID, whereas now it's just awful.
Carfield and Bohemian1 like this.
Old May 8, 2023 | 6:53 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by D582
What you were served was the quality of what NA Signature Class had pre-COVID, whereas now it's just awful.
Understatement.
D582 likes this.
Old May 9, 2023 | 4:24 am
20 Years on Site

Midnight flight

Originally Posted by D582
Based on the plating of yours vs. the others posted up-thread, yours looks pre-plated and heated as a casserole vs. the others which are heated in trays and plated in the galley.

I think AC 94 is a redeye flight and that's why it is an one-tray dinner/supper service with main courses served in a casserole dish, instead of individually plated in galley. AC seems to serve all business class meals on these late night supper international flights. YVR-BKK/SYD/BNE/AKL all feature this one-tray supper service with main course served in a casserole dish. I personally think it is okay to simplify the meal service, but main course can still be plated individually.

Carfield
Old May 9, 2023 | 4:31 am
Original Poster
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
5 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by awt
How was the braised chicken leg? Ordered the same thing for my flight later tonight!​
Hawksworth or not, I loathe chicken, so I had the beef, which was mediocre airplane beef, as always.
Old May 9, 2023 | 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Hawksworth or not, I loathe chicken, so I had the beef, which was mediocre airplane beef, as always.
I always said, one of these days we should start a new religion, one single rule: no chicken. Maybe it's time to do it?

Anyay, on BRU-YUL today, choice was overcooked beef, overcooked chicken and overcooked cod. I picked the latter; I suspect it survived overcooking less badly than beef or chicken. Of course my wife had chicken and she was not impressed.

To add insult to injury, dinner on Sunday night only featured a surprise menu. Main dish, I had to endure coucou de Malines. :-(
Old May 9, 2023 | 7:12 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Carfield
I think AC 94 is a redeye flight and that's why it is an one-tray dinner/supper service with main courses served in a casserole dish, instead of individually plated in galley. AC seems to serve all business class meals on these late night supper international flights. YVR-BKK/SYD/BNE/AKL all feature this one-tray supper service with main course served in a casserole dish. I personally think it is okay to simplify the meal service, but main course can still be plated individually.

Carfield
While the plated presentation might be a bit nicer, pre-plated casseroles served directly from oven to table maintain temperature (heat) much better (see post 860). The ability to warm dinner plates varies according to aircraft type. Particularly on BOG, nobody wants a 2.5 hour dinner service on a late departure with a 2nd meal to be served on a flight of just under 6 hours in duration.
Bohemian1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.