Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Changes check-in deadline to 90mins for TB/INTL, Queuing system at YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Changes check-in deadline to 90mins for TB/INTL, Queuing system at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by RCyyz
My sister is flying transborder from YYZ this Friday; wheels up 09h00. She just received an email from AC where they "recommend you arrive 3 hours prior to your flight's departure". They add "Please note if you arrive less than 2 hours prior to departure, you're likely to miss your flight."

Anyone doing transborder morning flights from YYZ these days? What's it really like?
​​​​​​
Lots of variables.
​​​​​​
Well, I believe FT record is 12 minutes curb to TB gate.

I came close today. YYZ rental return 4:10pm. Using Nexus and Global entry, got to TB gate at 4:28pm. I could have been 5min faster if I had given up on non working GE machines.

Yet someone could have arrived a half hour after me, in a non nexus lane and spent 60-90 min in security and immigration. The non priority security looked 20 min slower today.

If checking a bag and arriving at a peak (AM) time for TB, 2.5 to 3 hours seems reasonable.

Last edited by expert7700; Apr 28, 2022 at 3:21 pm
Old Apr 28, 2022, 5:24 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by RCyyz
Anyone doing transborder morning flights from YYZ these days? What's it really like?
Please see the appropriate thread in the Canada forum.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
This is the closest thread I could find, feel free to move if there's a better one.

AC seems to be selling flights that fall well below MCT, and I'm wondering if anyone knows whether MCT has changed and the website hasn't been updated, or if these flights are being sold when they shouldn't be?

From recent experiences transiting US ---> Canada at YYZ, a 1h11m connection in the current CATSA environment is a fifty-fifty shot at best for someone with NEXUS, and essentially out of the question for someone without it.

Old Jun 3, 2022, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
From recent experiences transiting US ---> Canada at YYZ, a 1h11m connection in the current CATSA environment is a fifty-fifty shot at best for someone with NEXUS, and essentially out of the question for someone without it.
My experience with US->Canada at YYZ supports your timing, although the actual terminal part is fast - a lot of time is spent waiting for the plane to get docked at a gate.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 2:16 pm

What is the absolute earliest time one may check bags for YYZ Transborder? Generally wouldn't try to go early but our itinerary involves 4 countries and my partner can't OLCI because they need an AC agent to verify their 2 visas and a visa exemption, so hoping to go as early as bag drop opens for the flight to make sure no surprises (valid per Timatic, but you know how check-in agents can be). Flying J.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 3:25 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
What is the absolute earliest time one may check bags for YYZ Transborder? Generally wouldn't try to go early but our itinerary involves 4 countries and my partner can't OLCI because they need an AC agent to verify their 2 visas and a visa exemption, so hoping to go as early as bag drop opens for the flight to make sure no surprises (valid per Timatic, but you know how check-in agents can be). Flying J.
according to AC website 4 hours is earliest for transborder, 3 hours everything else. I’ve never tried to push it, but I expect it is not a hard rule if you are close to the timing as you can definitely have longer connections with through checked bags as long as they are not overnight.
Tranborder May be stricter as the bags go through customs screening.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...es.html#/home:
Old May 9, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: LH SEN/*G
I'm going YYZ-FRA on AC842 at 21:25 on a Thursday evening. I'm going to be sweating it a bit to get to check-in for 19:55 (T-90). Has anyone any experience of how hard and fast that deadline is being enforced? (I'm *G if that makes any difference). I can check in online, but going to have bags to drop. TIA.
Old May 9, 2023, 12:04 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
I'm going YYZ-FRA on AC842 at 21:25 on a Thursday evening. I'm going to be sweating it a bit to get to check-in for 19:55 (T-90). Has anyone any experience of how hard and fast that deadline is being enforced? (I'm *G if that makes any difference). I can check in online, but going to have bags to drop. TIA.
It’s system enforced - customer and baggage acceptance automatically closes at that time. Barring some extenuating circumstances, not much will be done if you miss that time.
Old May 23, 2024, 10:19 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Just wondering if anyone had experience with this 90 minute nonsense still being enforced out of YYZ? (Or adhering to 60 minutes for SE, J pax, etc.) FF spend enough time in airports that we don't need to be doing an extra 30 minutes penitentiary every time we fly AC out of YYZ.
Old May 23, 2024, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Just wondering if anyone had experience with this 90 minute nonsense still being enforced out of YYZ? (Or adhering to 60 minutes for SE, J pax, etc.) FF spend enough time in airports that we don't need to be doing an extra 30 minutes penitentiary every time we fly AC out of YYZ.
Unless you're checking a bag, it's not an issue, but I do know someone who ran into the issue earlier this year.
Old May 23, 2024, 2:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold
I had an OLCI issue a couple weeks ago so had to check in at the counter. Arrived at T-65 minutes. Agent at priority line was unable to check me in, but sent me to a manager who was able to override and do so. Take it for what it's worth (he did work at the airport...) but the manager told me that 90 minutes is a policy choice, 60 minutes is the systems cutoff for check in and he wouldn't have been able to do anything after that, but also told me off and to not push it in the future. 50K on a Y ticket if it matters.
Old May 31, 2024, 4:58 am

Missed the T-90 minute cut-off by 10 minutes or so back in October, YYZ-ATH in J without status and with a bag to check. Evidently after the cut-off they can't process bags via the usual conveyor system. Received a reprimand not to do it again and they tagged the bag for someone to cart to the back manually (bag arrived just fine). Fairly painless and they didn't need to call a supervisor or anything like that (ironically one of my faster AC check-in experiences).
Old May 31, 2024, 9:04 am

Programs: AC SE100k
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Missed the T-90 minute cut-off by 10 minutes or so back in October, YYZ-ATH in J without status and with a bag to check. Evidently after the cut-off they can't process bags via the usual conveyor system. Received a reprimand not to do it again and they tagged the bag for someone to cart to the back manually (bag arrived just fine). Fairly painless and they didn't need to call a supervisor or anything like that (ironically one of my faster AC check-in experiences).
Weren't ALL bags being carted manually back in October at YYZ business check-in? (Maybe they still are! They certainly still were in March, the last time I checked a bag.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.