Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Basic questions about redemptions in Aeroplan 2.0 (post-2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 24, 2023, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Flight reward policy: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-policy.html#/

FAQ

Q: Is it true that every Air Canada flight can now be booked with points?
A: Yes. Every seat that's available to purchase for cash should also be available to book with Aeroplan points. This does not apply when booking through a partner, e.g. United MileagePlus.

Q: How are reward tickets priced?
A: It depends. Tickets that are entirely on partners are priced based on a chart with fixed prices (except Emirates, which also has dynamic pricing). When flights operated by Air Canada are involved, pricing becomes dynamic. Sometimes prices are reasonable, and can even be below the low end indicated in the ranges in the chart. More often, prices are far above the high end of the chart.

Q: Are there change/cancellation fees?
A: It depends on what type of ticket you booked.
  • For Latitude, Premium Economy Flexible, Business Flexible, and First Flexible, there are no fees to change or cancel a ticket (a difference in fare, in points, may apply depending on the changes to make).
  • For other types of rewards, yes, there are fees to change or cancel (unless you're Super Elite).

Q: Can I use my points to book a flight for someone else?
A: Yes. You can book a ticket for anyone. To expand, you don't need to be on the booking, they don't need to be part of your Family Sharing pool, and they don't even need an Aeroplan account. So, anyone.

Q: Can I pool my points with family or friends?
A: Yes. See the thread on Aeroplan Family Sharing.

Q: I can't find availability on [partner X]. Why?
A: Airlines make a lot fewer seats available to their partners than to their own programs. It often requires booking far in advance or very close to the date of the flight to secure space, especially if you're trying to book in premium cabins. Sometimes there are also issues, either technical or other, that prevent Aeroplan from accessing space on certain partners. Consult this thread for information on current issues or if you'd like to complain about lack of partner space.

Print Wikipost

Basic questions about redemptions in Aeroplan 2.0 (post-2020)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2022, 12:08 pm

Another question related to cancellation of award tix

On a schedule change, there is an option to cancel if you don’t accept the proposed schedule change. Are cancellation fees waived in this case?
Old Dec 18, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by inokashira
Thanks for that. I started to cancel my reward flight online, but before finishing the cancellation process, it stated that the points refund could take up to seven days to be credited to my aeroplan account.
Look at your Aeroplan account. The points should be there.

Just cancelled several flights and it was almost instantaneous. Just had to refresh the browser
Old Dec 18, 2022, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by I'llMissCP
On a schedule change, there is an option to cancel if you don’t accept the proposed schedule change. Are cancellation fees waived in this case?
yes
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:41 am

Newb questions about award booking, contingency plans

First time posting and also first attempt to use points to book travel and although I've tried to do my homework I feel like I have more questions than answers.

I was very excited to book one-way travel for two (mixed cabin, only one seat available in each) from ORD to NRT on an ANA flight later this year. I booked the flight through the AC website but it is on ANA metal, and there is only one segment. I'll be looking to book return flights over the next couple of weeks (travel dates are very flexible, so I am hopeful that I'll find something).

I realize now, though, after finding these forums, that if there is a cancellation or equipment change close to or on the date of travel that I may be in a world of hurt since my reservation is not with ANA but is instead with Aeroplan. It sounds like it is advisable to have a fully refundable backup plan in case changes impact my original reservations, since all the hotels and other arrangements will already be paid for at that point. Any advice on that front? I am thinking same departure airport but a day later, and same thing for the return booking.

Also, if things happen to go smoothly and we are actually able to take the flight I've booked, would my check-in be with AC or ANA? I've tried googling this numerous times and found very little information. Thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Chemystery
Also, if things happen to go smoothly and we are actually able to take the flight I've booked, would my check-in be with AC or ANA? I've tried googling this numerous times and found very little information. Thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer.
With this being your first post, welcome to FT!

I can't answer the other questions, but check-in is always with the operating carrier.
Chemystery likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by vancouver25k
With this being your first post, welcome to FT!

I can't answer the other questions, but check-in is always with the operating carrier.
Many thanks vancouver25k so I take that to mean check in with ANA. I read that in one place but couldn't find confirmation, thanks so much.

Thank you to the admin/mod who moved my post, I didn't realize inquiring about backup plans (revenue flights) should fall under this thread. I don't have any redemption questions, just curious how more experienced travels plan for contingencies in this situation. Is there a better place for me to post that specific question? [edited to add: I probably shouldn't have put this under AC/AP, in hindsight, it's just that was who I booked the outbound with, so that was top of mind]

Last edited by Chemystery; Jan 9, 2023 at 10:07 am Reason: Clarification
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:11 am

First time posting and also first attempt to use points to book travel and although I've tried to do my homework I feel like I have more questions than answers.

I was very excited to book one-way travel for two (mixed cabin, only one seat available in each) from ORD to NRT on an ANA flight later this year. I booked the flight through the AC website but it is on ANA metal, and there is only one segment. I'll be looking to book return flights over the next couple of weeks (travel dates are very flexible, so I am hopeful that I'll find something).

I realize now, though, after finding these forums, that if there is a cancellation or equipment change close to or on the date of travel that I may be in a world of hurt since my reservation is not with ANA but is instead with Aeroplan. It sounds like it is advisable to have a fully refundable backup plan in case changes impact my original reservations, since all the hotels and other arrangements will already be paid for at that point. Any advice on that front? I am thinking same departure airport but a day later, and same thing for the return booking.

You could purchase insurance to reimburse you should your plans go awry (trip cancellation/interruption). Some credit cards also offer this type of insurance as an included benefit.

You can buy it at the same time as you purchase medical insurance--something I'd recommend doing in any case if you're not covered by other means eg. credit cards.

I personally book refundable hotel rooms, and everything else I can refundable, for my trips, just in case there is a change, on their end or on mine.

Expedia, for the most part, but also hotels.com and booking.com.

You pay a bit extra, but I'd rather be free to cancel than attempt to collect from insurance after the fact.

That's my approach; others will rely on their insurance.
Chemystery likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by kalderlake
You could purchase insurance to reimburse you should your plans go awry (trip cancellation/interruption). Some credit cards also offer this type of insurance as an included benefit.
You can buy it at the same time as you purchase medical insurance--something I'd recommend doing in any case if you're not covered by other means eg. credit cards.
I personally book refundable hotel rooms, and everything else I can refundable, for my trips, just in case there is a change, on their end or on mine.
Oh wow, I had planned on purchasing medical insurance but didn't even consider that there might be third-party insurance related to flights. Thank you very much for that suggestion. I used CSP to pay the Aeroplan fees, so perhaps that cards coverages might apply, but the biggest thing I want to do is ensure that the trip occurs. This trip is a gift and, while the flight experience might not be the same on revenue tickets I can actually afford (hello, economy!), I want to make sure we will be able to make the trip as best I can.

I will absolutely be doing my best to book refundable hotel stays whenever possible, absolutely! I tend to avoid thing-party bookings as a general rule, which is why the whole Aeroplan/ANA thing is freaking me out. I hadn't thought of the process that way until I had booked the outbound seats, and it was quite a revelation. I was thinking about booking SkyPeso flights on Delta and similar, where the carrier is responsible for rebooking if there is an interruption. It never occurred to me that an AC Aeroplan ticket on ANA metal would work differently, but it clearly does.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 11:22 am

Programs: AP AS BA

Your case is not really a "mixed cabin" since there's only one leg. I take mixed cabin to mean YYZ-ORD in Y and then ORD-NRT in J (for example).

How far out is your travel date? NH is not known for last minute changes besides weather and IRROP so you should be good once you're T-3 months. So don't book anything non-refundable (if at all) until then. If there are IRROP, you will still get to NRT, just maybe a bit late, not on NH, and/or have additional stops.
kalderlake and Chemystery like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
There’s I space on LH YYZ-FRA-VIE. And LH YYZ-MUC-VIE.

Not YYZ-FRA, MUC, or either of those to ZAG or ZRH. It’s only showing X space for those.

Why?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by fbrdky
Your case is not really a "mixed cabin" since there's only one leg. I take mixed cabin to mean YYZ-ORD in Y and then ORD-NRT in J (for example).
How far out is your travel date? NH is not known for last minute changes besides weather and IRROP so you should be good once you're T-3 months. So don't book anything non-refundable (if at all) until then. If there are IRROP, you will still get to NRT, just maybe a bit late, not on NH, and/or have additional stops.
I was using mixed cabin in the sense of one F and one J on the same flight, perhaps there is a better term for that? I just don't know what it is or how to convey that more succinctly.

Date of travel is late Dec so it seems we should know by late September if we are good to go, from what I can tell about NH schedule updates. My biggest concern is an equipment change that eliminates F from the route entirely, as that would likely leave me with one booking in jeopardy. Since I am traveling with a young adult, flying different flights is not an option we would be comfortable with.

Please forgive my ignorance when it comes to terminology, this is entirely new to me and I'm trying to pick up as much information and understanding as possible, but I'm clearly still learning.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by yyztozag
There’s I space on LH YYZ-FRA-VIE. And LH YYZ-MUC-VIE.

Not YYZ-FRA, MUC, or either of those to ZAG or ZRH. It’s only showing X space for those.

Why?
Married segment logic. LH is quite fond of it.
ChrisA330 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:49 pm

Playing around with optimizing my points--Prince of Travel pointed out the Hawaii sweet spot. From YHZ it's especially sweet! I know I can't put in an official stopover on YHZ-OGG or YHZ-HNL because it's all considered North America. However, I believe I can have a schedule layover (is that different from a stopover?) of up to 24 hrs?? Is that correct? I noticed SFO came up in the routing suggested by cowtool, but the only itinerary with SFO has a 2 hr connection (while it will happily give me an overnight or more in YYZ). SFO would be fun for a day if we could get it, and would nicely break up the flying. Is this a matter of playing with dates til something comes up? Or is there something else I should be trying to change? I was looking at September after Labour Day, which I thought is far enough out/not high season to get some good options.

Thanks for your help folks.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 4:00 pm

I was using mixed cabin in the sense of one F and one J on the same flight, perhaps there is a better term for that? I just don't know what it is or how to convey that more succinctly.

Date of travel is late Dec so it seems we should know by late September if we are good to go, from what I can tell about NH schedule updates. My biggest concern is an equipment change that eliminates F from the route entirely, as that would likely leave me with one booking in jeopardy. Since I am traveling with a young adult, flying different flights is not an option we would be comfortable with.

Please forgive my ignorance when it comes to terminology, this is entirely new to me and I'm trying to pick up as much information and understanding as possible, but I'm clearly still learning.
Are both tickets on the same PNR? If so, then you and your young adult will not get separated. (Are they young enough to be considered an unaccompanied minor?) If there's an equip change, you'll probably get bumped down to J (so two seats in J). Not ideal but you'll still arrive in NRT in comfort.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by coastgirl
Playing around with optimizing my points--Prince of Travel pointed out the Hawaii sweet spot. From YHZ it's especially sweet! I know I can't put in an official stopover on YHZ-OGG or YHZ-HNL because it's all considered North America. However, I believe I can have a schedule layover (is that different from a stopover?) of up to 24 hrs?? Is that correct? I noticed SFO came up in the routing suggested by cowtool, but the only itinerary with SFO has a 2 hr connection (while it will happily give me an overnight or more in YYZ). SFO would be fun for a day if we could get it, and would nicely break up the flying. Is this a matter of playing with dates til something comes up? Or is there something else I should be trying to change? I was looking at September after Labour Day, which I thought is far enough out/not high season to get some good options.

Thanks for your help folks.
Your understanding is correct. A layover (< 24 hours) is allowed in North America but a stopover (>24 hours) is not allowed. If you want to have an extended layover in SFO, you might need to search YHZ-SFO and SFO-HNL separately to find availability, then call into Aeroplan to feed them the flights that you found (that's still legal within the <24 hour layover). I haven't done it myself so I can't say for sure if that will work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.