FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC link:
UPDATED HERE January 2, 2022

Boarding Process

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...g-by-zone.html

Pre-boarding: Customers who have requested wheelchair assistance
Zone 1: J and SE customers
Zone 2: 75K, 50K, 35K, 25K, Star Alliance Gold, Premium Economy, Latitude and Primary or Secondary Cardholder on Aeroplan black credit cards
Zone 2.5:
- Passengers travelling with children under the age of 6 or who require additional time to board the aircraft
- Passengers travelling with a musical instrument as part of their carry-on baggage
Zone 3: Comfort fares, passengers who purchased preferred seats in advance
Zones 3, 4 and 5: General boarding (back to front). AC Express flights will not have Zone 5.
Zone 6: Economy Basic

Companions travelling on the same PNR as an Aeroplan Elite/*Gold member will receive the same priority boarding zone.

Original thread covering 2014-2019 can be found here
Print Wikipost

Zoned Boarding (2020 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2024, 9:53 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Better watch out for me. My family with stroller tends to board with Zone 1 on the regular.
You don't wait in the YYJ MLL until final call?
Old Aug 6, 2024, 7:50 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Just boarded AC109 YYZ-YVR. Gate 45. They started boarding zone 1 from the front of the plane and simultaneously boarded Zone 2 from the middle door of the plane. So zone 1 in PE or Y (moi) boarded after zone 2. I don't know why they would not board zone 1 thru both doors first.
Another pet peeve is FAs who fill up the bins near the bulkhead or exit row. That means exit row will have to stow their bags further behind and it's a hassle getting the bags when disembarking. And off course exit row cannot stow backpacks with them for takeoff and landing
Old Aug 6, 2024, 8:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I share your bin point — especially on narrow-bodied aircraft.
Symmetre likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2024, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vernonc
Just boarded AC109 YYZ-YVR. Gate 45. They started boarding zone 1 from the front of the plane and simultaneously boarded Zone 2 from the middle door of the plane. So zone 1 in PE or Y (moi) boarded after zone 2. I don't know why they would not board zone 1 thru both doors first.
Another pet peeve is FAs who fill up the bins near the bulkhead or exit row. That means exit row will have to stow their bags further behind and it's a hassle getting the bags when disembarking. And off course exit row cannot stow backpacks with them for takeoff and landing
In situations like that, I think it makes sense to board J through door 1, and then the normal procedure through door 2.

If you're going to split the boarding like that, it makes no sense to send zone 1 in not-J through the J cabin.
billdokes and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2024, 11:23 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Was on AC 221 from YYC to YVR on Sunday - 789 that they boarded from B37...total gong show as that gate is nowhere near designed to board that size of aircraft. They seemed to be adhering to the proper Zoned boarding, or were trying to, but it was nearly impossible to get through the little door from the concourse into the boarding area to get to the Zone 1 line as the inner section which is tiny was jammed and people were all spilled out into the concourse. Managed to fight my way through but it took a while and lots of jostling through the sea of backpacks.
Old Aug 6, 2024, 11:51 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by billdokes
Was on AC 221 from YYC to YVR on Sunday - 789 that they boarded from B37...total gong show as that gate is nowhere near designed to board that size of aircraft. They seemed to be adhering to the proper Zoned boarding, or were trying to, but it was nearly impossible to get through the little door from the concourse into the boarding area to get to the Zone 1 line as the inner section which is tiny was jammed and people were all spilled out into the concourse. Managed to fight my way through but it took a while and lots of jostling through the sea of backpacks.
Just given the airport configuration around some of the YYC gates, I find it hard to board as a Zone 1 even when the proper procedure is being followed. Like you, I often end up having to push my way through.
billdokes likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2024, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Just given the airport configuration around some of the YYC gates, I find it hard to board as a Zone 1 even when the proper procedure is being followed. Like you, I often end up having to push my way through.
It was one of the rare occasions that I cared as I was in Y on the bulkhead so needed to have bin space for my carry-on, so extra annoying as I saw all those people inside the little chamber boarding as I was trying to fight my way in...really bad design...maybe the damage from the storm yesterday will give them an opportunity to re-configure?
Old Aug 6, 2024, 5:15 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
In situations like that, I think it makes sense to board J through door 1, and then the normal procedure through door 2.

If you're going to split the boarding like that, it makes no sense to send zone 1 in not-J through the J cabin.
Yes, I agree. Most of Zone 2 had boarded by the time Zone 1 in PE/Y made their way thru the J cabin.
Old Aug 7, 2024, 8:55 pm

Programs: None. Like Zero. :(
Data point: YOW to YYZ and YYZ to YYC on August 1st was fine if you were in a priority line. Observed Zone 1 boarding before Zone 2.
Old Aug 8, 2024, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Was puzzled last weekend by the following:

PNR1: me (SE) and Jr1 booked in J YOW-YYZ-EDI, with the first leg downgraded to Y a couple of weeks out because of a Jetz plane swapping in

PNR2: SO (50k) and Jr2 booked in J YOW to EDI, same as above re first leg in Y

I never linked the PNRs, but when I called in to link them I was told they were already linked (I booked them both using my SE account, originally on different days and then moved PNR1 to the same day as PNR2 using the auto tool after a schedule change).

The printed boarding passes for the YOW-YYZ segmented showed all of us as Zone 1 except for 50k mom, who was zone 2. She was zone 2 and the minor child travelling with her was zone 1.

Anyone able to figure out why this could have happened? It made no difference on the day, I am just curious as it seems odd.

Old Aug 9, 2024, 2:05 pm

Programs: None. Like Zero. :(
Data point: YYC-YOW, yesterday. No status or anything like that and I am on lowest reward fare. I decided to gate check a bag in to see if I can get zone 2 boarding. Answer was: After Zone 2 boarding. Well, somehow I got Zone 3 on my ticket so that didn't help.

Do note as well-- It was a gate with the dreaded Zone 1-2 signage on it.. so there was a lot of mixture of Zone 1/2 ppl lining up together.
bambinomartino likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2024, 10:42 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I do like that the GAs have been explicitly calling on PREs to board first, with an announcement to look at your boarding pass for exactly those letters. Multiple times.

I'm not 100% sure that it has relieving gate congestion (my recent Summer flights have had battalions of strollers clustered near the gate), but I like the intent.
Old Aug 12, 2024, 12:28 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold

This was the state of things 10 minutes after official boarding time at HND today.

The plane and cabin crew were ready to go, the gate agents were just thoroughly disorganized and slow. Not uncommon at Haneda, sadly.

And don't get me started on how at least 30 people bound for economy class boarded via the dedicated Signature gangway.
Old Aug 12, 2024, 3:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Accor Silver, AC 75K
That's unfortunate, I was at HND 5 weeks ago and it was very smooth and organized. I had also sat in the lounge till Y was boarding, they picked me out and sent me straight to the front of the line.
warrens likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.