Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

2023 schedule updates - new/cancelled routes, frequency/equipment changes, etc

2023 schedule updates - new/cancelled routes, frequency/equipment changes, etc

Old Aug 30, 2023 | 9:43 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Originally Posted by YVR72
Gimme a break Calgary... you don't speak for Western Canada. As a Vancouverite, I am tired of being associated with the term "Western Canada" and what it has come to mean in almost any context.

For Vancouver, Air Canada is the best product available out of Vancouver for almost any destination - including the hamlets of Calgary and Edmonton.

Does it make sense for Calgarians to fly to Vancouver to get to Saskatoon/Regina? Didnt think so. Calgarians have better things to do than travel to your fine city to get to SK.
Merlin666 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023 | 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by foothills county flier
Wasnt that $500M a loan guaranty, so the money has to be paid back. I wouldnt call that a investment.
They own just over 6% of Air Toron. sorry, Air Canada.
Old Aug 30, 2023 | 9:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
From the hindsight, the ship probably has already sailed earlier this year when AC cuts all YYC services to SK and MB, among others.
Old Aug 30, 2023 | 9:57 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by AC7E7
If I recall, the Canadian government invested $500M in taxpayer money in Air Canada during the pandemic.
That's a little different than the 'deal' between GOA and Westjet...

https://www.alberta.ca/external/news...artnership.pdf

Ron.
Old Aug 30, 2023 | 9:58 pm

Programs: Westjet, Air Canada 3MM, Best Western, Marriott
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
From the hindsight, the ship probably has already sailed earlier this year when AC cuts all YYC services to SK and MB, among others.
AC still and has always serviced tMB(YWG) from YYC. They have just cut flights/seats over that last 2 years and made flight times very hard to work with.
Old Aug 30, 2023 | 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by newfbc
That's a little different than the 'deal' between GOA and Westjet...

https://www.alberta.ca/external/news...artnership.pdf

Ron.
The GOA is providing grants not just to Westjet to expand in Alberta (create jobs), but is investing to continue producing more skilled labour in the aviation sector. The Quebec and Fed governments provided similar and ultimately larger grants to AC, Bombardier, and the sector throughout the years.

The Canadian government invested half a billion + loan guarantees into Air Canada so they didnt go belly up. In return, they are cutting service to Western Canada.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023 | 10:41 pm
50 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: AC, KL
Originally Posted by YYCfly
For LHR, I think its just a matter of time until AC throws in the towel and hands it over to Westjet. They'll use the slot for YYT, YOW, or more YVR/YYZ/YUL.
I believe three of AC's LHR slots are only timed well for Western Canada flights.
Old Aug 30, 2023 | 10:45 pm
50 Countries Visited30 Nights1M15 Years on Site

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston/Red Stick, La./airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Surprised to see the scale of these cuts. Knew FRA was on the chopping block, but didn't expect routes like YHZ and YOW to go.

Agree with YXUFlyboy that we'll probably see more cuts - I think most, if not all, AC Express flying out of YYC will go.
- YQU is served with one daily flight, nothing else on AC, wouldn't take much to simply axe that.
- YMM has 2 flights to YYC, plus YYZ and seasonal YUL. Maybe AC will axe YYC and sub in a daily YVR-YMM CRA flight - like they did with YZF and focus on the YVR hub.
- YXT and YLW are served at most, a couple times a day from YYC. These pax could easily be routed via YVR.
- YEG is served 4x a day. I guess they could keep this to route pax to LHR and onto UA, but that's about it. Even then though, KLM seems to be quite popular for Europe/Africa/ME/India ex.YEG, and UA does fly 2x daily from YEG to DEN, so connecting on AC via YYC is far from the only option for ex.YEG pax.

United seems to do OK in YYC, so I can absolutely see UA taking over EWR - just like how it took over for AC on YYC to ORD, IAH, and SFO. Just need to hope the economics work for UA, as they don't have the A220s that AC often uses on the route in the winter.

For LHR, I think its just a matter of time until AC throws in the towel and hands it over to Westjet. They'll use the slot for YYT, YOW, or more YVR/YYZ/YUL.

I think AC will absolutely cut YYC staff over the next few months. If you're cutting capacity and the number of connecting passengers, and shedding FFs, only makes sense. It's not a hub anymore.

Even with AC's slow retreat from YYC over the last few years, AC seems to retain a loyal following in YYC - I imagine for some, this will be the final straw. You can be loyal to a point, but AC can't expect FFS to willingly add extra layovers onto every trip just to fly AC instead of Westjet. Now, AC is handing YYC over to Westjet on a silver platter, so I hope Westjet takes advantage - specifically, opens more elevation lounges, invests in better PY catering and BOB offerings, expands partnerships, and creates a better FF program.

On the topic of YYC cuts, rumour has it that Westjet's YYC-NRT flight isn't performing well, so wouldn't be surprised to see that cut soon too.

On the bright side, KLM seems to be holding on in YYC and YEG. People also seem really happy with Porter to YYZ, so wouldn't be shocked to see them announce YOW any day now, and YHZ in the future.
I thought YYC-IAH was one of the few carve outs in the UA-AC deal and the airlines could not coordinate in any form though maybe I misunderstood the prior rules or something changed during COVID. I fly IAH YYC on UA to help keep GS status but liked the competition trying to keep costs down a bit. (And I wish UA would restart YEG-IAH since I presume AC will not).
Old Aug 31, 2023 | 5:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25k
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I actually don’t think AC is done at YYC. YQU, YLW and YMM can be covered by WS (and AC would rather route to YYZ in summer anyway). LHR can route via YVR with bigger aircraft. EWR can go to UA. YEG can go to WS too…. Leaving only YYZ/YUL/YVR.

Pilot shortage seems far fetched when they’re adding widebodies on secondary trans border markets to YYZ and YUL. Yes, there is a shortage. But if those decisions are being made there’s always more expansion they can do out of the hubs. It won’t make sense to add more flights back to YYC.

YYC is now a fortress hub for WS, for good or for ill.
The pilot shortage is at Jazz, not at AC mainline. This is forcing AC to use mainline assets to cover what were traditionally regional routes.
The FRA route is a bit of an outlier. It boils down to aircraft availability. YVR-DXB commences in October which could be part of the reason. There is still 1 777 out of service from the ramp incident in YUL and its possible that there are more heavy checks due this winter on the widebodies so something needed to give in the schedule.
C-FMWQ likes this.

Last edited by Nightflyer787; Aug 31, 2023 at 5:48 am
Old Aug 31, 2023 | 6:35 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I believe there are circumstances where flight crews (and I have no idea if it's the same for FAs and pilots) can be forcibly relocated. Though it's still a big enough base that they might be better off deadheading people to YVR (or even YYZ). I think forcible rebasing is frowned upon.

Ground staff would be much harder to deal with. They didn't exactly sign up for "go where we say when we say".
At Jazz (AC only has FAs in YYC) the pilots can be temporarily based in different cities. AFAIK, FAs would have to have deadheads built into pairings. This has been happening since March, however it was determined the company didnt follow the contract with this and has stopped doing it.

Now, pilots from YVR and YYC are being deadheaded out to do eastern flying during pairings rather than being temporarily based on YYZ/YUL.
Old Aug 31, 2023 | 6:46 am
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

In addition to YYC, YOW is also losing flights to YWG as a result of these cuts. Other than the YYZ and YUL flights, plus 2 YVR flights, that leaves YOW with 4 flights to YTZ and 1 flight to each of YQB, YHZ, EWR, and DCA per day.

There are now no YOW-YWG flights offered by any airline this fall. How long will it be until Porter adds this route?
Old Aug 31, 2023 | 7:03 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
United seems to do OK in YYC, so I can absolutely see UA taking over EWR - just like how it took over for AC on YYC to ORD, IAH, and SFO. Just need to hope the economics work for UA, as they don't have the A220s that AC often uses on the route in the winter.
AC's got 7M8s and 320s on YYC-EWR from now through Q2 '24, but United's got a ton of 319s that could run this route if lower capacity is dictated.

I'd be surprised to see them cut YOW just to re-launch it in a couple of months. Not impossible, just surprising. As for LHR, there's not a *lot* else they can do with that lunchtime slot at LHR, besides maybe launch a late-night departure from YUL. Not to say they'd never just drop the slot altogether, just that they don't have a lot of options to reassign it.

Now, AC is handing YYC over to Westjet on a silver platter, so I hope Westjet takes advantage - specifically, opens more elevation lounges, invests in better PY catering and BOB offerings, expands partnerships, and creates a better FF program.
I mean, with Westjet making it pretty clear they want to focus west, and AC pulling back, there aren't a ton of incentives for WS to spend a ton of money capturing passengers who already have incentive to walk away from AC.

On the topic of YYC cuts, rumour has it that Westjet's YYC-NRT flight isn't performing well, so wouldn't be surprised to see that cut soon too.
From my armchair, it kind of feels like a route that can't make money flying to Japan in the last several months' demand conditions, maybe just ...can't make money flying to Japan.
Plumber likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2023 | 7:16 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: LH Sen, FB Gold
Don't see YOW-LHR coming back until the A321XLRs come online (which now appears to be a mid to late 2025 thing at the earliest). Is AC gonna hang onto YYC-LHR that far out or are you suggesting an earlier removal of this flight?

Last edited by msat; Aug 31, 2023 at 7:21 am
Old Aug 31, 2023 | 7:18 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by msat
Don't see YOW-LHR coming back until the A321XLRs come online (which now appears to be a mid to late 2025 thing at the earliest). Is AC gonna hang onto YYC-LHR that far out or are you suggesting an earlier removal of this flight?
The Heathrow slot currently used for YYC lands at lunchtime, which isn't terribly useful for an Eastern business route, but you're probably right about the XLRs.
msat likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2023 | 7:24 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: LH Sen, FB Gold
Originally Posted by YOWgary
The Heathrow slot currently used for YYC lands at lunchtime, which isn't terribly useful for an Eastern business route, but you're probably right about the XLRs.
Even when the XLRs arrive, how long till a) AC has enough of them in service to provide sustainable scheduled service; and b) AC feels comfortable enough using them on trans-atlantic (i.e. done with proving runs domestically)? In hindsight, me thinks 2025 is ambitious because Airbus could have more delays, which has a knock-on effect on the prior points.

Probably a better question for the Westjet forum, but seeing the earlier post about WJ having difficulty with their Japan flight makes me wonder if WJ could "bolster" their YVR ops at all (have a better chance of having a go at that compared to trying something similar at YYZ/YUL)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.