Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Exact amount of AP miles and Status miles per route.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2003, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Is there a standard amount of AP and status miles AC gives out per flihgt?

I can't seemt to find any such chart on APs site.

You all seem to know exactly what you get for every route, how do you know?
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:57 am

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture
it's mostly experience (such as, I know that AC gives me exactly 835 miles everytime i fly discount Y from YYC-YYZ) but a nifty guide to estimating the expected mileage is at http://gc.kls2.com/

Just enter your routing in there and it calculates the flown-miles between points. Just remember that some legs earn 50% miles and some short ones earn minimums (250 or 500 miles).
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:02 am

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
http://www.webflyer.com/travel/milemarker/

Go to webflyer.com and use the Mileage calculator to calculate the exact miles flown. Then, depending on your booking class you can add-up your mileage.

For domestic travel effective Oct 1 (thanks Empress ) :

Econo - B, H, V, Q, L (50% status miles)
Freedom Y (125% status miles)
Fun - R, I, G (50% status miles)
Latitude - M, U (100% status miles)
Tango - E, N, T (No status miles; 50% of mileage flown in AE miles)

On international flights you get 100% of mileage regardless of fare in Y.

------------------
Prestige
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:08 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Youponder:
I can't seemt to find any such chart on APs site.</font>
https://www.aeroplan.com/en/collect/air_air_canada.jsp

As posted earlier, the domestic chart will change on 1Oct.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
However, airline program mileage often varies by a few miles either side of those you'll get from these calculators. Even AC and CP couldn't always agree.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I didn't realize AP points are actually directly awarded according to actual miles flown.

Forgive me for this very basic question: Do you always earn the same amount of AP and status miles? I don't know much about status miles as I earn all my AP miles from credit cards.

BTW: Anyone think it's odd that AC calls it miles? Everything else here in Canada is kilometers.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Youponder:
BTW: Anyone think it's odd that AC calls it miles? Everything else here in Canada is kilometers. </font>
"Nautical" miles are used in aviation NOT km.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 2:13 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Forgive me for this very basic question: Do you always earn the same amount of AP and status miles? I don't know much about status miles as I earn all my AP miles from credit cards.</font>
If you fly on Tango, you will earn regular miles but 0 status miles. Starting on Oct 1, if you buy the 'Tango' fare category on mainline flights, you will earn regular Aeroplan miles but 0 status miles.

Other than that, the number of Aeroplan base miles you earn = number of status miles you earn for that particular flight.

Definition of base miles is miles you earned from flying (defined as the distance between the 2 city pairs) including Class of service premium but excluding any promotion bonuses.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 5:39 pm

You can also use the PDF version of the AC tiemtable. They have milage estimates for city-pairs as part of the schedule. Even thay will not match AP awards 100%.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 6:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Prestige:
"Nautical" miles are used in aviation NOT km. </font>
Nautical Miles are not used in aeroplan however and that's a good thing! According to the AC timetable YVR-YXS is 325miles. Actual nautical mile distance is 285. YVR-YXT is published as 431 miles and actual distance is 385nm.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 6:47 pm

Programs: AC.E, SPG.P, FPC.Plt, HH.G
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by I'llMissCP:
You can also use the PDF version of the AC tiemtable. They have milage estimates for city-pairs as part of the schedule. Even thay will not match AP awards 100%.</font>
This is probably the best estimate you'll get.
http://www.actimetable.com/AC.pdf
Old Sep 25, 2003, 7:19 pm

I'll usually just search for the flight segements I'm looking for on Destina. Their information screen gives the mileage per segement if you select the details for a particular flight (or group of flights)... So far it has matched one to one what I've received on my aeroplan statement. I wish that AC would implement this on their site...

B
Old Nov 17, 2003, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Thought I'd bump this thread back up after my weekend trip YYZ-DFW.

When booking I looked at the AC online timetable to check mileage which is shown as 1199 each way.

A check of my AE acount online this morning shows a credit of 1194.

After finding this thread I went and used the tool at www.webflyer.com as suggested above by Prestige. That site shows YYZ-DFW at 1200 miles.

I'm confused.

I don't have a problem getting cut short for a total of 10 miles on this trip, but what happens if someone comes real close to a threshold (i.e making SE/E for the year or some other benefit) and doesn't go over because of a variation in the timetable miles vs. AE miles given ?

Who has the last word ? What rule would be used to arbitrate in such a situation ?

I am curious because I found out today that I will have another trip to CDG in mid-December which should put me within 14,000 points of making SE in 2003. I'd be really disappointed if I invested time and $$$ in planning a MR (which I may do) between X-mas and Dec 31 and didn't make SE because of a miscalculation based on bad information.

[This message has been edited by NordsFan (edited Nov 17, 2003).]
Old Nov 17, 2003, 5:00 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

The last word would be Aeroplan. So if you need every single mile, I would suggest you call up Aeroplan (or ask here) about the city pairs you're interested in.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 5:10 pm

flyingfish-beta-085-setup.exe

Download the above. It is a great tool for finding mileage and also for planning a mileage run as it gives cost per mile.

Biggles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.