Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYC Fall Do - 8th Annual Burgers & Scotch Evening - November 4, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2023, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CdnFlier
Calgary Fall AC FT Do - 8th Annual Burgers & Scotch Evening

Date: Saturday, November 4, 2023
Boarding Time: 18:00 (likely will last until about 23:00; come and go as you please, stop in for an appetizer on your way to another dinner, come for a drink after a family wedding, whatever)
We will be in the private room of the restaurant, so guests can fully relax, and experience our discreet service with new-found peace of mind
Reservation is under Adam Smith (private room is to the right as you come in the main door)
See this post for a few additional notes.

Current Availability
J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 R0 I0
This is a Jetz charter – no Y seats in sight!

Confirmed pax (HK status)
  • Adam Smith +1
  • canadiancow - AC 226 YVR-YYC on the Friday
  • AmericanBovine
  • YYC3722 +1
  • recreationaltimetraveller
  • BlondeBomber
  • folkart
  • SearsTower
  • boomerfss
  • Aussieincanada
  • HerpaYvr
  • nomadic.relief
  • Yyc_yyc
  • smilee
  • yyznomad
  • D582
  • vancouver25k
  • douglasr
  • Zorak
  • krazykanuck
  • asovse1
  • RangerNS (arriving Friday evening; in town all Sunday)
  • Jumper Jack (November 3 AC159 YYZ-YYC, November 5 PD362 YYC-YYZ)
  • AwardBee
  • FlyWhere
  • DrunkCargo +1
  • King Chung Huang
  • YYCCL3
  • TVBurns
  • Nitehawk
  • sexykitten7

Signed up for EF alerts on Do availability, but not yet committed to the Do (HL status)
  • Flynn58

Only come to Dos with T-shirts / don't like burgers or Scotch / committed to eating burgers and drinking Scotch elsewhere that night (UC status)
  • Bohemian1 (thought his ticket to SCL was getting him to Smith Cocktail Lab)
  • taupo
  • TTC900Rocket
  • CanadianMike
  • FarSiren
  • Symmetre
  • RatherBeInYOW
  • canopus27
  • Altaflyer
  • wjw
  • painintheuk
  • gcashin
  • TheViperOne
  • tcook052
  • Melville
  • Politico_pk
  • expert7700 +2
  • billdokes

Important Event Notes - FAQ
  • It’s in November. That’s not really fall, is it?
    Yes, technically it’s still fall until December 21.
  • Oh, good, so it won’t snow then, right??
    Our commitment to the highest standards of customer service and safety extends far beyond the comfort of our venue. Unfortunately, it can snow any day of the year, and in some previous years when this Do was held in September, it was snowed. So prepare for the worst and hope for the best!
  • Will the YYC Fall Do offer the ability to savour a choice of refined dishes and a vast selection of wines and spirits?
    Yes. The restaurant has a very long whisky list and the best burgers in town. You can savour a sit-down meal from the à la carte menu crafted for the Do.
  • What if I like hockey puck beef?
    Then you're a weirdo, but I guess you can ask them to do it.

Important Event Notes (real ones this time!)
  • The burger and Scotch theme is purely optional. Those are the specialties of the restaurant, but you're free to have a salad and a Coke Zero, fish and white wine, or whatever floats your boat
  • We will have access to a few of the restaurant's recent Whisky Wednesday tasting menus which offer a flight of 3-4 whiskies at a reduced price. For past Do attendees, this is the same as previous years
Print Wikipost

YYC Fall Do - 8th Annual Burgers & Scotch Evening - November 4, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: Final year with AC*G
Attending a controversial early morning maiden voyage in Edmonton at 4AM, should drive in by early afternoon. If anyone needs an airport pickup and doesn't mind a 60/75-min spread (cuz you'll be at the MLL, right?) just let me know

I'm in Calgary several times a month and finally got to try both the Element and Four Points (Airport) this weekend. I know this commentary might be a bit late since you've all probably booked accommodations already, but let me just say...both these hotels are...very compatible with corporate rates...

Both hotels share a shuttle. The shuttle runs on this road that we've been begging the city to rehab for ages...and that road is not the Deerfoot Trail freeway but an internal road network around the airport. The shuttle is scheduled hourly from 4:00 a.m. (northbound) to 3:00 p.m. and other times you'll have to call the front desk with a 30-35 minute wait at Pillars 16/17 near Arrivals Door #4. Travel time on the dumb road choice is approximately 30 minutes, which is a bit asinine but whatever it's nice

I personally get around Calgary by transit, so if you're doing that, get downtown via LRT or BRT after one bus ride. Use the Calgary Transit MyFare app to buy fares if you're interested. Element is really nice, Four Points looks really dated and the fire exit signs don't point toward an exit by the way, if you care about that
nomadic.relief and Adam Smith like this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
What is on tap for Saturday or Sunday daylight activities?
Old Oct 30, 2023, 3:35 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I think you should have a snowman-making contest. Maybe a prize for the most realistic depiction of a specific aircraft type or your favourite AC lounge gatekeeper?
Old Oct 30, 2023, 3:55 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I am heading to the rockies for a day hike for Saturday if you are interested. For Sunday, will be visiting Eau Clarire that's near by.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM , Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Mrs. Boomerfss may come as well then. She was just going to stay at the hotel and read. We are there for the weekend.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Unsigned ourselves from EF DO availability alerts (not sure if EF alerts even work anymore, thanks alot AC).

Althogh it's been a long time (tens of hours) since our last 11 scotch tastings, my +2 are mumbling about wanting warm weather for the 3.5 day school weekend.
​​​​​​
Unless YYC has more wildfires and climate change by Friday, it's likely 3 gate J upgrades will clear on the YYZ-YYC dreamliner.
​​​​​​
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 4:38 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by expert7700
Unsigned ourselves from EF DO availability alerts (not sure if EF alerts even work anymore, thanks alot AC).

Althogh it's been a long time (tens of hours) since our last 11 scotch tastings, my +2 are mumbling about wanting warm weather for the 3.5 day school weekend.
​​​​​​
Unless YYC has more wildfires and climate change by Friday, it's likely 3 gate J upgrades will clear on the YYZ-YYC dreamliner.
​​​​​​
Old Oct 30, 2023, 6:56 pm

I think I'm on the verge of removing myself too. I was up for spending a couple hundred on a flight and hotel for a weekend but the more I look at flight times the more I'm realizing I would probably have to fly out Friday and return Monday and that would make this a $600 trip plus ~ $1k worth of miles which seems ... not in my price range for a dinner/do.

Hm. Not super familiar with domestic red-eyes. It's quite confusing that AC shows 1am flights as morning flights. I see now that there is an option of flying a direct YUL-YYC on a 220 Saturday morning and then returning Sunday night at 1am either direct or through YYZ.

I'm still doubtful if I want to blow 50k+ miles on this though...

Last edited by zkzkz; Oct 30, 2023 at 9:16 pm
Old Oct 30, 2023, 7:32 pm

Thanks for the reminder, Adam. I've moved myself to the HK list.

If anyone from out of town needs a ride downtown from the airport or airport area hotels, feel free to DM me.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 10:54 pm

Programs: AC-SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I fly in at noon, I have a car as I need to do some PST shopping, I always keep an Alberta shopping list to buy stuff with less tax than where I live
I am at the Courtyard only because it was the cheapest, it's nice, free airport shuttle and I do not spend a lot of time in the room. Stayed there last month on my last shopping trip, it was just OK, nothing to write home about. I like the Delta & Marriot at the airport but when I have a car I stay offsite.
Can take anyone to the airport area at the end of the night, may dump the car off that night also, sleep in, and fly home at noon
Lived in Calgary for many years, so I will skip the tourist stuff, but I will say Canmore & Banff are great places to visit though. If you want to stay indoors and check out a cool mall, Crossiron Mills is a really neat mall, just north of the city
For those out-of-towners who will drive, Alberta Loves their photo Radar, so vans and SUVs parked on the side of the roads, slow down.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 1:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I don't want to "like" your post because I was hoping you would be one of the new friends joining us, but thanks for updating
I’ll make it to one soon enough. Been working almost 9 on 1 off since April. Usually our transatlantic air traffic slows down by about 30% in the winter as most airlines switch to sun destinations. This usually equates to a better schedule and more time off but no end in sight as of yet to the bad schedule and traffic levels.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 5:41 pm
Moderator: Hyatt, American Express; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, AA EXP, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Mlife Noir (=> Marriott Amb), invol FT beta tester
I'm scheduled in lateish on Thursday, staying at the in-airport Marriott, then Dorian for two days, then at the airport again (though at the Delta) before a morning flight back to the States on Monday. I have a car reservation and was going to drive up to Banff for sightseeing on Sunday (I think krazykanuck was going to join me?)

Anyone interested in the Hitmen game on Friday night?
Old Oct 31, 2023, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

For those uncertain about bringing +1s, Mrs. Smith is confirmed to attend and, despite recently going from zero status with WS, BA, and AC to Gold, Silver, and 50K respectively (100% BIS, no status matches!), is a totally normal person who is happy to chat with +1s who find us FTers to be a bit much
Can confirm 100% (not the BIS part, but the "totally normal" person part ). This does not preclude the fact that she is better than a normal person ).
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
(I think krazykanuck was going to join me?)
That's the plan. I'm staying at the Doubletree Calgary North, which seems North in name only, as it's not far from downtown.

Is there a good brewery hopping area in Calgary for those inclined? Should be a fun get together, I'm looking forward to all of it, minus the cold.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Looks like the stars are aligning for me to attend this do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.