Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYC Fall Do - 8th Annual Burgers & Scotch Evening - November 4, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2023, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CdnFlier
Calgary Fall AC FT Do - 8th Annual Burgers & Scotch Evening

Date: Saturday, November 4, 2023
Boarding Time: 18:00 (likely will last until about 23:00; come and go as you please, stop in for an appetizer on your way to another dinner, come for a drink after a family wedding, whatever)
We will be in the private room of the restaurant, so guests can fully relax, and experience our discreet service with new-found peace of mind
Reservation is under Adam Smith (private room is to the right as you come in the main door)
See this post for a few additional notes.

Current Availability
J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 R0 I0
This is a Jetz charter – no Y seats in sight!

Confirmed pax (HK status)
  • Adam Smith +1
  • canadiancow - AC 226 YVR-YYC on the Friday
  • AmericanBovine
  • YYC3722 +1
  • recreationaltimetraveller
  • BlondeBomber
  • folkart
  • SearsTower
  • boomerfss
  • Aussieincanada
  • HerpaYvr
  • nomadic.relief
  • Yyc_yyc
  • smilee
  • yyznomad
  • D582
  • vancouver25k
  • douglasr
  • Zorak
  • krazykanuck
  • asovse1
  • RangerNS (arriving Friday evening; in town all Sunday)
  • Jumper Jack (November 3 AC159 YYZ-YYC, November 5 PD362 YYC-YYZ)
  • AwardBee
  • FlyWhere
  • DrunkCargo +1
  • King Chung Huang
  • YYCCL3
  • TVBurns
  • Nitehawk
  • sexykitten7

Signed up for EF alerts on Do availability, but not yet committed to the Do (HL status)
  • Flynn58

Only come to Dos with T-shirts / don't like burgers or Scotch / committed to eating burgers and drinking Scotch elsewhere that night (UC status)
  • Bohemian1 (thought his ticket to SCL was getting him to Smith Cocktail Lab)
  • taupo
  • TTC900Rocket
  • CanadianMike
  • FarSiren
  • Symmetre
  • RatherBeInYOW
  • canopus27
  • Altaflyer
  • wjw
  • painintheuk
  • gcashin
  • TheViperOne
  • tcook052
  • Melville
  • Politico_pk
  • expert7700 +2
  • billdokes

Important Event Notes - FAQ
  • It’s in November. That’s not really fall, is it?
    Yes, technically it’s still fall until December 21.
  • Oh, good, so it won’t snow then, right??
    Our commitment to the highest standards of customer service and safety extends far beyond the comfort of our venue. Unfortunately, it can snow any day of the year, and in some previous years when this Do was held in September, it was snowed. So prepare for the worst and hope for the best!
  • Will the YYC Fall Do offer the ability to savour a choice of refined dishes and a vast selection of wines and spirits?
    Yes. The restaurant has a very long whisky list and the best burgers in town. You can savour a sit-down meal from the à la carte menu crafted for the Do.
  • What if I like hockey puck beef?
    Then you're a weirdo, but I guess you can ask them to do it.

Important Event Notes (real ones this time!)
  • The burger and Scotch theme is purely optional. Those are the specialties of the restaurant, but you're free to have a salad and a Coke Zero, fish and white wine, or whatever floats your boat
  • We will have access to a few of the restaurant's recent Whisky Wednesday tasting menus which offer a flight of 3-4 whiskies at a reduced price. For past Do attendees, this is the same as previous years
Print Wikipost

YYC Fall Do - 8th Annual Burgers & Scotch Evening - November 4, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2023, 3:47 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by expert7700
sounds like APPR compensation to me!
Well it is JUST under the 3 hour threshold. 2 Hour 40 minute delay lol
Any chance I can get AC to comp me lounge access atleast?
Old Nov 3, 2023, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I'm sitting here in the YYZ international MLL, heading out on a long planned TATL MR .... but despite the fact that I'll be sitting in 1A, I'm still reading this Do thread with envy.

Have fun, y'all.

​​​​
Old Nov 3, 2023, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Check your email
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
seriously? domestic MLL access

​​​​​​check your email!
​​​​​
​​​​​
EDIT: [MENTION=787888]vancouver25k[/MENTION] beat me to it! regift one of them, Jack.. Make a new friend or impress a future spouse.

Also for delays over 2hrs AC should print you an airport meal voucher, good at any airport AC operates in valid for a year.
Bohemian1 and Jumper Jack like this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 4:20 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Update on logistics/timing type stuff for tomorrow evening: just confirmed everything with the restaurant for tomorrow night. I'm thrilled with the high level of turnout, but given the popularity of this year's event, it may be getting a bit cramped in the space we have set aside! Usually we get everything set up with some room for people to mix and mingle around the tables, but we might all just have to kind of cram in to our seats. And I hope there aren't a bunch more people planning to announce their attendance last minute

We'll be doing separate bills and just ordering off the standard menu, so no need to worry about payment details or dietary restrictions - you can pay your own bill and communicate any issues to the staff when you order. One thing to keep in mind is that it's a lot of work for the staff to do separate bills for 30+ people (most restaurants in YYC don't like to or won't do it), and can be very difficult if people move around a lot during the evening, so please try to be mindful of that.

The restaurant opens at 5PM. If anyone wants to get there early - to maximize hanging out time with crazy FTers, or to watch some of the CFL playoff game that will be going on, or whatever, that's fine, the space will be available. And we have the space until closing at ~11PM (they'll usually let us stay a bit later than that, but generally not much longer).

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Old Nov 3, 2023, 4:35 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by vancouver25k
Check your email
Originally Posted by expert7700
seriously? domestic MLL access

​​​​​​check your email!
​​​​​
​​​​​
EDIT: [MENTION=787888]vancouver25k[/MENTION] beat me to it! regift one of them, Jack.. Make a new friend or impress a future spouse.

Also for delays over 2hrs AC should print you an airport meal voucher, good at any airport AC operates in valid for a year.
Thank you both, super grateful!
Old Nov 3, 2023, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Probably the last person to book but I'm staying at the Westley Calgary Downtown (and earning 3100 LP natch!). Should arrive at noon Sat. Flying out 8AM Sun
Old Nov 3, 2023, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Probably the last person to book but I'm staying at the Westley Calgary Downtown (and earning 3100 LP natch!). Should arrive at noon Sat. Flying out 8AM Sun
8AM sunday?
Omg
Old Nov 3, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Eh? What bill? I can't believe I've already lost the thread and I'm not even there yet.
Split the bill 50/50 for the porterhouse. And however much you can eat.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 8:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Well, I'm at the Downtown Marriott now. But was up at 3:30, lobstertime. Could go for food or a drink or 2. But no more than 3. or 4.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Well, I'm at the Downtown Marriott now. But was up at 3:30, lobstertime. Could go for food or a drink or 2. But no more than 3. or 4.
I'm grabbing my free drink and snack from the Hyatt Regency bar but could be up for grabbing a few drinks somewhere nearby.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:07 pm

Decided to check out the Bear & Kilt freehouse if anyone's looking for a spot to grab drinks with company.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
In response to a PM, but for everyone's benefit - this is a very casual event and not structured from a timing perspective. I expect we'll order dinner somewhere between 6:30 and 7:30 after some drinks and hanging out. This isn't a rubber chicken banquet kitchen kind of thing, so food will come out as it's ready. If you have other things going on, please feel free to come and go as you please. If you have hockey tickets and want to show up at the start, eat quickly and leave early, that's fine. If you have dinner plans but want to pop by for a drink afterwards, by all means!
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
We'll be doing separate bills and just ordering off the standard menu, so no need to worry about payment details
Wonderful. It's a breath of fresh air in Canada that remains light years ahead of the US in this consumer friendly-ness.

Zorak was kind enough to fetch me from the airport this evening and we hit a couple of breweries on the way back to downtown that weren't closed (why does it seem like lots of the breweries close by 9pm on a Friday?)

If anybody has exciting plans for tomorrow afternoon, I'm all ears, otherwise have nothing really on the docket until dinner.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Wonderful. It's a breath of fresh air in Canada that remains light years ahead of the US in this consumer friendly-ness.

Zorak was kind enough to fetch me from the airport this evening and we hit a couple of breweries on the way back to downtown that weren't closed (why does it seem like lots of the breweries close by 9pm on a Friday?)

If anybody has exciting plans for tomorrow afternoon, I'm all ears, otherwise have nothing really on the docket until dinner.
Would you like to go to Banff tomorrow? I am planning to leave at around 9:30 and be back to downtown by 6

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.