Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYC Fall Do - 8th Annual Burgers & Scotch Evening - November 4, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2023, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CdnFlier
Calgary Fall AC FT Do - 8th Annual Burgers & Scotch Evening

Date: Saturday, November 4, 2023
Boarding Time: 18:00 (likely will last until about 23:00; come and go as you please, stop in for an appetizer on your way to another dinner, come for a drink after a family wedding, whatever)
We will be in the private room of the restaurant, so guests can fully relax, and experience our discreet service with new-found peace of mind
Reservation is under Adam Smith (private room is to the right as you come in the main door)
See this post for a few additional notes.

Current Availability
J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 R0 I0
This is a Jetz charter – no Y seats in sight!

Confirmed pax (HK status)
  • Adam Smith +1
  • canadiancow - AC 226 YVR-YYC on the Friday
  • AmericanBovine
  • YYC3722 +1
  • recreationaltimetraveller
  • BlondeBomber
  • folkart
  • SearsTower
  • boomerfss
  • Aussieincanada
  • HerpaYvr
  • nomadic.relief
  • Yyc_yyc
  • smilee
  • yyznomad
  • D582
  • vancouver25k
  • douglasr
  • Zorak
  • krazykanuck
  • asovse1
  • RangerNS (arriving Friday evening; in town all Sunday)
  • Jumper Jack (November 3 AC159 YYZ-YYC, November 5 PD362 YYC-YYZ)
  • AwardBee
  • FlyWhere
  • DrunkCargo +1
  • King Chung Huang
  • YYCCL3
  • TVBurns
  • Nitehawk
  • sexykitten7

Signed up for EF alerts on Do availability, but not yet committed to the Do (HL status)
  • Flynn58

Only come to Dos with T-shirts / don't like burgers or Scotch / committed to eating burgers and drinking Scotch elsewhere that night (UC status)
  • Bohemian1 (thought his ticket to SCL was getting him to Smith Cocktail Lab)
  • taupo
  • TTC900Rocket
  • CanadianMike
  • FarSiren
  • Symmetre
  • RatherBeInYOW
  • canopus27
  • Altaflyer
  • wjw
  • painintheuk
  • gcashin
  • TheViperOne
  • tcook052
  • Melville
  • Politico_pk
  • expert7700 +2
  • billdokes

Important Event Notes - FAQ
  • It’s in November. That’s not really fall, is it?
    Yes, technically it’s still fall until December 21.
  • Oh, good, so it won’t snow then, right??
    Our commitment to the highest standards of customer service and safety extends far beyond the comfort of our venue. Unfortunately, it can snow any day of the year, and in some previous years when this Do was held in September, it was snowed. So prepare for the worst and hope for the best!
  • Will the YYC Fall Do offer the ability to savour a choice of refined dishes and a vast selection of wines and spirits?
    Yes. The restaurant has a very long whisky list and the best burgers in town. You can savour a sit-down meal from the à la carte menu crafted for the Do.
  • What if I like hockey puck beef?
    Then you're a weirdo, but I guess you can ask them to do it.

Important Event Notes (real ones this time!)
  • The burger and Scotch theme is purely optional. Those are the specialties of the restaurant, but you're free to have a salad and a Coke Zero, fish and white wine, or whatever floats your boat
  • We will have access to a few of the restaurant's recent Whisky Wednesday tasting menus which offer a flight of 3-4 whiskies at a reduced price. For past Do attendees, this is the same as previous years
Print Wikipost

YYC Fall Do - 8th Annual Burgers & Scotch Evening - November 4, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2023, 9:40 am

Programs: Final year with AC*G
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Any Do attendees in need of masks and other supplies from CleanCare kits? I was organizing some stuff around the house the other day and found a box of kits, including a bunch of those ones made in Belgium in the brown bags that people seemed to really like.
I'd actually really like the masks and will take them off your hands. I'll take the plastic waste from the rest of the kit too (so the entire kit lol) to make use of the other parts inside. If on the off chance someone else takes part of the kit, give me the rest! I have my car, too

Good segue for me now to mention that I wouldn't mind some light chauffeuring of people like before or after the YEG DO in 2021. I'll post my day/time of arrival and what corridors/parts of the city I'll be in as my details firm up. I'll be inspecting some roads and bike lanes so nowhere's off-limits, lol
Old Oct 19, 2023, 9:42 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by D582
I like the smell of the BactiControl hand sanitiser...
... in the morning?

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Are there stories to be told here haha
What happens in the air, stays in the air.
D582 and canopus27 like this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Oct 19, 2023 at 9:47 am
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:00 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by D582
I like the smell of the BactiControl hand sanitiser...
I'm not sure there's any of that in these kits...

Originally Posted by asovse1
I'd actually really like the masks and will take them off your hands. I'll take the plastic waste from the rest of the kit too (so the entire kit lol) to make use of the other parts inside. If on the off chance someone else takes part of the kit, give me the rest! I have my car, too
... but since there's some interest, maybe I'll just bring them and people can take them if they want.
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Are there stories to be told here haha
What happens in the air, stays in the air.
There are certainly hints in the Do thread that not everything may have gone smoothly. But I'm sure one or more attendees will happily regale you with the details in YYC...
Old Oct 19, 2023, 3:18 pm

Please add me to the HK list

Thanks!
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 3:46 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FlyWhere
Thanks!
Added you to the wiki

[MENTION=718098]AwardBee[/MENTION] I've also added you.

But [MENTION=804857]Jumper Jack[/MENTION] I'm revoking your attendance for flying PD back from an AC Do
painintheuk likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 4:32 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Added you to the wiki

[MENTION=718098]AwardBee[/MENTION] I've also added you.

But [MENTION=804857]Jumper Jack[/MENTION] I'm revoking your attendance for flying PD back from an AC Do
I would have chosen AC if they had an earlier flight. With PD i get back to Toronto 1.5 hrs earlier. Have work the next day so hands are tied.

It's either 2pm or 6pm, with nothing in between. While PD had a 5PM option that feel more manageable.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I would have chosen AC if they had an earlier flight. With PD i get back to Toronto 1.5 hrs earlier. Have work the next day so hands are tied.

It's either 2pm or 6pm, with nothing in between. While PD had a 5PM option that feel more manageable.
Not gonna earn AC status that way
yyznomad likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Using points YYZ-YYC also doesn't help .

Jumper Jack I question your new job choice if they actually want you to come to work Monday morning!
yyznomad likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 5:30 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well, no chance at the status this year anyways right? Its from Jan 1st 2024 that it actually counts.

Originally Posted by painintheuk
Using points YYZ-YYC also doesn't help .
Hey, sub 15K in PY? I make that deal every time.

Originally Posted by painintheuk

Jumper Jack I question your new job choice if they actually want you to come to work Monday morning!
Oh I actually wanted to be back Sunday night myself, I just didnt want to get back to YYZ too late to be sleepy at the 9AM stand-up.
The other choice is to work remote on Monday at YYC, which entails an extra night of hotel charges.
painintheuk likes this.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Oct 19, 2023 at 5:38 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Oct 29, 2023, 11:42 am

I know Cow is staying at a Hyatt property. I am looking to book my hotel in the next day or two, looking to hear suggestions or where else folks are staying at.

Any recos of Bonvoy properties near our DO location? I am looking for one with the lounge, also happy to guest some1 else in as plat.
My budget is around 160 for non-lounge locations and 200 for lounge locations (but 220 if the lounge is very good and breakfast for plat is full vs continental), ideally as with decent amt of free parking nearby.

Also for airport hotels near YYC, any thoughts on Element vs Four Points?
Old Oct 29, 2023, 1:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Any recos of Bonvoy properties near our DO location?

Near the DO location, I recommend The Dorian, or the Couryard Calgary Downtown if you want to save a few dollars. They're both in the same physical building, newly opened in May 2022. Neither has a lounge unfortunately. But, there is The Wilde at The Dorian for food and cocktails. Rooms at both are comfortable. As a Titanium member, I was given a larger corner room at The Dorian on my last stay. Both have great rates for the DO weekend.

For the airport, I recommend using points and staying at the newly renovated Delta Hotels Calgary Airport In-Terminal. It's a great redemption value at ~16000 points.

I like the decor at Element Calgary Airport over Four Points by Sheraton Calgary Airport. Note that despite their names, they're a good distance from the airport proper.
Jumper Jack likes this.

Last edited by King Chung Huang; Oct 29, 2023 at 1:12 pm
Old Oct 29, 2023, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM , Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I know Cow is staying at a Hyatt property. I am looking to book my hotel in the next day or two, looking to hear suggestions or where else folks are staying at.

Any recos of Bonvoy properties near our DO location? I am looking for one with the lounge, also happy to guest some1 else in as plat.
My budget is around 160 for non-lounge locations and 200 for lounge locations (but 220 if the lounge is very good and breakfast for plat is full vs continental), ideally as with decent amt of free parking nearby.

I got the Westin downtown for $188. I think it has a lounge. I booked a while ago though. My suite upgrade just came through.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by boomerfss
I got the Westin downtown for $188. I think it has a lounge. I booked a while ago though. My suite upgrade just came through.
I don't believe Westin actually has one though, are you sure?
Nearby I see Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire has Club Lounge, I just called in and they confirmed that they had the lounge and that Plat gets full breakfast. Its currently 196 a night all in.
Congrats on the upgrade though!
Old Oct 29, 2023, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Hyatt was $185/night after taxes and I've had a confirmed conference suite since booking.

All y'all are looking at the wrong chain
Jumper Jack and boomerfss like this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM , Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I don't believe Westin actually has one though, are you sure?
Nearby I see Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire has Club Lounge, I just called in and they confirmed that they had the lounge and that Plat gets full breakfast. Its currently 196 a night all in.
Congrats on the upgrade though!
I think you are right. But you do get a free breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.