Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Forum Hang-Out Thread (2024)(formerly Forum Lounge Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
The original forum lounge thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information if its about AC/Aeroplan, it doesnt belong in this thread. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may should be posted to the relevant forum, as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge, that doesn't mean that the FT rules don't apply here (they definitely do), please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities, and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

For those interested, previous versions are here: original 2004 - 2014 thread, 2015, 2016 , 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Hang-Out Thread (2024)(formerly Forum Lounge Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2024 | 5:05 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

But I'm puzzled by reports that Conroy has been looking for a 2nd rounder. There are plenty of comps from recent years of less desirable guys going for a 1st, and Tanev's contract is cheaper than guys like Chiarot too.
Think the price is a 2nd + B prospect
Perhaps due to injury risk / durability issues?

As a Canucks fan, I love Tanev. Great add for any team that gets him
Old Feb 21, 2024 | 5:15 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
5 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Think the price is a 2nd + B prospect
Perhaps due to injury risk / durability issues?

As a Canucks fan, I love Tanev. Great add for any team that gets him
Yeah, but the Flames are already pretty loaded on B prospects. I'd rather take a 1st and nothing else, if only for the higher upside.

There's obviously some value in quantity of prospects, because a lot of them don't pan out, even in the top 10, and Gaudreau was a 4th rounder, Kucherov was picked in the 2nd round, Mark Stone was a 6th rounder, and of course Detroit had lots of great hits (although no one should expect to replicate Datsyuk and Zetterberg). But most of the league's top players were drafted in the 1st round. Usually fairly high up, but there are a few mid to late picks that are high-impact players (Pastrnak, Charlie Coyle, Robert Thomas, etc) that come might from the kind of picks a contender would trade away.

Of course, the Flames had 3 picks in the 1st round in 2013, and while Monahan worked out okay, Emile Poirier (drafted right before Andre Burakovsky) and Morgan Klimchuk (drafted right before Jason Dickinson and Ryan Hartman) combined for 9 NHL games and 1 NHL assist.
CanadianMike likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024 | 10:15 am
50 Countries Visited5M20 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
remember, kids--​​​​​​only you can prevent future cybercrime

https://www.whitehouse.gov/oncd/brie...hnical-report/

/They likely also want you to use their preferred encryption methods so that things are extra safe.
Old Feb 28, 2024 | 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by expert7700
remember, kids--​​​​​​only you can prevent future cybercrime

https://www.whitehouse.gov/oncd/brie...hnical-report/
I mean that report is interesting for a few reasons.

I don't disagree with the goals, but good luck getting the Linux Kernel switched off C.

Originally Posted by expert7700
/They likely also want you to use their preferred encryption methods so that things are extra safe.
I assume you're being sarcastic, but you're much better off following the NSA's recommendation than ignoring them.

The best way to have insecure comms is to assume you know better than them.
Old Feb 28, 2024 | 10:35 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: TK *G
I am not sure if the person writing the report actually wants to improve software security, or just wants to prove a point for whatever reason, just like most of the papers published by master and even some PhD students.
Old Feb 28, 2024 | 12:03 pm
50 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I actually had to fire up an IRC client yesterday to engage with Support about a "special" website.

First, I didn't know that IRC was still a thing.

Second, it took me a while (and some Googling) to recall what the pertinent commands and statuses were. Throwback Tuesday, I guess.
Spoiler

Old Feb 28, 2024 | 6:43 pm

Programs: AC 50K, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
And don't forget the more modern version when Burke got Phaneuf for a grab bag of spare parts (back when Phaneuf was one of the most promising young defencemen in the league, before the became the overpaid jerk who never quite lived up to his perceived potential). That reminded me of trading my little brother a bunch of crappy hockey cards for one good one - "I'm being nice to you, I'm giving you four guys, and you just have to give me this one! It's a great deal for you, you get way more guys!"

I just want to maximize the return. If the Leafs have the best package, send him there. If Dallas has a better offer, off to Texas he goes.

But I'm puzzled by reports that Conroy has been looking for a 2nd rounder. There are plenty of comps from recent years of less desirable guys going for a 1st, and Tanev's contract is cheaper than guys like Chiarot too.

Not too bad of a haul.
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2843613

Though was hoping they could have gotten a first instead of a second. Keeping the salary not a big fan, but I get it. Whats the chances the Dallas prospect turns into another Iggy, at least on the D. 😃

Last edited by kronos80; Feb 28, 2024 at 7:00 pm
Old Feb 28, 2024 | 7:17 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The best way to have insecure comms is to assume you know better than them.
And then there's the whole "I disable Windows Update and block all their domain names so Microsoft can't sneak more spyware onto my computer!" crowd....
Old Feb 28, 2024 | 9:14 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
5 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kronos80
Not too bad of a haul.
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2843613

Though was hoping they could have gotten a first instead of a second. Keeping the salary not a big fan, but I get it. Whats the chances the Dallas prospect turns into another Iggy, at least on the D. 😃
I'm underwhelmed. I don't mind the salary retention, but it makes the return look even worse. NJ got a 4th rounder for retaining 25%, and all the Flames got for the player himself and keeping half the salary was a 2nd, a C+ prospect (ranked #10 in Dallas's system according to the Athletic's recent rankings), and a highly unlikely conditional 3rd in 2026. A 2nd rounder that upgrades to a 1st if they make the Cup final this year. okay. A 2026 3rd that becomes a 2nd if they make the Cup final this year, okay.

But the key thing is that he got traded and the Flames added some more future assets.

Conroy managed not to retain salary on either the Lindholm or Zadorov deals, so the Flames still have 2 slots left, meaning if Hanifin and Markstrom both get traded, they can retain on both of those. If Markstrom doesn't get traded, maybe they can be a 3rd party broker in someone else's deal to pick up a mid-round pick.
Old Mar 7, 2024 | 12:36 pm

A Rum Punch with the addition of Ango? I think my perception has been shifted, and in a good way.

I'll need to try this at home, just to make sure it wasn't influenced by the bartender or locale.
Old Mar 12, 2024 | 11:23 am

As a fossil, I'm not normally a fan of ageism, but I fully support any bar that has one of these sections, especially in a place like NEV:

canadiancow and YOWgary like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024 | 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
As a fossil, I'm not normally a fan of ageism, but I fully support any bar that has one of these sections, especially in a place like NEV:

mmmm El Dorado 😋
Old Mar 12, 2024 | 11:42 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Reminds me of my last trip to the East End in Grand Cayman

Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024 | 3:24 pm

Fifteen is Better Than One

I would never dream of going to the Caribbean just to taste Rum, but if you are there anyway, why not make the Rum come to you?

A productive (Not!) way to spend an afternoon.
canadiancow and PLeblond like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024 | 3:47 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I would never dream of going to the Caribbean just to taste Rum, but if you are there anyway, why not make the Rum come to you?

A productive (Not!) way to spend an afternoon.
There are better reasons to go to Anguilla. And there are much, much worst reasons.

Wait...is there a bad reason to go to Anguilla?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.