Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Forum Hang-Out Thread (2024)(formerly Forum Lounge Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
The original forum lounge thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information if its about AC/Aeroplan, it doesnt belong in this thread. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may should be posted to the relevant forum, as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge, that doesn't mean that the FT rules don't apply here (they definitely do), please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities, and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

For those interested, previous versions are here: original 2004 - 2014 thread, 2015, 2016 , 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Hang-Out Thread (2024)(formerly Forum Lounge Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2024 | 12:19 pm
Formerly known as tireman77
50 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Just read the "Featured Map" on gcmap.com today.

Now that's my kind of plane geek. Flying SFO-LAX to grab some In-N-Out at the threshold of 24R and do some plane-spotting.
Old Apr 1, 2024 | 7:02 pm
Original Member

My, what a sad place this has become.

To be sure, like a phone directory it contains many snippets of useful information. But rather than being sorted by individual names, it's more like if a phone directory was sorted by province only. So the information is there, but finding it may be a challenge.

Did you not find what you are looking for? Is that because the information you are looking for doesn't exist, or because you didn't search hard enough? Or may be you did find something. But can you be sure it's the latest, best information? Or should you keep looking still?

Like I said, as the Air Canada FAQ I suppose it serves a purpose. And it's probably also be useful as a sleep aid.

But it seems utterly devoid of any originality, creativity, or... life... even.

Ah well, I'm glad I got to enjoy the best of it.
arf04, PLeblond and ccow like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024 | 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer
My, what a sad place this has become.

To be sure, like a phone directory it contains many snippets of useful information. But rather than being sorted by individual names, it's more like if a phone directory was sorted by province only. So the information is there, but finding it may be a challenge.

Did you not find what you are looking for? Is that because the information you are looking for doesn't exist, or because you didn't search hard enough? Or may be you did find something. But can you be sure it's the latest, best information? Or should you keep looking still?

Like I said, as the Air Canada FAQ I suppose it serves a purpose. And it's probably also be useful as a sleep aid.

But it seems utterly devoid of any originality, creativity, or... life... even.

Ah well, I'm glad I got to enjoy the best of it.
Couldn't agree more. I suggest the BA Forum for excellent entertainment and love of aviation.

Good to hear from you M. Hamer. It's been a while.
Old Apr 2, 2024 | 1:11 pm
50 Countries Visited5M20 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Anyone flying Monday to see the sun (or lack of sun)?

I just read about this historic flight:
https://primalnebula.com/concordes-7...solar-eclipse/

Perhaps codfather is busy cutting holes in the ceiling of a Dash8 to install windows? May have a bit of an issue exceeding mach 2.2.
Old Apr 2, 2024 | 1:19 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: TK *G
I considered taking a flight within the eclipse belt during the eclipse, even considered chartering a plane, and even considered convincing one of my friends with pilot license to charter a plane...

Anyway, I will position myself to somewhere near the centre of the total eclipse belt with favourable weather forecast, and avoid logistically challenging places such as Niagara Falls.

DL has two eclipse viewing flights but I believe both are completely sold out.
Old Apr 2, 2024 | 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700

Perhaps codfather is busy cutting holes in the ceiling of a Dash8 to install windows? May have a bit of an issue exceeding mach 2.2.
Great article. Thanks for sharing. Love the part about the eclipse out-running Concorde.

I won't be flying but rather stepping out onto my patio a few minutes, weather permitting, of course.
5Miles likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024 | 6:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by expert7700

Yes! Flying out Sunday to Quebec. Have some friends going to Mazatlan and others to Austin.

Viewing a meeting of the sun and the moon in its totality is a life-changing experience. Saw it in the US in 2017 and the whole experience is more mind-blowing that can be imagined. Catching the Jays in a cross-over game at Wrigley just before it made the whole experience amazing.

Delta has 2 special eclipse flights on April 8th from Texas to Michigan which will follow the path of totality. Hopefully they can fly out the clouds predicted for that path. Delta also lists 5 other routine flights where eclipse viewing will be possible on that day. I'm sure there will be many others in the sky but Delta has gone out of their way to list them.

Don't fall for the media saying the partial will be almost as good. Even 1% from totality will not allow for the spectacular event that is a total solar eclipse.

Wishing clear skies for all those hoping to catch it! The NYT has the best interactive cloud cover map that I've seen so far.
Old Apr 5, 2024 | 9:21 am
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by songsc
Unless the delayed is posted well in advance, you may still need to be sitting on the aircraft or waiting near the gate around the scheduled departure time.

I know this isn't what you are originally asking for, but other than YFC, there are quite a few places along the eclipse belt with favourable weather forecast, and are just a short drive from GTA, such as the south shore of Lake Erie, and Brockville/Cornwall area. Montreal and Eastern Townships in Quebec are also forecasted to have sunny weather.
My plan was Ft Erie but latest guidance isn't great.

PivotalWeather has a great site of ensemble forecasts, regularly upated.

https://www.pivotalweather.com/eclipse2024/

I'm thinking Montreal, but its on the edge and only about 1 minute 25 seconds of totality (compared to 4 minutes Buffalo) ... and to get south of there will involve horrendous traffic.

Kingston via Via is an option.
Old Apr 5, 2024 | 10:12 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
My plan was Ft Erie but latest guidance isn't great.

PivotalWeather has a great site of ensemble forecasts, regularly upated.

https://www.pivotalweather.com/eclipse2024/

I'm thinking Montreal, but its on the edge and only about 1 minute 25 seconds of totality (compared to 4 minutes Buffalo) ... and to get south of there will involve horrendous traffic.

Kingston via Via is an option.
Moving this conversation to the lounge thread.

My original plan was to take a flight along the eclipse belt during the eclipse so that I wouldn't worry about cloud. Then I soon realized that the delay and flight plan were much more difficult to predict than weather.

I never considered Niagara Falls, because I knew it would be crowded. I considered the southern edge of the Niagara Peninsula, and the north shore of Lake Erie in general, anywhere from Chatham-Kent to Fort Erie. Lots of open fields and not many people would go to places like Pelee Island or Port Colborne. Then I once I found out the weather wouldn't be ideal for Southern Ontario, I decided to go to Quebec. My current plan is staying in Montreal and move to either Sherbrooke or somewhere between Cornwall and Kingston on April 8. The traffic will likely be pretty bad on the Champlain Bridge and Jacques-Cartier Bridge, but I doubt many people will be using the Mercier Bridge or the A30 bridge, not to mention the ferry to Sorel-Tracy.
5Miles likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024 | 12:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by songsc
Moving this conversation to the lounge thread.

My original plan was to take a flight along the eclipse belt during the eclipse so that I wouldn't worry about cloud. Then I soon realized that the delay and flight plan were much more difficult to predict than weather.

I never considered Niagara Falls, because I knew it would be crowded. I considered the southern edge of the Niagara Peninsula, and the north shore of Lake Erie in general, anywhere from Chatham-Kent to Fort Erie. Lots of open fields and not many people would go to places like Pelee Island or Port Colborne. Then I once I found out the weather wouldn't be ideal for Southern Ontario, I decided to go to Quebec. My current plan is staying in Montreal and move to either Sherbrooke or somewhere between Cornwall and Kingston on April 8. The traffic will likely be pretty bad on the Champlain Bridge and Jacques-Cartier Bridge, but I doubt many people will be using the Mercier Bridge or the A30 bridge, not to mention the ferry to Sorel-Tracy.
I'm sure very few had the Northeast in their eclipse watching pool! If we could've predicted that, we would've planned to be on skis in the Townships or in Vermont. But as it is, we've shifted from Texas to Montreal, staying in the city within walking distance of all of the public events.

Ninety seconds at the edge of totality with models still showing clear skies, beats a gamble with high traffic of 4 minutes for us.

We were caught in the post-eclipse traffic in 2017 despite waiting hours after the event to get on the move. In the 2017, we were very close to the centre-line which only had a maximum of 2 and a half minutes then. We found that plenty to enjoy the spectacle. And then hit up our astrophotographer friends for their photos
Old Apr 5, 2024 | 12:45 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
YQX looks like a viable option and you might even get a ride in/out with the elusive codfather !
5Miles likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024 | 1:32 pm
20 Years on Site

Turns out I'm going to fly with a buddy who has a TBM-850 and we are going either to Sherbrooke or Cleveland.
PLeblond and 5Miles like this.
Old Apr 5, 2024 | 2:06 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Turns out I'm going to fly with a buddy who has a TBM-850 and we are going either to Sherbrooke or Cleveland.
Nice plane! Nice buddy too!
5Miles likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024 | 2:13 pm
10 Countries Visited500k100 Nights5 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I'm heading to Kouchibouguac myself (Moncton Sunday night). But vague where, specifically, in the park we'll go.

Hopefully at least some pilots will retain their eyesight, I've got to go to Omaha on Tuesday.
5Miles likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024 | 2:19 pm

YSC is somewhat out of town with very little nearby. But obviously probably a lot less crowded than Cleveland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.