Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Which one is better to LIS - AC810 or TP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2024 | 11:05 am
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Since both AC and Tap fly to Lisbon, I am wondering what the opinions of the experts here are on their business class products.

AC
- signature lounge (for revenue tix / business flexible)
- 1-2-1 seating more independent than Tap's 2-2 seats (but TP has throne seats)
- meal pre-order available (Tap isn't availble ex-YYZ)
- champagne and alcohol options seem more expensive?
- AC service is a hit or miss (maybe mostly a miss)

TP
- throne seats seem to be more spacious than AC's signature business seat in A330
- A321LR (narrowbody) - perhaps more attentive service?
- EU261 applies on flights to Europe (but I don't know if TP actually pays them)

Who has better food??

Last edited by traveller12345; Jun 26, 2024 at 11:08 am Reason: for J only
Old Jun 26, 2024 | 11:25 am
50 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I've done both in J, in both directions.

I'm not a huge fan of AC's 330 J product and I really like the TP throne seat, although it seems like a divisive topic. The food ex-YYZ is roughly comparable, but the TP soup course is kinda cool. TP service tends to be a little less friendly than AC, but also less variable IMHO.

The one weird thing is that I have had two TP flights out of YYZ that actually left early, to the point where I was running from the MLL with my name being called out on the PA.
yscleo likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2024 | 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL AC*E50
Its such a short flight and both airlines are a mediocre experience. Make the decision based on price/flight connections etc.
Some people prefer to arrive in Europe at 6am with the early TP flight, some prefer to depart late at night, personal preference.

Access to SS would probably sway me to AC, so I can get more sleep and skip the AC forgettable food/service on board.
On the way back it would be TP for sure.
Old Jun 26, 2024 | 1:00 pm
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I've done both in J, in both directions.

I'm not a huge fan of AC's 330 J product and I really like the TP throne seat, although it seems like a divisive topic. The food ex-YYZ is roughly comparable, but the TP soup course is kinda cool. TP service tends to be a little less friendly than AC, but also less variable IMHO.

The one weird thing is that I have had two TP flights out of YYZ that actually left early, to the point where I was running from the MLL with my name being called out on the PA.
Thank you for that info, on the flight I have booked it's showing J0 so I'll definitely go to the gate early. AC's MLL in YYZ is not exactly worth anyone's time anyway...
Old Jun 26, 2024 | 4:41 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: AC E50K
Did TAP J last year on this route. Crew was rather austere with drinks and a bit slow overall, but otherwise a totally fine experience. Row 1 has a significantly larger footwell, although it is a row of two as you probably now. Food was tasty and interesting, certainly a welcome change if you fly AC J regularly. Personally the SS would still win me over, all else equal.
Old Jun 26, 2024 | 6:30 pm
10 Years on Site

Also found that the TAP food was tastier and more interesting than AC, some of the best J food I've had. Nothing flashy, but was just simple and really well executed. Lovely Portuguese wines (I'm not one to check prices) and chocolates.

The horror stories of dealing with TAP during IRROPS would probably sway me to AC though.
Old Jun 26, 2024 | 6:37 pm
30 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA PP, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PC
If Aeroplan earnings are a consideration for you, TP earns 7124 SQM in J (200%) but no SQD (unless ticketed by AC) and no AC Lifetime Miles whereas AC earns 5343 SQM in J (150%) plus X SQD plus 5343 Lifetime Miles.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2024 | 6:54 pm
40 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
If Aeroplan earnings are a consideration for you, TP earns 7124 SQM in J (200%) but no SQD (unless ticketed by AC) and no AC Lifetime Miles whereas AC earns 5343 SQM in J (150%) plus X SQD plus 5343 Lifetime Miles.
Sadly TP is now only 150% for J.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...artners.html#/
Bohemian1 and yscleo like this.
Old Jun 26, 2024 | 7:40 pm
30 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA PP, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by vancouver25k
Oh wow, I missed this change which apparently already took place on 03/01/24. In this case AC is more appealing from an earnings perspective.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2024 | 9:12 pm
50 Countries Visited3M80 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: AC-SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by traveller12345
- EU261 applies on flights to Europe (but I don't know if TP actually pays them)
I found what you wrote here interesting as I flew TP two years ago between VCE & LIS and they were four hours delayed. They denied my EU261 claim, had to go through a third party, and got my compensation.
Captain Canuck likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2024 | 9:15 pm
10 Countries Visited500k100 Nights5 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by traveller12345
Thank you for that info, on the flight I have booked it's showing J0 so I'll definitely go to the gate early. AC's MLL in YYZ is not exactly worth anyone's time anyway...
Either way, AC or TP, cash or points, if you got J before you checked in, you've got no reason to bust your ... for the last 50m. And YYZ INTL MLL, or SSL (if that is the choice) a handful of carrot sticks is absolutely better than YYZ INTL INTERMINGLEDWITHSTARBUCKS.
Old Jun 27, 2024 | 12:01 am
50 Countries Visited1M80 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If I could mix and match, from a product/experience perspective, I would do AC on the outbound for SS access (and skip the food on board) and TP on the return for a change of pace. That said, neither J product is sufficiently good to outweigh schedule IMO.
Old Jun 27, 2024 | 5:30 am
RZR
10 Years on Site

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
I've not done Tap ever. Doing 4 throne seats YUL-LIS in 6 weeks.
Short flight, wanted to try something different, and good redemption cost were my reasons.
Lounges or SS lounge doesn;t sway me ever.... "AL"L lounges , we always find something to moan about. I set expectations , that way I'm never shocked
Old Jun 27, 2024 | 5:33 am
20 Countries Visited500k60 Nights10 Years on Site

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
To me neither AC nor TAP are substantially different, they each have their own pros and cons. That being the case, I'd take the AC flight eastbound with its later departure time, and have a better shot at actually getting some sleep. If travel schedules allowed it, I'd probably take TAP on the return leg if only to get home a bit sooner.
Old Jun 27, 2024 | 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL AC*E50
Originally Posted by Symmetre
That being the case, I'd take the AC flight eastbound with its later departure time, and have a better shot at actually getting some sleep. If travel schedules allowed it, I'd probably take TAP on the return leg if only to get home a bit sooner.
TAP leaves later than AC from YYZ.

But for sure the late flight. The earlier one arrives in Europe before 6am.... good for connections, not good for arrivals.
billdokes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.