Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wider impact of Covid-19 on Air NZ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2020 | 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Also that is 18 to a vaccine. Then need to do the immunisation campaign world wide. And somehow get that status linked to passports.
I remember when we used to travel with Yellow Fever vaccination certificates in certain countries, not sure if that is still a thing. Guess they would do something like this
Old Mar 30, 2020 | 4:59 pm
10 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
I remember when we used to travel with Yellow Fever vaccination certificates in certain countries, not sure if that is still a thing. Guess they would do something like this
Given the scale of this. Will be interesting if they sit down and move vaccination status into the SITA immigration passport verification stuff to reduce the paperwork & speed things up.
Old Mar 30, 2020 | 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
In the parliamentary committee today Sir David Skegg referred to potentially using antibody tests to check people at the border, prior to letting them in (referring to tourists) but it also raises the question of whether in order to travel overseas from NZ, we would need this to. That of course means you need to have caught it first!
Old Mar 30, 2020 | 6:59 pm
20 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
In the parliamentary committee today Sir David Skegg referred to potentially using antibody tests to check people at the border, prior to letting them in (referring to tourists) but it also raises the question of whether in order to travel overseas from NZ, we would need this to. That of course means you need to have caught it first!
The reality is this virus is new and everyone is just throwing pasta against the walls to see what potentially sticks (but it's too early so nothing does). In a few months we'll have a better idea of what the situation is. We know from previous pandemics that there will likely be multiple waves of this, it will travel via established trade routes and regional quarantines will provide little to no protection - all it takes is one person getting through.

I'm speaking as someone who feels trapped in the Seattle area of the USA, desperately wishing I was still in New Zealand or the South Pacific for the next few years.
Old Mar 31, 2020 | 1:42 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Pasta at walls is pretty accurate. There are so many unknowns, the world has literally never had to deal with this situation, we have absolutely no idea how it will play out for flying at all, and I am sure at this stage the airlines have zero idea either.
Old Mar 31, 2020 | 1:56 am

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
I tend to disagree, the world has been through this before with the Spanish Flu 1917-1919. Interesting to read the approach in the US at the time Federal absent and left to state governors same same but different.
Old Mar 31, 2020 | 2:00 am

Originally Posted by ClanJ
I tend to disagree, the world has been through this before with the Spanish Flu 1917-1919. Interesting to read the approach in the US at the time Federal absent and left to state governors same same but different.
Though pre aviation, pre vaccines, pre testing, pre mass travel/globalisation, etc
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020 | 2:58 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ClanJ
What did the other countries do about ? No quarantine or lockdown?

Was it the same for the Black death ? The government did not print any money ? No quarantine or lockdown?
Old Mar 31, 2020 | 2:59 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Though pre aviation, pre vaccines, pre testing, pre mass travel/globalisation, etc
It traveled by boat and carriages instead
Old Mar 31, 2020 | 4:28 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by Beano
It traveled by boat and carriages instead
You say that as though it is remotely the same situation today...

The world is a completely different place, to say the least.
Old Mar 31, 2020 | 3:59 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...-zealand-skies
More details about planes parked up and the incredibly low volumes of passengers:
Stuff has been told of other recent shifts where crew saw less than seven passengers on an entire day of flying, across multiple sectors.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/120...ds-58-aircraft
Air New Zealand has grounded just over half its fleet around the country amid the coronavirus lockdown.

The airline has parked 58 of its 114 aircraft across Auckland, Nelson, Christchurch and Wellington airports.
The grounded planes are:
  • 7 Q300 domestic turbo prop
  • 10 ATR-72 domestic turbo prop
  • 23 Airbus A320 domestic and shorthaul international
  • 12 Boeing 777-200ER and 777-300ER long haul
  • 6 Boeing 787-9 international long haul
Old Apr 1, 2020 | 3:55 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...ockdown-period
The airline's domestic schedule while the country is at Alert Level 4 is as follows:
Auckland - Christchurch
3 x return services Monday - Friday
1 x return service Saturday/Sunday

Auckland - Wellington
1 x return service Monday - Sunday

Wellington - Christchurch
2 x return services Monday - Friday
1 x return service Saturday/Sunday

Wellington - Nelson
1 x return service Monday - Friday

Christchurch - Dunedin
1 x return service Monday
1 x return service Friday
Old Apr 1, 2020 | 4:24 pm

Though in addition they have said they have capacity to stand up charters to other destinations at short notice.
Old Apr 1, 2020 | 4:44 pm

Though in addition they have said they have capacity to stand up charters to other destinations at short notice.
Have there been any repatriation charters apart from Wuhan yet? I wonder if we'll see the Koru in some unusual places over the next few weeks.
Old Apr 2, 2020 | 3:49 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by ps107
Have there been any repatriation charters apart from Wuhan yet? I wonder if we'll see the Koru in some unusual places over the next few weeks.
Not NZers but we'll be seeing the Koru at FRA soon for the first time in many years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.