Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 1, 2021, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jmd001
For the most current information on Guest Upgrades, go to the "Complimentary Upgrades" web page. Under "Guest Upgrades" expand "How do I apply guest upgrades to a reservation?" and "Guest upgrade rules" for more details.
Print Wikipost

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:31 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG/*A Gold
After trying for a few years and ranting here (#488) I had givien up on using a GGU. Peviously, I even gifted one or two to a fellow FTer. An upcoming 4 hour flight had a teaser about using an upgrade cert but I didn't have any. Aahh, but my wife is MVPG, maybe she has some I wondered. Well, she has four and certainly won't miss one. Welcome to First Class, rxgeek.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 9:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I've been reasonably successful at using these on transcons. Two weeks out I managed to find U space on 04/17 AS547 BOS-SFO and apply a GGU there.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 9:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AS MVP Gold 100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond(Amex), Marriott Platinum
Wife and I are flying SMF-SEA-MIA roundtrip in August. Flight out has an overnight layover in Sea, flight back has a less than 4 hr layover in SEA. U space available on SMF-SEA/SEA-SMF legs but not on SEA-MIA/MIA-SEA legs. I want to book the MVPG U fare(which is same price as main) and use the GGU's if space opens up. My question is can I book this without the GGU's being applied to the SMF legs as I only have four GGU's. Thanks for any help!
Old May 7, 2023, 4:01 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Assuming upgrade space is available, will one Gold Guest Upgrade work on a round trip mileage run if the layover is less than 4 hours? As in LAX-SEA (2 hour layover) SEA-LAX?
Old May 7, 2023, 9:22 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG, Hyatt GoH
Originally Posted by Paella747
Assuming upgrade space is available, will one Gold Guest Upgrade work on a round trip mileage run if the layover is less than 4 hours? As in LAX-SEA (2 hour layover) SEA-LAX?
i think the rules it a one way with a connection under 4 hours is covered by a single GGU, as you can't book your flight as a one way I don't think it would apply here
Old May 7, 2023, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RedPanda5
i think the rules it a one way with a connection under 4 hours is covered by a single GGU, as you can't book your flight as a one way I don't think it would apply here
A connection right at 4 hours is also valid. It doesn't have to be "under." I agree that a return won't work but as part of a larger itinerary it will. I have flown to the Islands and back on a single GGU.

James
Old May 7, 2023, 7:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Just used one on HNL-SEA which was nice.
Flying for Fun and Bellerina like this.
Old May 7, 2023, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by Paella747
Originally Posted by RedPanda5
​​​
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
A connection right at 4 hours is also valid. It doesn't have to be "under." I agree that a return won't work but as part of a larger itinerary it will. I have flown to the Islands and back on a single GGU.
simple answer to OP’s q is “YES”

two other single-PNR single-GGU examples, with all connections less than or equal to 4 hours:
  • last fall I did a ~12-hour turn EWR-SFO-JFK (lv ~815p ar ~1130p, lv ~1220a ar ~8a) where I was able to confirm all U space at booking (~7 days out)
  • Apr 2018 I did a ~36-hr trip SEA-ANC-PDX-MCO-SAN-BWI (lv ~6p ar ~8p, lv ~1130p ar ~530a, lv ~8a ar ~4p, lv ~5p ar 630p, lv 1030p ar ~6a); SEA-ANC never cleared, ANC-PDX and SAN-BWI cleared at booking ~7 days out, PDX-MCO cleared ~T-72, MCO-SAN cleared ~T-24)
Old May 12, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AS MVP Gold 100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond(Amex), Marriott Platinum
So, vacationing in Hawaii. Got an email from expert flyer that U space has opened up for Sept SEA-MIA flight. Call in to up fare and apply GGU. Somehow was charged miles instead of using the cert. Called back today to fix it and she redeposited the miles and just upgraded me without having to use a GGU cert. Really love AS!

Last edited by macmedic; May 12, 2023 at 12:07 pm Reason: Grammar
Old May 12, 2023, 7:12 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, FlyingBlueGold, Marriott Amb
Just used 4 at once for SFO-HNL for July 4th week, 1 way.. . Can’t recall using 4 at one time like that and to have that availability for Hawaii summer trip.
Taoyuan and Arsene Wenger like this.
Old May 14, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
First time trying to use (without full knowledge how they worked) Gold upgrade certificates on an upcoming LAX-DCA flight next month booked in N class. Purchased the tickets then it brought be to a screen to upgrade the flight. I was unable to check the boxes for the flights. I called Alaska, which I rarely ever do, and a very understanding agent explained everything to me. She stated there was no upgrade available at this time.

so looking at my reservation, it stated that my first class upgrade is waitlisted. I assume this is the Gold upgrade request. My question is, will the system automatically upgrade me if space comes available from today until departure or do I have to look daily to see if there is space available? Also, since I am 100k, would my Gold upgrade request come before people who might get a complimentary upgrade due to status?

thanks much.
Old May 14, 2023, 7:04 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

"U" class must be available at the time of the request, as guest upgrades may not utilize the upgrade waitlist."
Old May 14, 2023, 9:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
[S]o looking at my reservation, it stated that my first class upgrade is waitlisted. I assume this is the Gold upgrade request.
At this time you cannot waitlist with a Gold Guest Upgrade Certificate. That is something that is supposed to be coming but no date for implementation has been announced.

Currently, you are "waitlisted" for a First Class upgrade based on your Elite Status. You aren't actually on the waitlist at this time, you are in a wiatlist upgrade queue for your Elite Status and will moved to the waitlist at your Elite Tier window based on your fare class, Million Miler Status and time in the request queue.

My question is, will the system automatically upgrade me if space comes available from today until departure or do I have to look daily to see if there is space available?
No, you won't automatically be upgraded to First Class if U space opens between now and your Elite Tier window. You will need to monitor for U space and call in if it becomes available. You can't self-service since you can't apply a GGU if you are already waitlisted. The agent needs to cancel the waitlist request and then apply the GGU or you can apply the GGU yourself online afterwards.

Also keep in mind that there may be Elites already on the waitlist if they purchased an eligible fare for their Elite Status and if the upgrade processor fires after U space being released, it should clear those already on the waitlist.

Fare class N is the lowest fare that a GGU can be applied to. It isn't, however, an eligible fare for any Elite Tier and since you cannot immediately upgrade without U space availability, you are treated just like any other Elite with respect to upgrades.

Also, since I am 100k, would my Gold upgrade request come before people who might get a complimentary upgrade due to status?
No, as explained, your upgrade request at this time is based on Elite Status and treated as such. There is no Gold Guest upgrade "request!" You will need to monitor for U space availability and call in to apply the GGU should U space present.

James
minhaoxue and mildfrequence like this.
Old May 14, 2023, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
At this time you cannot waitlist with a Gold Guest Upgrade Certificate. That is something that is supposed to be coming but no date for implementation has been announced.

Currently, you are "waitlisted" for a First Class upgrade based on your Elite Status. You aren't actually on the waitlist at this time, you are in a wiatlist upgrade queue for your Elite Status and will moved to the waitlist at your Elite Tier window based on your fare class, Million Miler Status and time in the request queue.

No, you won't automatically be upgraded to First Class if U space opens between now and your Elite Tier window. You will need to monitor for U space and call in if it becomes available. You can't self-service since you can't apply a GGU if you are already waitlisted. The agent needs to cancel the waitlist request and then apply the GGU or you can apply the GGU yourself online afterwards.

Also keep in mind that there may be Elites already on the waitlist if they purchased an eligible fare for their Elite Status and if the upgrade processor fires after U space being released, it should clear those already on the waitlist.

Fare class N is the lowest fare that a GGU can be applied to. It isn't, however, an eligible fare for any Elite Tier and since you cannot immediately upgrade without U space availability, you are treated just like any other Elite with respect to upgrades.

No, as explained, your upgrade request at this time is based on Elite Status and treated as such. There is no Gold Guest upgrade "request!" You will need to monitor for U space availability and call in to apply the GGU should U space present.

James
This is very helpful and I appreciate your explanation . I think this is why I never tried to use these upgrades because it seems to convoluted to a novice like me.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 8:28 am

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, FlyingBlueGold, Marriott Amb
This is very helpful and I appreciate your explanation . I think this is why I never tried to use these upgrades because it seems to convoluted to a novice like me.
It is tough to use them on longer flights way in advance, but all the various instruments from other airlines operate in a similar manner and only have slightly better or worse availability... However most of them make it easier to know what qualifies at booking and what doesn't by simply including it in the search results for your flight. You can do the same with Alaska but you have to select that toggle when you search, per my screen shot.. You can see these flights do not have availability at time of booking... If they did it would say something like first class confirmed and then once you book, you apply and can go back and choose your seats.

I was fortunate to be able to use 4 recently for July trip to Hawaii. Posted earlier that I can't recall using 4 on one flight before (at least one that distance/location).
minhaoxue likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.