Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 1, 2021, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jmd001
For the most current information on Guest Upgrades, go to the "Complimentary Upgrades" web page. Under "Guest Upgrades" expand "How do I apply guest upgrades to a reservation?" and "Guest upgrade rules" for more details.
Print Wikipost

Using (MVP Gold) Guest Upgrade (GGU) Certificates

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2024, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mpeterson78
Yes, I have used GGUs for tickets booked through my company portal.
That would be rather foolish of AS to not allow this.
samosa and TalkingPoint like this.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 7:44 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Used my companion cert, I booked SEA MCO SAN SEA. There was upgrade space on the return but not the SEA MCO redye. Of course, in order for them to apply GGU, they had to remove me from the upgrade list.

Turns out, I cannot be re-added to list on SEA MCO...like W T H?! Both twitter and text agents have said that the remaining legs in an itinerary cannot be added to the list since I used a GGU on the inbound. WOW!
anteater likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
Turns out, I cannot be re-added to list on SEA MCO...like W T H?! Both twitter and text agents have said that the remaining legs in an itinerary cannot be added to the list since I used a GGU on the inbound. WOW!
That's nonsense (assuming things did not suddenly change, but feels very unlikely to me). Try calling in again tomorrow?
Old Jun 16, 2024, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by frankvb
That's nonsense (assuming things did not suddenly change, but feels very unlikely to me). Try calling in again tomorrow?
It could be true, due to the policy changes of offering buy up to F to all passengers , before processing elite UG and GGU.

​​
Old Jun 16, 2024, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by frankvb
twitter agent said that the system, currently, only allows one to either be on the list or not. So I guess since I cannot be on the list of the upgraded inbound, I cannot be on the list on the outbound...Makes no sense. But then, this is AS IT after all.

I'll try calling later, when I get a chance.
Old Jun 16, 2024, 10:25 pm

Programs: Yes
Used my companion cert, I booked SEA MCO SAN SEA. There was upgrade space on the return but not the SEA MCO redye. Of course, in order for them to apply GGU, they had to remove me from the upgrade list.

I can’t speak to if it’s policy (haven’t even checked), but this mirrors all of my experiences of attempting to use a GGU on part of a ticket (one way multi leg, RT, multi leg RT). You’re either on a GGU or the WL, but not both.

🤙🏻🥃
Old Jun 16, 2024, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by anteater
..You’re either on a GGU or the WL, but not both.
AS CSR made this clear to me a few days ago - you have to be pulled off the waitlist to use GGU's.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by blue bear
AS CSR made this clear to me a few days ago - you have to be pulled off the waitlist to use GGU's.
That's understood. The annoying part is that if you have a round-trip reservation and you GGU the inbound only, you cannot be added to the list on the outbound.
Bellerina and blue bear like this.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 8:59 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
This is strange. Just last month, I confirmed a companion reservation with GGUs for part of the ticket but not another part. The other part still shows waitlisted.

Originally Posted by anteater
I can’t speak to if it’s policy (haven’t even checked), but this mirrors all of my experiences of attempting to use a GGU on part of a ticket (one way multi leg, RT, multi leg RT). You’re either on a GGU or the WL, but not both.

🤙🏻🥃
twitter agent said that the system, currently, only allows one to either be on the list or not. So I guess since I cannot be on the list of the upgraded inbound, I cannot be on the list on the outbound...Makes no sense. But then, this is AS IT after all.

I'll try calling later, when I get a chance.

Old Jun 17, 2024, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by soartoday
This is strange. Just last month, I confirmed a companion reservation with GGUs for part of the ticket but not another part. The other part still shows waitlisted.
Showing waitlisted doesn't mean you are actually on it.
I asked to be pulled from the waitlist to make sure that I could sit with family on separate tickets. I was shown as waitlisted the whole time when I pulled out the reservation both in app and on the website. But I never appeared on the actual waitlist when the flight happened.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 11:07 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
As a relatively naive and uninformed customer, I applied the GGUs online (just after booking) for the first leg when the U space was showing. The website didn't mention anything about needing to be removed from all waitlists on the reservation. Does this mean that I won't be on the upgrade list for remaining leg(s), even though the website still says waitlisted? Or is that only if an agent manually does it?

Originally Posted by blue bear
That's understood. The annoying part is that if you have a round-trip reservation and you GGU the inbound only, you cannot be added to the list on the outbound.
Originally Posted by Agosti
Showing waitlisted doesn't mean you are actually on it.
I asked to be pulled from the waitlist to make sure that I could sit with family on separate tickets. I was shown as waitlisted the whole time when I pulled out the reservation both in app and on the website. But I never appeared on the actual waitlist when the flight happened.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 11:09 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Removing upgrade requests

Received EF notification this morning that 2 upgrades became available on a SAN-BOS redeye on early August - just under one month out. I booked N tickets, but requested to be placed on the upgrade list, so it was not possible to apply GGUs. I called AS, agent removed the upgrade request but still no love, She check with support, was told that it was necessary to remove all upgrade references from the record. No idea if this was an issue of an inexperienced agent or another upgrade professor enhancement.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 3:39 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I’ve had bad luck in recent years redeeming GGU’s (years ago often had good luck using to Hawaii). In any case I just booked a trip SEA-JFK that happened to have availability both ways which is awesome!
pcoll and FenwayTim like this.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
GGU availabilty is awesome SFO-SEA or SFO-LAX. SFO-East Coast is very hard to find – not impossible, but nearly so to the point that I find GGU to be a mostly unusable/low value benefit.
Old Jul 19, 2024, 5:35 pm

Programs: Yes
I was able to use two GGUs during peak season for a family member to go to WDW, so that was a nice surprise.
pcoll and FenwayTim like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.