Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dmodemd
Formal announcement from Alaska Airlines:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...enefits-on-vx/

...details on how to get them are in the updated FAQ:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

1-877-FLY-VIRGIN now goes to Alaska reps. They need to coordinate with an AS team member who has VX systems access to do the work they need. Calling through your MVP priority call line will get you faster pick up.

Call ins are needed for AS booked flights on VX for:

- Making changes and getting change fee waived
- FC Upgrade purchases*

* FAQ says: "You can purchase available First Class upgrades in advance online", but it doesn't work yet for AS booked VX flights.

Online at VirginAmerica.com you can:

- Add yourself to MCS upgrade list (link should show in Manage function)
[WARNING: There is a report of this not actually working... recommend tweet to VX instead]
- Select preferred seating before clearing MCS
- Select MCS seat after clearing at your window (can also do with VX app)

Reports are that Twitter DMs to Virgin America are the fastest way to get assistance.
You may get referred to the VX phone line (which leads to Alaska Air) if your reservation has additional complications that may not be apparent to you.

Companions: If you have any companions on your reservation (regardless of status), you will need to call in your upgrade request when your clearance window opens.
Print Wikipost

VX Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Select (MCS) Upgrades Now Available for AS Elites

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Did I get a super agent when I called to get listed? I booked via alaskaair.com, had a VX - AS - AS flight, and she was able to add me to the waitlist via the MVP-G line. And of course it cleared at the T-24 mark.
Your experience definitely appears to be a one off, at least in this thread.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Did I get a super agent when I called to get listed? I booked via alaskaair.com, had a VX - AS - AS flight, and she was able to add me to the waitlist via the MVP-G line. And of course it cleared at the T-24 mark.
Best go buy some lotto tix
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Best go buy some lotto tix
well I havent sat in steerage on AS in a while either. Even when doing SDC's on almost *all* my flights Im clearing into F.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update. For tomorrows SFO-DEN VX flight the MCS upgrade cleared at T-24. 3 middles and 1 window available. Took the window in row 3.

Edit to add: Interestingly, tomorrows flight disappeared from the AS website. It still shows on the VX site and still shows my KTN and AS FF# so not worried. The reservation is still on the AS site and app but the first leg, tomorrow's flight, is gone.

Last edited by Baze; Sep 4, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
So after all my issues, got my father (Gold) the MCS upgrade at T-24, called in at T-25 after viewing all the seats in MCS were open, so I asked if there was a way to move him manually before check-in, the AS rep said he couldn't, he was even in VX system so I guess AS now can go into the VX and do the upgrades etc. So he put him on the upgrade list and at T-24 he was moved into the MCS seats.

Only issue is when this happens your reservation on the AS app gets deleted.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
My only experience, I was able to get in MCS by calling it in at T-24. My reservation on AS stayed intact.

For future reservations, to get on MCS waitlist, I was able to call in to AS and they were able to get it done by talking to the VX liason. They need to be told that there is a VX liaison they need to talk to who knows how to do these things.

On another future reservation I DM'd VX through Twitter and it was done in about 10 minutes.

If someone does not know how to do it, HUCA...
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by dmodemd
On another future reservation I DM'd VX through Twitter and it was done in about 10 minutes.
I just now tried this, got this response...

Hi there, please give us a ring at 1.877.359.8474 and one of our reservations agents can assist. Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BarryL
I just now tried this, got this response...

Hi there, please give us a ring at 1.877.359.8474 and one of our reservations agents can assist. Thanks!
Let us know if there was an issue with your reservation at all or had complicating factors (e.g. even a connection). The last one who reported this had some unknown issue with the reservation so the Twitter team sent him to the phone line.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Let us know if there was an issue with your reservation at all or had complicating factors (e.g. even a connection). The last one who reported this had some unknown issue with the reservation so the Twitter team sent him to the phone line.
The Twitter team didn't even ask for a confirmation code. They had no clue about any of my travel details. YMMV with Twitter DM
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:35 am

When I contacted them I sent last name and VX conf code in my request and they processed it. If they intended to do it for you, I presume they should have asked you for that information.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:05 pm

I was able to move up to seat 4A on my own through the link on confirmation page. VX is showing 4 available seats in MCS but neither AS Gold line nor VX agent could move me up there. They put my name on the wait list to be upgraded by the system.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Used the VX app in an existing reservation with my MP number, ended up in row 9...
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
just booked DCA-SFO-SEA on the AS website, surprised to see that I was able to select 8A (exit row at the 2L door) on the A321 ... found a trip report from the inaugural on the VX board and discovered that there's actually no window for that seat, save the little round one in the door itself, so I went to "Manage Reservations" on the VX website and was able to get 6F ... online chat reportedly has me on the MCS upgrade list
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Recently made a reservation for January with a VX segment, and I was able to select 8F on the AS site while booking and then move up to 4F on the VX site. I just called in to see about getting on the MCS upgrade list, but the agent hadn't even heard of AS having VX liaisons (and seemed to be a bit confused about what exactly I wanted, i.e. an instant F or MCS upgrade and not just an MCS waitlisting). Going to try DMing VX Twitter support now.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
I used the "Contact Us" link on the VX which gave me an option for real-time chat ... maybe 15 sec to connect, maybe 3 min until Tara typed that she had added "MCS UG Request" to my VX PNR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.