Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS to start ANC-CDB, move up AKN/DLG service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS to start ANC-CDB, move up AKN/DLG service

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 2:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Any updates on CDB? Did a quick search and didn't see anything on alaskaair.com at least for sale...
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Any updates on CDB? Did a quick search and didn't see anything on alaskaair.com at least for sale...
I haven’t seen anything yet. I’d imagine it will take some time to get the logistics sorted out, along with equipment send to CDB. If an AS freighter makes a trip to CDB soon then we will know it is imminent!
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Chugach
I haven’t seen anything yet. I’d imagine it will take some time to get the logistics sorted out, along with equipment send to CDB. If an AS freighter makes a trip to CDB soon then we will know it is imminent!
That is true- might need to set some freighter alerts up. Imagine they've been having some exciting runs recently.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:34 pm

Not to mention, the restrictions on intrastate travel within Alaska have just been extended until further notice; I'd presume AS wants to wait until those restrictions are lifted before launching new intrastate service?

Last edited by jhurwitz; Apr 21, 2020 at 9:35 pm Reason: removed twitter embed that was accidentally mid-sentence
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:52 am

Little article about cold bay. Doesn't really add a lot to what is already known except that AS is in the process of moving equipment to the airport. Not sure how? Would that be by AS freighters or can you access cold bay by road.

https://www.kucb.org/post/alaska-air...d-bay#stream/0
Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by SNAnghbr
Little article about cold bay. Doesn't really add a lot to what is already known except that AS is in the process of moving equipment to the airport. Not sure how? Would that be by AS freighters or can you access cold bay by road.

No road access there, but it’s possible by boat, which might be the best way depending on how big the equipments are.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

A few more details here: https://www.kdlg.org/post/alaska-air...ce-bristol-bay

Sounds like they are waiting for the 7H bankruptcy hearings to end so they can acquire their facilities in AKN and DLG.

Haven’t seen anything recent on CDB, but the Aleutians East Borough owns a terminal there that I suspect AS will use. Probably just a matter of getting equipment and TSA set up there.
Old May 5, 2020, 2:06 am

A few more details here: https://www.kdlg.org/post/alaska-air...ce-bristol-bay

Sounds like they are waiting for the 7H bankruptcy hearings to end so they can acquire their facilities in AKN and DLG.

Haven’t seen anything recent on CDB, but the Aleutians East Borough owns a terminal there that I suspect AS will use. Probably just a matter of getting equipment and TSA set up there.
Thanks for posting the update ^

With CVG gone, *maybe* I can get on CDB
Old May 8, 2020, 7:46 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by SNAnghbr

Originally Posted by ezak
No road access there, but it’s possible by boat, which might be the best way depending on how big the equipments are.
Most heavy equipment (really, most everything) coming out to the chain, including Cold Bay, comes on barges from Seattle. The state ferry also calls at Cold Bay (out of Homer and Kodiak) for rolling stock.

In the long-ago days of Reeve Aleutian (RAA RIP, my signature) there was a bunkhouse, cafe and shop run by the old Flying Tigers air cargo company at Cold Bay. Reeve used CDB as a hub, flying out to DUT, KQA. KVC, SDP, KFP, IKO and other villages on the chain. Adak and Shemya were served by a Electras (and later by 727s) out of ANC, and only stopped at CDB when weather or irregular ops forced it. CDB was not a terrific place to be stuck; trust me, I know. Oh how I know.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 11:09 am
Original Poster

CDB is loaded. 2x weekly, flight continues on to ADK.

Service starts a week from today, May 16.
Old May 9, 2020, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
CDB is loaded. 2x weekly, flight continues on to ADK.

Service starts a week from today, May 16.
Now THAT would be a fun tag flight although I'd probably turn back around when I got to ADK.

EDIT: I didn't realize AS was going to still keep the non-stop to ADK...that means you could fly the one-stop to ADK and fly home on the non-stop with about 90 min. on the ground in ADK....hmmm....another cool option!

Last edited by PDXPremier; May 9, 2020 at 11:31 am
Old May 9, 2020, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Now THAT would be a fun tag flight although I'd probably turn back around when I got to ADK.

EDIT: I didn't realize AS was going to still keep the non-stop to ADK...that means you could fly the one-stop to ADK and fly home on the non-stop with about 90 min. on the ground in ADK....hmmm....another cool option!
I can all but guarantee the ANC-ADK nonstop is going away, they probably just haven’t completed the schedule update.

That said, the CDB schedule sets up to where you could have about 5 hours on the ground in Cold Bay. It would be an interesting little day trip.
Old May 9, 2020, 10:27 pm

I can all but guarantee the ANC-ADK nonstop is going away, they probably just haven’t completed the schedule update.

That said, the CDB schedule sets up to where you could have about 5 hours on the ground in Cold Bay. It would be an interesting little day trip.
That would be fun. There *is no* saver space in main cabin 5/16
Old May 10, 2020, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Looks like DLG now starts 5/18 and AKN on 5/19. DLG appears to be 3x weekly and AKN 2x weekly until both go daily in June (for now).
Old May 10, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Seen on the A.net update that the nonstop is gone as expected.
Chugach likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.