Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Spend $10K on AS Visa, Get 2,000 EQM (5/1/2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spend $10K on AS Visa, Get 2,000 EQM (5/1/2013)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2023, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
Didn't the previous versions of the promo / similar promos have a cap on the total number of EQMs you could earn?

Assuming the "2k EQM for each $10k spend" is correct, you could spend your way (theoretically) all the way to MVP 100k with this promo. Though, my guess is you have access to the $500,000 in credit card spend that'd require, you probably have more compelling things to do with your money, and you'd still need to fly 24 segments.
lensovet likes this.
Old May 1, 2023, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by WrightHI
I wish they'd just introduce a legit premium card and be done with it. Copying the top Delta Amex would be a good place to start.
You mean like copying the part where you need to spend money to get elite status (or have it waived when you have and spend 25k,250k on particular Delta cobrand credit cards) and "a mile earned is a dollar spent on the flight times a multiplier, not a mile flown times a multiplier"? Plus 300k SkyPesos to fly one way to Europe in J?

I for one don't particularly like the chip, chip, chip™ program devaluations that make MP closer to SkyPesos but I guess it takes all kinds.
Old May 1, 2023, 2:58 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by anteater
I would love to know how this will impact the elite ranks, though I know AS will never disclose. 🤙🏻🥃
Based on other promos AS has done: probably a small bump in the number of MVP, a much smaller bump in Gold, and very little change for 75k/100k.

The people who fly 73k are going to make sure they hit 75000 one way or another, but there are lot people who fly regularly but don't quite make MVP. These promos are luring people who don't make MVP, for those of us higher in the pecking order, it's just a bonus... or one less mileage run in December because we did our math wrong.
StrandedinLA, buschoi and anteater like this.
Old May 1, 2023, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by atourgates
Didn't the previous versions of the promo / similar promos have a cap on the total number of EQMs you could earn?

Assuming the "2k EQM for each $10k spend" is correct, you could spend your way (theoretically) all the way to MVP 100k with this promo. Though, my guess is you have access to the $500,000 in credit card spend that'd require, you probably have more compelling things to do with your money, and you'd still need to fly 24 segments.
Last year it was 1000 EQM for $5k in spend, and looking at my records I earned it four times. Some of those were really due to the BofA 3X promo in November that I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I don’t recall if the 2021 version had a cap.

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Based on other promos AS has done: probably a small bump in the number of MVP, a much smaller bump in Gold, and very little change for 75k/100k.

The people who fly 73k are going to make sure they hit 75000 one way or another, but there are lot people who fly regularly but don't quite make MVP. These promos are luring people who don't make MVP, for those of us higher in the pecking order, it's just a bonus... or one less mileage run in December because we did our math wrong.
Both in 2021 and in 2022 the extra EQM have bumped me a level higher than I would otherwise have gotten. I might have done an MR last year instead since I was reasonably close to Gold.

This year, looking at my current planning, I will end the year with around 46k EQM of natural flying. To get to 75k with this promo, I would have to charge up a giant storm. And I don’t think I am interested in MRing 29k miles either. So I signed up for the promo “just in case” some significant (likely international) travel pops up that I didn’t anticipate. Then maybe I will be close enough to benefit from this promo, especially if it aligns with property taxes and a repeat of the 3X promo day in November.
Old May 1, 2023, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I spent less than $5K last year to earn 75K status (75K EQM), and no saver tickets either. I fly transcon a lot, have to anyway, and sit in the front of the cabin 9 out of 10 flights on all G fares.
Haven't seen prices like that in quite a while, at least on the dates when I want to go out of SEA... I think I'd MR for that.

That said maybe this will help on the margins, the one of these two years ago was quite helpful.
Old May 1, 2023, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Last year it was $5k spend -> 1000 EQM.
Wonder if BofA is going to do another More Rewards day in November. Used that last year to pay my property taxes and estimated taxes and get 3X AS miles.
That was an awesome deal and I hit it hard across AS/FB/VS cards but given all the issues that they had to follow up on transactions not tracking correct I think there is close to zero chance it will come back again.
Old May 1, 2023, 5:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
I am hoping the ad copy stumps the T&C on this offer (I saved a screen shot just in case) and if I spend my usual 20k a month on the card (mine, spouses and both our businesses) I’ll end up at 28,000 EQM I wasn’t planning on. That combined with a euro trip in paid J and my usual 30-40 AS flights should work well.

FYI there is a PDX/JFK $99 deal in May right now for a mileage run, but it arrives at 10pm, so would require an overnight for those looking for one.

Last edited by Waitlisted; May 1, 2023 at 6:27 pm
Old May 1, 2023, 6:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
FYI there is a PDX/JFK $99 deal in May right now for a mileage run, but it arrives at 10pm, so would require an overnight for those looking for one.
Not to change the topic, but looking for lodging at PDX in August (flying in the night before to catch my award J ticket on DE 2091, a 4:30PM departure). I saw your location is Portland and am wondering if you have any airport hotel recommendations. I try to stick to Hilton brand for these types of trips and have booked the Home2Suites because it looked to be the newest property in the area. If you have any strong feelings towards another hotel, I would consider it.
Old May 1, 2023, 8:46 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Got the email today and signed up. Will not change my behavior at all. Expect to be around 105-110 K miles this year regardless.
Old May 1, 2023, 11:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You mean like copying the part where you need to spend money to get elite status (or have it waived when you have and spend 25k,250k on particular Delta cobrand credit cards) and "a mile earned is a dollar spent on the flight times a multiplier, not a mile flown times a multiplier"? Plus 300k SkyPesos to fly one way to Europe in J?

I for one don't particularly like the chip, chip, chip™ program devaluations that make MP closer to SkyPesos but I guess it takes all kinds.
No, more like the part where they bundle lounge access and an F companion fare with some EQM earning for spend instead of the half-hearted experimentation they’ve been playing around with. I take your point that inflation of nominal bennies tends to lead to deflation of value delivered, but AS tends to stay toward the back of the pack in the race to the bottom, which is about as good as we’re likely to get.
flytoeat likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 9:30 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Not to change the topic, but looking for lodging at PDX in August (flying in the night before to catch my award J ticket on DE 2091, a 4:30PM departure). I saw your location is Portland and am wondering if you have any airport hotel recommendations. I try to stick to Hilton brand for these types of trips and have booked the Home2Suites because it looked to be the newest property in the area. If you have any strong feelings towards another hotel, I would consider it.
Well AKlifetime, the only time I stay at PDX considering I live here is for a super early flight on a snowy day, and that’s usually the Hyatt Place as I use CSR transfer miles. There is an Embassy Suites right on property though. Probably your best best. Hope you get the new A350Neo of your DE flight, our J flight on DE last year was a very beat up no aisle access B767.
Old May 2, 2023, 10:56 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Well AKlifetime, the only time I stay at PDX considering I live here is for a super early flight on a snowy day, and that’s usually the Hyatt Place as I use CSR transfer miles. There is an Embassy Suites right on property though. Probably your best best. Hope you get the new A350Neo of your DE flight, our J flight on DE last year was a very beat up no aisle access B767.
So far it's looking like the A330neo, which is why I positioned myself in PDX. I have taken the 767 in J three times from ANC (2012, 16, 19) and the hard has improved each time. The on-board soft product has always been good. But having true lay flat on the A330neo would be vastly better! That said, as an aircraft I will always love the 767, great plane with a lot of power in those P&W's.
Waitlisted likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Signed up just in case. But I’m already at 85k EQM for thé year. Mid year May be at about 95k with natural flying.

not goi g to move anything over to AS card. I already have a high 6 figure balance already.
Old May 2, 2023, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
That was an awesome deal and I hit it hard across AS/FB/VS cards but given all the issues that they had to follow up on transactions not tracking correct I think there is close to zero chance it will come back again.
I am certainly not counting on it, but perhaps they resolved the problems they had? As far as I know, all my points posted without issues last year.
Old May 8, 2023, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Incredibly weak. Just received several Chase promos offering 2 points/miles per $1 spend. Amex also sent a promo for 1.5/1 spend.

yes EQM are nice but I’m not giving up transferable points esp for such a weak earn rate. Maybe if you were close to the threshold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.