Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Award tickets no longer refundable directly to mileage account?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award tickets no longer refundable directly to mileage account?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2024, 8:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt
This is still happening and there's even a problem with cancelling cash/credit fares as well now. I tried earlier this morning to cancel both types online but because they involved a partner and experienced several schedule changes, the dreaded "This reservation is not eligible for online changes. Please call..." pop up appeared. I talked to an agent and first we tackled the award. The trip is now gone from my list but neither the miles nor the taxes (I used wallet funds for those, minus the $12.50 partner charge) have returned to my account, 9 hours later. The cash/credit fare was also canceled but the agent noticed something odd on his screen and said that it's telling him that it will take 5-7 days for the ticket value to be sent to me in an email. He thought that was odd and wondered why it didn't just automatically go to my wallet. I'll keep monitoring my account for changes.
Old Jul 15, 2024, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just canceled an award on the website this afternoon. Was offered the usual choice of options and points are back in my account.
beckoa likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2024, 1:10 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Cancelled international award earlier today and miles went directly back into account. Cancelled another domestic award and won't even process. I hope AS' IT feels better soon.
Speedbird84 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2024, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by TEDisgone
This is still happening and there's even a problem with cancelling cash/credit fares as well now. I tried earlier this morning to cancel both types online but because they involved a partner and experienced several schedule changes, the dreaded "This reservation is not eligible for online changes. Please call..." pop up appeared. I talked to an agent and first we tackled the award. The trip is now gone from my list but neither the miles nor the taxes (I used wallet funds for those, minus the $12.50 partner charge) have returned to my account, 9 hours later. The cash/credit fare was also canceled but the agent noticed something odd on his screen and said that it's telling him that it will take 5-7 days for the ticket value to be sent to me in an email. He thought that was odd and wondered why it didn't just automatically go to my wallet. I'll keep monitoring my account for changes.
UPDATE: the miles and taxes from the cancelled award have been returned to my account overnight, so just about two days later. I'm still awaiting that email with details on the funds for my cancelled cash ticket.
Old Jul 16, 2024, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
UPDATE: the miles and taxes from the cancelled award have been returned to my account overnight, so just about two days later. I'm still awaiting that email with details on the funds for my cancelled cash ticket.
I also had to call in to cancel a cash ticket Saturday @6pm and still waiting.

Last edited by philemer; Jul 16, 2024 at 8:40 am
Old Jul 17, 2024, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
I also had to call in to cancel a cash ticket Saturday @6pm and still waiting.
I called in today and asked the agent if she could check out why my refund was taking so long (4+ days). After a few minutes she came back and said the reason for the delay is b/c the original flt was booked, at least partially, with Wallet funds. And when you cancel this type of ticket it requires manual handling & could take up to 7 days. She said my refund was in a queue awaiting processing. Nothing to do but be patient.
Old Jul 17, 2024, 8:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
I called in today and asked the agent if she could check out why my refund was taking so long (4+ days). After a few minutes she came back and said the reason for the delay is b/c the original flt was booked, at least partially, with Wallet funds. And when you cancel this type of ticket it requires manual handling & could take up to 7 days. She said my refund was in a queue awaiting processing. Nothing to do but be patient.
I just cancelled a cash ticket fully paid with wallet funds and the funds went back to the wallet instantly. So I guess the key factor of delay is that the ticket is paid partially with cc and partially with wallet funds.
Old Jul 17, 2024, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Agosti
I just cancelled a cash ticket fully paid with wallet funds and the funds went back to the wallet instantly. So I guess the key factor of delay is that the ticket is paid partially with cc and partially with wallet funds.
Or maybe that I had made one previous change to the rez? Mystery to me.

[Edit: Took 5 1/2 days for wallet funds to be returned.]
TEDisgone likes this.

Last edited by philemer; Jul 19, 2024 at 11:31 am Reason: add a DP
Old Jul 18, 2024, 8:02 am

Okay, so I received a "credit certificate" overnight and I successfully deposited it into my wallet. I did have reservation changes, it involved a partner, and I may have used a combo of wallet funds and "new" funds... but it's been resolved! Whew.
philemer likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2024, 3:16 pm

Also running into the issue cancelling an award booking. I only get the option of getting the certificate in the email, and the website simply errors out when I click "confirm".
Will contact reservations when I get a chance probably during the week.
Old Jul 21, 2024, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Agosti
Also running into the issue cancelling an award booking. I only get the option of getting the certificate in the email, and the website simply errors out when I click "confirm".
Will contact reservations when I get a chance probably during the week.
I encountered the same issue so I sent a message to AS to cancel/refund instead of going through the web flow since it errors out.

Miles & Taxes back into my account within 3 days.
Old Jul 21, 2024, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I encountered the same issue so I sent a message to AS to cancel/refund instead of going through the web flow since it errors out.

Miles & Taxes back into my account within 3 days.
Aha, thanks!
The chat agent processed it instantly and miles already posted back on my account.
Old Jul 28, 2024, 10:43 am

I went to cancel a December Malaysia award ticket and received this option to cancel :

Details and restrictions

• Your canceled ticket value of 15,000 miles and $240,000.00 USD will be sent to the email address provided within 7 business days.
  • Book and complete your travel by December 11, 2025.
  • You may apply your canceled ticket value toward a codeshare flight operated by a partner airline.
Yes I tried to cancel under those terms but received an error message
TEDisgone and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jul 28, 2024, 1:43 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by nawlins
I went to cancel a December Malaysia award ticket and received this option to cancel :

Details and restrictions

• Your canceled ticket value of 15,000 miles and $240,000.00 USD will be sent to the email address provided within 7 business days.
  • You may apply your canceled ticket value toward a codeshare flight operated by a partner airline.
Please keep us updated on how long it took AS to process your refund of $240,000.00 USD.
TEDisgone and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jul 30, 2024, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by nawlins

Details and restrictions

Hmm. Still happening! This is a JL redemption refund (computer said "no" to changing the date so I had to cancel and ticket again for the new date).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.