Search

How to spend 10 hours in Sitka?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2024 | 1:52 am
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
How to spend 10 hours in Sitka?

I have planned a day trip to sitka, arriving at 10:30am and leaving at 730pm.

I don't plan to rent a car. Any suggestions to make use of the time while in Sitka.

Any tips on booking a similar trip to Bethel? It seems there is only 1 flight to DLG so it is hard to go without for a day trip.

Also. AS does not serve dutch harbor anymore?

​​​​​
Old Sep 23, 2024 | 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pbd456
I have planned a day trip to sitka, arriving at 10:30am and leaving at 730pm.

I don't plan to rent a car. Any suggestions to make use of the time while in Sitka.

Any tips on booking a similar trip to Bethel? It seems there is only 1 flight to DLG so it is hard to go without for a day trip.

​​​​​
I've had a long layover in Sitka before and although the town is fairly walkable, I would suggest renting a car from the Avis that is right at the airport--10 hours is a long time and probably worth it. This gives you a place to store whatever carry-on you might have as well as some protection from the inevitable rainy weather. I took a taxi from the airport to the Sitka National Historical Park with all the totem poles and after touring the park went to the Russian Bishop's House, then downtown Sitka, and finally ate the the Nugget Restaurant at the airport before flying out. With a car, you could probably drive around an tour some of the outskirts (and stay drier...lol). I believe Nome has a morning and evening flight if you're looking for another Alaska day trip idea.
Old Sep 23, 2024 | 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
With a 10 hour layover I would rent a car. I think you will become bored after a few hours walking around town.
Old Sep 23, 2024 | 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited3M20 Years on Site

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I've had a long layover in Sitka before and although the town is fairly walkable, I would suggest renting a car from the Avis that is right at the airport--10 hours is a long time and probably worth it. This gives you a place to store whatever carry-on you might have as well as some protection from the inevitable rainy weather. I took a taxi from the airport to the Sitka National Historical Park with all the totem poles and after touring the park went to the Russian Bishop's House, then downtown Sitka, and finally ate the the Nugget Restaurant at the airport before flying out. With a car, you could probably drive around an tour some of the outskirts (and stay drier...lol). I believe Nome has a morning and evening flight if you're looking for another Alaska day trip idea.
The larger caveat with Bethel or Nome is to bring an "emergency" bag because there is a statistically not-insignificant chance that you can get stuck, much more so than Sitka.
beckoa likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2024 | 9:38 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Check out the Alaska Raptor Center to view and learn about eagles up close!
Old Sep 23, 2024 | 9:43 am
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

DO you have to prebook the car and how much would it cost? I don't really want to spend much money because I don't have a job. (Tickets are from miles)

I would have to get an international driver license if I want to rent a car... I planned to check my rollerboard upon arrival (and take uncheck the bags when I come back). Google map seems to suggest it is walkable to places around.
Old Sep 23, 2024 | 9:45 am
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The larger caveat with Bethel or Nome is to bring an "emergency" bag because there is a statistically not-insignificant chance that you can get stuck, much more so than Sitka.
I have been nome in 2015 so I don't plan to go back. After sitka, I will be missing only bethel and dillingham among all Alaska airlines destinations in Alaska currently. ( I did a same plane turn around to Adak in 2014).
beckoa likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2024 | 9:45 am
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by John26
Check out the Alaska Raptor Center to view and learn about eagles up close!
It seems walkable from airport....
Just check. It closes on Sat when I will be there.
Old Sep 23, 2024 | 10:29 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Club 49, Silver Medallion, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver

​​​​​
Id do a turn and burn in Bethel. Not a whole lot to see there. Ive done 6 or 7 day trips for work over the years.

Dillingham requires an overnight I believe. Ive done day trips out there when one could take AS one way and PenAir one way.

AS stopped serving DUT like 20 years ago, at which point they contracted with PenAir to operate the route on behalf of AS, so, one was able to still earn miles exactly the same way they were earned on AS. These were operated by Saab 340s and then Saab 200s. Ravn then bought PenAir in 2018 and continued using the 2000s, but after the crash in 2019, they started using their own Dash 8s.

In 2002, Aleutian Airways enters with the Saab 2000. Now, after Ravn pulled out, Aleutian is the only airline that remains serving Dutch.
Old Sep 23, 2024 | 10:37 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, Avis Presidents Club, Life Member VFW Post 10029
The Bethel airport is several miles out of town. There is a car rental place a short walk from the airport as well as taxi service, I believe taxis are a flat rate but I can't recall how much. It is a long walk from the airport and there is not much between the airport and Bethel except a few houses and buildings. I have done day trips to Bethel for work, if memory serves it was ~ 200 dollars for the car rental. Always be prepared for an extended stay as the weather can change suddenly and Alaska ends up canceling. I have been stuck in Bethel and Barrow due to weather over the years. I can't really recommend much to do in Bethel as my trips are work related day trips.
pbd456 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2024 | 12:05 pm
10 Years on Site

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
DO you have to prebook the car and how much would it cost? I don't really want to spend much money because I don't have a job. (Tickets are from miles)

I would have to get an international driver license if I want to rent a car... I planned to check my rollerboard upon arrival (and take uncheck the bags when I come back). Google map seems to suggest it is walkable to places around.
Are you coming from a country that doesn't use English Characters on the DL? Lots of folks think they need an IDL but don't actually. It helps if you include at least hints about your location
Old Sep 23, 2024 | 12:27 pm
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

Hong Kong.
Old Sep 23, 2024 | 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
VERY true....add BRW to that list as well although you can't do a day trip there anymore now that they are down to one flight per day.
Old Sep 23, 2024 | 2:57 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Club 49, Silver Medallion, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
VERY true....add BRW to that list as well although you can't do a day trip there anymore now that they are down to one flight per day.
you can do day trips to BRW on Mondays. Northbound on AS2085 and southbound on AS 50. Total time on the ground just shy of 8 hours.
DCAhome likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2024 | 3:39 pm
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
At least I am not the only person on here who has a penchant for visiting the more obscure AS destinations. My wife and I did an overnight in BRW a few years ago. ADK was a same-day return. We had a few nights in Nome this summer, as well as an overnight in Kotzebue.

Barrow / Utqiagvik was originally intended as just a day trip but COVID put paid to that. When we rebooked the schedule required an overnight stay. Adak was an Avios redemption as cash prices were (and are) very high. Nome was interesting. We saw a couple of the "stars" from Bering Sea Gold while we were there. We also did a road trip out to The Last Train to Nowhere, and drove up Anvil Mountain to see the last surviving White Alice installation.

Kotzebue was meant to be a full 24 hours but after dinner at the hotel and a realisation of just what the town doesn't have to offer we did a same-day change and flew back on the morning flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.