Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage Account Number Formats

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP 14M, UA-1K, AS-MVP Gold, DL-PL, CO-PL, EK-Gold, BA-Gold, HH-D, SPG-PL
Smile

Originally Posted by SwissYankee
my apologies, I should have been more clear.

I have an account number that lookes like this: BTX####.(#### being numbers) Join date was August 15, 1988. Not sure if the "TX" means the state, but that was where I lived back then.

Sometimes AA agents would ask me if I read the number wrong... because apparently most members have numbers that start with one alphabet followed by 6 numbers.

just wondering why my acct number looks like that.
No, TX does not mean the state of Texas. Just happened to be the (alphabet/number combination) advantage numbers being issued during your enrollment period.

Advantage numbers started with all numbers (7), 1234567, then went to first character alphabet and (6) numbers, A123456...2 alphabets and 5 numbers, AA12345, 3 alphabets and 4 numbers, AAA1234 and so on as membership enrollment grew.

Your advantage number combination does coincide with your enrollment date. If you enrolled same date and time and lived anywhere in the world your advantage number still wouldve generated the same number.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
that brought back old memories

the first time I access AA "online" was via Prodigy. back then, it wasn't really the internet, but a closed system operated by IBM/Prodigy. It was such a long times ago, I can't even remember what happened to Prodigy. prior to that, I booked my own reservation via CompuServ, which was completely text based. I wonder how many people here are old enough to remember CompuServ?
Yep.. IBM employees got a discount... or was it free for them? I don't remember paying the bill. My full time computer career with IBM, after 2 internships stared on 8/8/88 when I was hired as a programmer and moved to Austin. I think it was the next year or so I bought a PS2/70 on the IBM Employee Purchase Plan and signed up for Prodigy.
At some point, I remember using EaasySabre quite a bit. I think I was using Compuserve, but I can't remember.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:30 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I wonder how many people here are old enough to remember CompuServ?
I wonder how many used OzCis for Compuserve or Aladdin for Genie. Guess you don't need those products any longer when you're not charged by the minute to be on line. Those were both great products for the 90s.

I didn't know JDiver was on Genie. BowdenJ who pops in here once in a while was on the travel forum there with me. I met him at a Genie event in Houston back around 1992 when we both flew in and we stay in touch.

Didn't Sears share ownership of Prodigy with IBM? I know DHammer53 on the UA forum was very active there. I only had an account for a year or two before I moved to Compuserve which had a pretty decent air travel forum.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:20 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by TigerWould
Advantage numbers started with all numbers (7), 1234567, then went to first character alphabet and (6) numbers, A123456...2 alphabets and 5 numbers, AA12345, 3 alphabets and 4 numbers, AAA1234 and so on as membership enrollment grew.
Annnnn; Member since 10/2/85. When did the change from 7 numbers to a character and 6 numbers occur? The 7 number system would accommodate 9,999,999 individual accounts, assuming 0000000 was unassigned. Did AAdvantage really have that many members before 1985?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 7:07 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Old Oct 7, 2009, 7:50 am

Programs: DL Gold, WN A-List, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Avis 1st
I'm one of the 1981 originals. My account number is all numeric.

I'm still a bit shy of 1,000,000 lifetime miles on AA. I could have made it many times over if I would have used the credit card issued through Citi, but I've been loyal to another brand.

This program got me started with my love affair with freebies.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 7:51 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
that brought back old memories

I booked my own reservation via CompuServ, which was completely text based. I wonder how many people here are old enough to remember CompuServ?
I used to book on Compuserve, too, and thought I had died and gone to heaven when I went from a 1200 baud to a 2400 baud to a 9600 baud modem. (I won't even talk about watching the letters scroll across the screen with a 300 baud modem!) I joined AA in 1982 and my AA# starts with the letter A.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by sbrower
I am old enough that I am all numbers
If I wanted to be mean I'd ask, "you mean they hadn't invented the alphabet yet?"

But I don't want to be mean so I won't ask that.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
I can't remember my CompuServe number, but for some reason I remember the Prodigy one, or Prodigy Classic as it became known later in the 90s, GXJD25A. I remember accessing the service at 2400 baud.

Later, we were really on the cutting edge when my Dad bought an external US Robotics 14.4 modem.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by tom911
I wonder how many used OzCis for Compuserve or Aladdin for Genie. Guess you don't need those products any longer when you're not charged by the minute to be on line. Those were both great products for the 90s.

I didn't know JDiver was on Genie. BowdenJ who pops in here once in a while was on the travel forum there with me. I met him at a Genie event in Houston back around 1992 when we both flew in and we stay in touch.

Didn't Sears share ownership of Prodigy with IBM? I know DHammer53 on the UA forum was very active there. I only had an account for a year or two before I moved to Compuserve which had a pretty decent air travel forum.
I hosted a "chat" on Genie - can't remember the topic but it was in the Travel forum.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:09 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
I joined in '84 and my AAdvantage number starts with Hxxxxxx. I too remember using C-Serve to get to Eaasy Sabre, and then Prodigy. I also remember that C-Serve used to have access to a TW booking product (PARS?) which I loved, because you could show the itinerary ticketed so it wouldn't cancel out.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ak333
I joined in '84 and my AAdvantage number starts with Hxxxxxx. I too remember using C-Serve to get to Eaasy Sabre, and then Prodigy. I also remember that C-Serve used to have access to a TW booking product (PARS?) which I loved, because you could show the itinerary ticketed so it wouldn't cancel out.
Ditto on everything (are we clones?), but my account that I opened in November '84 starts with Pxxxxxx.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:44 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by PCMflyer
I'm one of the 1981 originals. My account number is all numeric.
:sigh: Makes me a bit disappointed that dstan, Sr. lost his all-numeric account number when he somehow ended up with a second, alphanumeric account and merged them into the latter.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
March, 1992. XDD****
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
1997 here: ###X#X#

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.