Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AA-Flyer-SAN
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

American Airlines is generally willing to refund price differences when a price drops - but one must pay any change fees associated with the fare they purchased, meaning discounted fares may require a change fee of $150 - or more ($300-$500 for international legs). Please read over AA's Rollovers - Rules For Rollover To Lower Fare for rules, restrictions.

If you are not sure of the terms and conditions of the specific fare you purchased, you may determine those by going to www.refunds.aa.com and entering your ticket number (begins with "001"), before you request an actual refund. You may also use the site to find your ticket number if purchased within the last 13 months.
Print Wikipost

AA Get A Refund After An Airfare Price drop (fare rollover)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012 | 10:48 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by tom911
Yes, it was called a rollover.
Thanks for the hint... Google to the rescue:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...lower_fare.jsp
For tickets issued prior to December 19, 2004:
The customer may receive a refund by accepting a travel voucher or MCO for the difference between the two fares to be issued in the passenger's name. No change fee applies.

For tickets issued on/after December 19, 2004:
The customer will receive the difference in the fares less the applicable change fee in the form of an AA travel voucher or MCO.
<snip>
Travel Agencies and Rollovers:

For both Domestic and International itineraries, Travel Agents to indicate “rollover” in the ticket endorsement box. Travel Agents may issue a non-refundable MCO for the residual amount (applicable fees apply for the exchange and may be deducted from the residual). The MCO must be made payable to AA for transportation only and show "non-refundable, valid AA only" in the endorsement box.
Bolding mine.

In the case of the BZE anecdote, I wonder if the ticket was flexible/refundable or effectively had a $0 change fee.
Old Jun 7, 2012 | 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by janetdoe
Thanks for the hint... Google to the rescue:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...lower_fare.jsp

Bolding mine.

In the case of the BZE anecdote, I wonder if the ticket was flexible/refundable or effectively had a $0 change fee.
If it is refundable ticket that is simple - simply refund and rebook - the overpayment goes back to the original form of payment.

Without any more details I would tend to go with brp's conclusion - this is a one-off case.
Old Apr 17, 2013 | 11:40 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
refund after AA fare drop? (<$150)

I'm pretty sure the answer to this will be no, based on this thread from last year, but ...

I have a reservation (x2 pax) on a one-way flight MIA-SEA, fare = $271, booked several days ago on AA.com with my CitiAAdvantage VISA. I just noticed that the fare has dropped to $169. Is there any way for me to get any sort of refund or compensation from AA?

Thanks for any info, even if just to confirm my negative expectation...

-huge
Old Apr 17, 2013 | 11:51 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
This is one good reason for buying Choice Essential.
Old Apr 18, 2013 | 12:15 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by huge
Confirmed, sorry.
Old Apr 18, 2013 | 1:00 am
10 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Since we do not expect an airline to charge more when the fare rises why should we think that a refund is due when the fare drops?
Old Apr 18, 2013 | 5:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
In the past I have had to pay $150 reticketing fee. So, if the savings was significant then I got money, but if not then nada.
Old Apr 18, 2013 | 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Since we do not expect an airline to charge more when the fare rises why should we think that a refund is due when the fare drops?
Lots of U.S. retailers offer price guarantees. The OP's question isn't unreasonable.
Old Apr 18, 2013 | 8:51 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I'm pretty sure the answer to this will be no, based on this thread from last year, but ...
And yet a new thread was needed to ask the same question, so as to be sure to fragment information and make it harder to find the answer in the future. Well done ^

Cheers.
Old Apr 18, 2013 | 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Lots of U.S. retailers offer price guarantees. The OP's question isn't unreasonable.
I agree with 3Cforme. It shows that the same product is being sold for cheaper by the same company, so why should some pay higher than others. In reality, we know the airline business does not work on a fixed markup/margin basis. However, if they did, it would be interesting to see how the climate would change among frequent flyers. I think most airlines would move towards the DL model where $$ becomes the criteria for elite status.
Old Apr 18, 2013 | 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
For the products bought several days ago????
Can you give me one example that U.S. retailer refunds the price difference when we find the product sold at cheaper price several days after we buy the product?
Old Apr 18, 2013 | 9:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
You are entitled to the full difference - minus the change fee in the fare you purchased, of course.

I have a reservation (x2 pax) on a one-way flight MIA-SEA, fare = $271, booked several days ago on AA.com with my CitiAAdvantage VISA. I just noticed that the fare has dropped to $169. Is there any way for me to get any sort of refund or compensation from AA?

-huge

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 18, 2013 at 10:23 am
Old Apr 18, 2013 | 9:37 am
Original Member
20 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
AA Get A Refund After An Airfare Price drop

It is called a rollover. AA charges $150 to process it.

FYI B6 does it for free and this can be accomplished online.
Old Apr 18, 2013 | 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
Can you give me one example that U.S. retailer refunds the price difference when we find the product sold at cheaper price several days after we buy the product?
Some retailers do within a time period like BestBuy

Online: If you purchase your HDTV at BestBuy.com and the price on our Web site is reduced within 30 days, we'll refund you 100% of the difference
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense for airlines as their entire business model is based on demand- based pricing.
Old Apr 18, 2013 | 10:21 am
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
The answer is yes if applied to a retailer--Nordstrom is one example. But a more analogous question would be whether I could get a refund for a ticket to an event such as a Broadway show or sporting event if the price went down--the answer would generally be no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.