Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Agent Overrides Upgrade Priority

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PL, DL FO, SPG PL, AmEx PL
Gate Agent Overrides Upgrade Priority

Yesterday was the first for me and I wanted to share my experience with you all and ask for suggestions regarding next steps. Maybe, I was simply out of luck.

My wife and I were on a flight from MIA-BOS yesterday (Fri, Jan 3). Given the storm in NE, I knew that flights would be packed with all the cancellations, and was anticipating our chance for an upgrade were slim to none, but requested it regardless and were #2 & #3 on the list out of 12. I did not have any information regarding availability at that time.

Roughly 15 min prior to boarding the gate agent calls the #1 person in line and a 5-7 conversation ensues. I see a number of boarding passes and the individual walks away. I am called next and asked whether I would be willing to split from my wife should only one seat become available. As I was giving her my answer, I look up on the screen and notice that #5 & #6 were cleared ahead of us and I ask politely if my understanding is correct. I also confirm that 3 seats were available to start. The gate agent proceeds to tell me that the computer is wrong and that she did what she felt was right, offering to show me the screen, that listed #1 as a "VIPIP" and #5 and #6 had the same last name as #1. She kept using code language to try to explain what had happened and told me that she will fix the list in front of me (she tried doing this for 15 min unsuccessfully and I felt so bad for all the other passengers including 61 standbys). She called her supervisor so he could explain to me what happened, who showed up, yelled at me for standing next to her and looking at the screen (which I was invited to do), and simply said that he will get to it in a bit. Long-story-short, almost everyone was on board and the gate agent told me that I should board and that she will, and I quote "bring me the updated list on the flight before departure so I can see that she was right" - let's just say that never happened. Prior to boarding, I attempted to speak to the supervisor, who was clearing standbys on another computer, who literally said "What?" without looking up as I approached. As I proceeded to explain to him what happened, he looked at me and said and I quote again "You have two options; (1) get on the plane and take your seat or (2) wait for me to close this flight, and then I will explain to you anything that needs explaining." I asked for his card, which he did not have, then I asked him to write his name down for me, and he said "I don't write, but you can if you want." I handed him a paper, he refused and kept saying "I don't write, but you can, see here is my ID, it is really SIMPLE". Overall, he was more than unhelpful--he was outright rude and disrespectful. We boarded and departed with a slight delay.

Upon arrival to BOS, I went to Admirals Club to discuss this issue with the AC agent, and to inquire about any recourse. She was surprised by the incident, immediately pulled up the flight docs, and confirmed that gate agent was in error and profusely apologized. She even printed out the passenger manifest and showed me exactly how the gate agent's actions were incorrect, but she would not provide us a copy due to privacy. Her colleague printed out the customer service numbers for me.

Bottom line:

1. The gate agent made a clear mistake (confirmed by AC agent in Boston).
2. In many years as an elite FF, it was by far the worst customer service experience; I have never been treated so poorly and with such disrespect by both the gate agent and her supervisor.
3. I have the names of the gate agent and her supervisor; please let me know if there is anyone at AA who cares about these individuals' actions and would actually be willing to do something about it.

Thank you all!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by oggy2001
1. The gate agent made a clear mistake (confirmed by AC agent in Boston).
2. In many years as an elite FF, it was by far the worst customer service experience; I have never been treated so poorly and with such disrespect by both the gate agent and her supervisor.
3. I have the names of the gate agent and her supervisor; please let me know if there is anyone at AA who cares about these individuals' actions and would actually be willing to do something about it.

Thank you all!
Definitely email them to complain, but edit your complaint to make it more succinct. Also, do not mention anything about the AC. You don't want to get the AAngel in trouble for helping you (unless you want to prove the old adage that no good deed goes unpunished). The complaint stands on its own anyway.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PL, DL FO, SPG PL, AmEx PL
Thanks for your feedback. I will take it into account as I file the formal complaint.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
My wife and I were upgraded around t-6 on an ORD-MSY Republic flight. When we got to the gate the agent said we "weren't on the upgrade list and didn't have assigned seats on the flight". I was pretty positive the GA took us off the upgrade list. I emailed AA about the issue and received a $300 voucher.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:27 pm

It sounds like she cleared #5 and #6 because they were using eVIPs. What flight # was this? There are those on this forum who can check the list for you and let you know what happened.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
sounds like to me she was trying to get you to go away so she could continue on with her job of getting the flight prepared for takeoff, standbys cleared, and the manifests done. 15 mins seems an excessively long amount of time querying this issue. Sounds like she cleared a party of 3 prior to your party of 2. Bit off policy, but Ive seen this done quite often.

With that said, Id completely complain to AA via their web form to get some compensation. As long as you're not marked as a frequent complainer, I would expect you to get some free vouchers sent your way.

Good luck
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:48 pm

The gate agent proceeds to tell me that the computer is wrong and that she did what she felt was right, offering to show me the screen, that listed #1 as a "VIPIP" and #5 and #6 had the same last name as #1.
The PALL List thread doesn't say anything about "VIPIP." Could it have been VIP1T? How were number 5 and 6 listed? Here is the canonical source for PALL list info: http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...90&postcount=7

I've read stories about passengers on the same reservation as an EXP who do not show up in the correct order on the upgrade list. I'm not sure we have enough information here to confirm that the GA did anything wrong.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Send an email, but also call the AA PLAT number during weekday work hours and immediately ask to transfer to Customer Relations.

Unacceptable service.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by _kurt
The PALL List thread doesn't say anything about "VIPIP." Could it have been VIP1T? How were number 5 and 6 listed? Here is the canonical source for PALL list info: http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...90&postcount=7

I've read stories about passengers on the same reservation as an EXP who do not show up in the correct order on the upgrade list. I'm not sure we have enough information here to confirm that the GA did anything wrong.
Well, if there are two additional pax on the same reservation as an EXP, only the one listed as the EXP's companion should be upgraded with the EXP based on the EXP status. Upgrading a GLD or PLT just because they are on the same PNR is a no-no.

However, upgrading lower status pax because of their particular upgrade instrument is a murkier issue, and not one which I've seen a definitive policy on. It would seem perfectly fair to upgrade an EXP's two GLD companions if those two GLDs were upgraded using SWU. In my opinion, the lowest status traveler using miles/SWU for an upgrade should trump the highest ranking traveler using stickers/free EXP upgrades.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
It would seem perfectly fair to upgrade an EXP's two GLD companions if those two GLDs were upgraded using SWU.
That is why I asked about the priority of numbers 5 and 6. If they were VIP3, for example, they would have been listed below the OP who was an UPG2. But if they were on the same reservation, perhaps they deserved to be listed as VIP1.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP should rewrite the complaint into three short declarative sentences. Much more likely to get positive action when you go straight to the issue. Who said what doesn't matter. OP was either higher up the list or not.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:15 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
In my opinion, the lowest status traveler using miles/SWU for an upgrade should trump the highest ranking traveler using stickers/free EXP upgrades.
What's important here is that our opinions are irrelevant, and I had the same opinion/viewpoint as you, until recently. It was confirmed in another thread somewhere (maybe more than one) by folks with access to these lists that, once it gets to the airport list, the instrument is irrelevant in the processing. Only status, request time and the somewhat murkier "linkage." If it had been a sticker request, the #1 EXP would only have been able to "link" one companion. I think that we can conclude that. If they were SWU, perhaps it is permissible to "link" more than one.

What has also been confirmed elsewhere (although those were more anecdotal accounts, IIRC, and not confirmed by those "in the know") is that, while the linked companions are shown further down the list, they are actually supposed to be processed at the same level. If that is the case, and if they were linked with SWU (and this may be elsewhere in the thread), then the actions were acceptable and would seem to be by policy.

Cheers.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by brp
What has also been confirmed elsewhere (although those were more anecdotal accounts, IIRC, and not confirmed by those "in the know") is that, while the linked companions are shown further down the list, they are actually supposed to be processed at the same level. If that is the case, and if they were linked with SWU (and this may be elsewhere in the thread), then the actions were acceptable and would seem to be by policy.

Cheers.
A policy that constitutes poor customer service, and that ought to result in compensation imo. No sane person would design an upgrade list that results in #1, #5, and #6 being upgraded instead of #1, #2, and #3.

Of course, no sane person designed AA's system. It was designed by accountants, wasn't it?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:26 pm

And there's still the issues of the very rude supervisor who basically told OP to board now or pound sand.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:28 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
When you factor in the cancellation of various other flights, it changes thing dramatically. What if someone was confirmed in Paid First on an earlier flight which was cancelled? Regardless of what the Upgrade List shows, that person should get first dibs on any upgrade. Good gate agents will make note of that fact and do the right thing. Crummy gate agents will get distracted by hollering passengers, buckle under to pressure and do the wrong thing. It sounds to me like you had a good gate agent.
My wife and I were on a flight from MIA-BOS yesterday (Fri, Jan 3). Given the storm in NE, I knew that flights would be packed with all the cancellations, and was anticipating our chance for an upgrade were slim to none, but requested it regardless and were #2 & #3 on the list out of 12.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.