Wiki Posts
Search

SWU balance negative

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
SWU balance negative

I am on an exp challenge and will meet the requirements for 25k on my next flight in a couple if weeks. When I was on the phone with exp desk a gent informed me that I could go negative on swu upgrades if I had all of my flights booked showing I would meet the requirement. He processed the upgrades for myself and companion on the outbound flight and wait listed us on the return flight. Space finally opened up and I aa called me to inform me I didn't have any swu's and that I was actually negative which the don't allow. So was the first agent correct or is the rule you never go negative.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The second agent is correct. There are times when you'll have a negative SWU balance though, its happened twice to me. Sometimes AAgents forget to pull the certs or the system doesn't queue the PNR properly to be processed for upgrades. However, AAgents are not supposed to WL for upgrades for more segments than you have SWUs in your account.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
As always YMMV so if you should happen to find a generous AAgent anything can happen.

I too have had my account go negative due to an AA foul up. I was gifted an SWU by an EXP and it wasn't processed properly. I was upgraded on the flight and didn't know anything was wrong. As a PLT I did not see SWU balances, at least if they are negative. Two years later when I finally make EXP myself, I looked at my SWU account and it showed one used right of the bat. Called AA and was told I was upgraded but did not have any SWUs in my account so they are taking one now. Took several calls and a very understanding EXP agent to fix, AAudit staff was not so understanding and voided all attempts by the EXP agent to correct the error. Finally she just issued a new SWU and all was well with the world.

Good luck in getting your flights upgraded before the SWUs post. Just remember asking nicely can go a long way.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Ok thanks for the quick response, will consider myself lucky on the outbound. Hopefully will clear with stickers, no seats showing available yet. HNL-ORD 1/5.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The first AAgent was probably rather more experienced and has been around longer as this is something they used to do as a courtesy, especially with new members.

The 2nd AAgent was of course correct as per current practice and should not be criticized for saying 'no'.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Jay00848
Ok thanks for the quick response, will consider myself lucky on the outbound. Hopefully will clear with stickers, no seats showing available yet. HNL-ORD 1/5.
Did you try asking another agent while there was still space for the other flight?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:37 am
Original Poster

The agent that said no put a comment in the record so basically after that no agent was going to go against her.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Jay00848
The agent that said no put a comment in the record so basically after that no agent was going to go against her.
Yes. But from my experience the AAgents do not read the notes in the mormal corse of action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.