Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Flight Attendant Uniform 'standards'?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
AA Flight Attendant Uniform 'standards'?

I know that the 'requirements' for Flight Attendant Uniforms have been a bit 'relaxed' lately (ok in summer I can see the point) and many FAs have several changes of clothes on long flights for work/sleep etc.

But I was a bit shocked today on a short ORD-MSP MD80 flight.

OK .. this is a comment about a male Flight Attendant not a female Flight Attendant. But the same 'standards' should apply to both!

The male FA had NO tie on (I can accept a tie and shirt that has been loosened to make working a bit more comfortable). He was working Coach on the flight (definately not a dead-header). I can accept the FAs who put their tie into their shirt when doing meal service .. but NO tie??

The male FA had the shirt unbottoned I think two buttons .. and exposed a religious symbol on a chain around his neck. It also exposed more chest hair than I cared to see (it may have been three buttons open).

There was NO name badge on.

There were no 'wings' or really anything else to signify that this person was a FA (other than the epiliets on the sleaves).

I think he also had his sleaves rolled quite far up ...

It looked like I was flying SouthWest Airlines!!

WAY TOOO CASUAL for my tastes .. is there a standard requirement for FAs?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JGR01
I know that the 'requirements' for Flight Attendant Uniforms have been a bit 'relaxed' lately (ok in summer I can see the point) and many FAs have several changes of clothes on long flights for work/sleep etc.

But I was a bit shocked today on a short ORD-MSP MD80 flight.

OK .. this is a comment about a male Flight Attendant not a female Flight Attendant. But the same 'standards' should apply to both!

The male FA had NO tie on (I can accept a tie and shirt that has been loosened to make working a bit more comfortable). He was working Coach on the flight (definately not a dead-header). I can accept the FAs who put their tie into their shirt when doing meal service .. but NO tie??

The male FA had the shirt unbottoned I think two buttons .. and exposed a religious symbol on a chain around his neck. It also exposed more chest hair than I cared to see (it may have been three buttons open).

There was NO name badge on.

There were no 'wings' or really anything else to signify that this person was a FA (other than the epiliets on the sleaves).

I think he also had his sleaves rolled quite far up ...

It looked like I was flying SouthWest Airlines!!

WAY TOOO CASUAL for my tastes .. is there a standard requirement for FAs?
There are standards but too few supervisors to enforce. FAs are not likely to confront another. A comment to the #1 would probably be in order in this case or if it really bothered you, a note to Consumer Affairs. Probably not worth the time in my book at least.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Could it have been someone in training? I recently was on an MQ flight where there were 2 FAs--a woman in standard uniform and a guy with no tie or wings. The woman sat in the rear jumpseat, while the guy sat up front, made all the PA announcements, and did the drink service.

At one point, I went to the lav, and I asked the lady FA what the deal was. She said, "Oh, he's in training, and I'm a supervisor observing him."

Does anyone know if AA is hiring FAs again? Or calling more ex-TWA back from furlough? Anyone? Gordon?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Could it have been someone in training? I recently was on an MQ flight where there were 2 FAs--a woman in standard uniform and a guy with no tie or wings. The woman sat in the rear jumpseat, while the guy sat up front, made all the PA announcements, and did the drink service.

At one point, I went to the lav, and I asked the lady FA what the deal was. She said, "Oh, he's in training, and I'm a supervisor observing him."

Does anyone know if AA is hiring FAs again? Or calling more ex-TWA back from furlough? Anyone? Gordon?
They are not hiring for just the reason you stated, they would have to take back TW FAs which is not what AA wants to do. AA is actually running short staff in some cases.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:57 pm
ORD
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA53
They are not hiring for just the reason you stated, they would have to take back TW FAs which is not what AA wants to do. AA is actually running short staff in some cases.
The TWA furlough list is now starting to be eliminated. Those in the first rounds furloughs are being dropped from teh recall list.

From the APFA Hotline for Thursday, September 28, 2006.

APFA is extremely disappointed to announce that on Sunday, October 1st, 867 American Airlines Flight Attendants will be removed from the System seniority list due to the five-year recall language in Article 16. On October 7th, 289 more of our members will be removed from that list after having been out on furlough since October of 2001. This is the first time in the history of APFA or American Airlines for that matter, that we have seen furloughs hit the five year mark which is the industry standard in the majority of FA Contracts. To date, the Company is not willing to discuss the provisions of extending recall rights outside of opening up our entire contract and subjecting all our members to even more concessions. APFA continues to seek a solution for extending recall rights for all our members outside of section 6 contract negotiations – negotiations that are not scheduled to commence until and in accordance with the amendable date of 2008. AA has given APFA no indication of recalls in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by ORD; Oct 2, 2006 at 10:29 pm
Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by ORD
The TWA furlough list is now gone.
Thanks for the update. Having endured TWA for many years in STL, I can say what may be sad news for APFA is good news for the traveling public. These people were not good for TWA or AA and most AA employees (wife included) did not want them back.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
I've seen this on 2 or 3 flights in the last year too - male F/As, who did not appear to be trainees, without ties. Looks sloppy and unprofessional, but I wouldn't waste a letter on it.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:17 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by ORD
The TWA furlough list is now gone.
The most junior of the TWA F/As have not dropped off of the furlough list. However, the last TWA F/A furloughed was in 2003, so there is another 18-24 months before they all drop off the furlough list.

Will AA be able to make it until then without a recall? Not sure. Depends on if they keep dropping aircraft or not.

Greg
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:23 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DFWFlier
I've seen this on 2 or 3 flights in the last year too - male F/As, who did not appear to be trainees, without ties. Looks sloppy and unprofessional, but I wouldn't waste a letter on it.
On a couple of flights yesterday...wasn't in training 'tho. And the female F/A couldn't have been his supervisor....or if she was, it was no example to be following. I'm sure going tie-less is more comfortable, but looks wierd with the shirt thing. (nothing I'd be storming to AA about at the moment, unless it's a new "industry standard"). If they're gonna' go for something more causal, than something that's not supposed to have a tie with it would work.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:30 pm
ORD
Suspended

Originally Posted by GregL
The most junior of the TWA F/As have not dropped off of the furlough list. However, the last TWA F/A furloughed was in 2003, so there is another 18-24 months before they all drop off the furlough list.

Will AA be able to make it until then without a recall? Not sure. Depends on if they keep dropping aircraft or not.

Greg
Edited my post to reflect this clarification/correction of the facts.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:36 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Can't speak to the STL based crews. The few times I flew TWA metal crewed by TWA folk they were always JFK based (or formerly JFK based) and were some of the best crews I've ever flown with domestically.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Along with about 3000 ex-TWA flight attendants on furlough, the list also contains about 900 nAAtive FAs hired by AA in 2001 who will be jettisoned as well.

I expected that AA would have to initiate some recalls by now, but with 30 MD-80s parked this year and the upcoming lease returns of 19 ex-TWA 757s, maybe AA can limp along without recalls for another year or two. If recalls of FAs or pilots appear necessary, all AA has to do is park another several dozen MD-80s and problem solved for a few more months.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
[...]problem solved for a few more months.
Hmmm...if they only paid on merit or on tasks performed/responsibility instead of "seniority" (like most other jobs), the "problem" would be nonexistant.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 1:28 am

Yes, there is a uniform standard.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by JGR01
I can accept the FAs who put their tie into their shirt when doing meal service .. but NO tie??
OMG, no tie. You must have been dying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.