Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:18 pm
LRD

Programs: AA 6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
I have (what appears to be) a legitimate offer to "join the AAirpass program before November 30, 2010 to receive a $1,000 discount off the regular $10,000 price of a one-year membership."

I know nothing of the Airpass program... I'm just passing on what I found.

For serious inquiries, please PM me.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:46 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Targeted ?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 3:53 pm
LRD

Programs: AA 6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Nope.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:29 pm

Normally travel domestically on my aairpass - so haven't encountered this before:

If I book Instant Upgrade on a 3-cabin international flight, does that upgrade me to business or first (assume business)? If business, can I apply a SWU to get into first, or is that considered double dipping?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by newaroundhere
Normally travel domestically on my aairpass - so haven't encountered this before:

If I book Instant Upgrade on a 3-cabin international flight, does that upgrade me to business or first (assume business)? If business, can I apply a SWU to get into first, or is that considered double dipping?
Assuming the "instant upgrade" books you into I class on a three class flight, you should be able to use an swu (or miles) to upgrade to first (assuming swu upgrade inventory, A, is available). This was a change in policy about 18 months ago, allowing upgrades off of I fares.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I'm considering buying a corporate aairpass for my company.

Three questions:
What happens to unused miles at the end of a contract period? Can i roll them forward if I renew for next year?

What if we run out of miles during the year? Can we re-load points mid-way through ... And if so, are they good for 12 months from date of purchase, or only till the end of the year?

Finally, are aairpass points good for travel on AA-marketed codeshare flight operated by a different carrier (ie: QF metal, but I buy a ticket from AA with AA flight numbers)?

Any thoughts on these would be appreciated.

(I did some searches using a few seemingly logical words but didn't turn anything up that answered these.)
Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA 11MM/EXP/Aairpass, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by NYBanker
What happens to unused miles at the end of a contract period? Can i roll them forward if I renew for next year?
They rollover if you renew your Aairpass.

What if we run out of miles during the year? Can we re-load points mid-way through ... And if so, are they good for 12 months from date of purchase, or only till the end of the year?
You can buy more miles. If I recall correctly, if you buy less than $5000 worth of miles, you pay an extra 5%. If you buy more $5000 or more, the rate is your contract rate. The extra miles are only good until the contract expires (unless you renew, then they rollover).

Finally, are aairpass points good for travel on AA-marketed codeshare flight operated by a different carrier (ie: QF metal, but I buy a ticket from AA with AA flight numbers)?
Nope, AA metal only.
Old May 27, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Seeking advice re Aairpass pros and cons

Dear fellow flyers,

My husband and I fly AA only, and we fly only for personal reasons, mostly between NYC and RDU to our second home there.

DH is Aairpass member (and CK); I am not. DH is pushing for me to become Aairpass member rather than purchase my trips as needed at lowest fares possible. My schedule does not often require my changing of plans or flying suddenly last minute.

I feel that we cannot afford to cough up another $10K to spend on airfare in advance. I wager I could purchase my 6 to 8 RTs for $2400 or less per year. He argues that we could pool our Aairpass miles and he could use what I do not (no CK for me then, which does not matter to me).

I was very resistant when I heard this crazy idea of simply handing American $20K per year, if all I really need spend is more like $13K for the two of us.

Anyone out there have a few minutes to voice an opinion or offer some questions I should be asking of myself to further determine if my getting Aairpass is nuts or possibly quite a good idea?

Thank you very much.

Lana
Old May 27, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: AA GLD, SPG GLD
Can't he buy your ticket with his Aairpass account when you travel together? He would accrue double the miles too!

Unless you have a significant amount of travel on your own or with additional companions (so you can buy their ticket too) it doesn't make sense to get another Aairpass account.

I'm not 100% clear on the terms of the program, but don't you also have to buy refundable tickets all the time too?
Old May 27, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: AA:1MM
unless we are missing some detail about your travel arrangements, then no it does not make sense.
Old May 27, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
We fly separately

Oops,

I failed to say that we almost never travel together, due to separate work-week schedules.

Lana

Last edited by Lana537; May 27, 2011 at 7:12 pm
Old May 27, 2011, 8:50 am

Well there is a simple solution. Audit how much you've spent on AA in a year. If it is less than 10k it isn't worth the $.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by LGAoverJFK
Well there is a simple solution. Audit how much you've spent on AA in a year. If it is less than 10k it isn't worth the $.
Depending on how this couple values the extra benefits of AAirpass, the breakeven might be a little less than $10,000.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
Depending on how this couple values the extra benefits of AAirpass, the breakeven might be a little less than $10,000.
But the husband already has Aairpass. I can't imagine those additional benefits (which I will admit I don't know well) are good enough that they would both get the full use out of them above and beyond what they are already getting by virtue of the Aairpass membership they already have.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:50 am

This is really a black and white math question. JFK-RDU is 426 miles. With AAirpass - the Plan AAhead (7 day advance) - would be 135% of actual mileage or 587 miles debited for each ONE WAY. 587 X .4 = $234.80 or $466 + taxes r/t. If:

a) You are flying fewer than 20ish r/ts per year
b) Your average r/t fare is less than $466

it does not make sense to do AAirpass. If you are close to 20 r/ts per year and/or your average fare is greater than $466, add in the benefits and it might make sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.