Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
Does your company have an AirPass contract? If so, it just sets the fare to a fixed rate as set by your company's AirPass contract. For you as a flyer, there will be no difference in benefits or experience.
Not quite correct. You should get Group 4 boarding (along with Gold), free food for sale item, and alcohol. All of that should be regardless of whether it's a regular ticket or Airpass (to be eligible for an Airpass ticket, you would have to sign up through your company for member in the company's Airpass contract).
BlatheringPenguin likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MGW2000
Not quite correct. You should get Group 4 boarding (along with Gold), free food for sale item, and alcohol. All of that should be regardless of whether it's a regular ticket or Airpass (to be eligible for an Airpass ticket, you would have to sign up through your company for member in the company's Airpass contract).
Thanks for the help you two, new company so still learning the ropes, although Group 4 isn't too helpful as a Platinum.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:16 am

thanks, I forgot about those!
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER
So I guess the crux of my question is, what does the AirPass entail? And does it make it worth flying AA over DL's A220?
Umm, isn't the biggest benefit of an Airpass ticket that you get an Y-UP and sit in domestic F? It certainly is whenever I fly on one...

As a member of the company Airpass contract you also get Admirals Club access.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
Originally Posted by arlflyer
As a member of the company Airpass contract you also get Admirals Club access.
That’s contract to contract. Ours (30,000+ employee company) does not.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:40 am

That’s contract to contract. Ours (30,000+ employee company) does not.
Interesting. The main Airpass page states it as a benefit (not contingent on anything) and I've never heard of one not having it included. But, as they say, anything is negotiable! I thank your employer for not crowding the ACs with 30,000 additional members.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:47 am

It will be interesting to see if AirPass starts offering any sort of contract extensions or incentives to renew. I'm seeing a lot of people's travel get drastically cut back, for at least 3-6 months, but potentially for the remainder of the calendar year. (& just to note that AirPass is a way that AA gets cash upfront)
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
A poorly timed airpass rate increase.

An airpass sale with discounted rates should bring a good amount of cash in. Flight prices will likely be depressed for the next few months and into summer (traditionally quiet business travel time). Discounts need to be substantial to work, or tied to other perks (extending unused balances or some short term bonus credits that expire in September).

This would be a wonderful time to reoffer a lifetime airpass. Maybe not as generous as previous iterations but maybe a fixed amount of credits each year for your lifetime.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: 10 MM + 2013, AA EXP,Lifetime AC ,Crown Room, Red Carpet,USAIR CLUB ,Hertz Plat, Hilton Dia, GS +++
New Air Pass user

While I have been with AA since the beginning of the Advantage program (all numbers Advantage program) - at the end of last year - given my projected flying needs in 2020 - Airpass made good sense for a numbre of reasons.

I purchased 1st week in Feb, EXP level, also thinking at the time II may need to top up $ once or twice during the contract year. I'm writing from Santa Monica, Ca not New Zealand where I should be - with a return from SYD next week. I can almost see both nations from my beach (or is that Catalina?). I have not a clue when I'll travel international again - my domestic flying is coast to coast and I can control the need.

I've canceled 3 Internatonal r/t with Y-Ups and one JFK trip.

Questions, I realize that most require a best guess based on Airpass experience:

Does the new rate chart apply to those who signed up prior to the start date?

Will AA extend the expire date based on such limited ablity to use?

If they extend- will status extend with it?

Will the SWU's also extend.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Cannonball Run
While I have been with AA since the beginning of the Advantage program (all numbers Advantage program) - at the end of last year - given my projected flying needs in 2020 - Airpass made good sense for a numbre of reasons.

I purchased 1st week in Feb, EXP level, also thinking at the time II may need to top up $ once or twice during the contract year. I'm writing from Santa Monica, Ca not New Zealand where I should be - with a return from SYD next week. I can almost see both nations from my beach (or is that Catalina?). I have not a clue when I'll travel international again - my domestic flying is coast to coast and I can control the need.

I've canceled 3 Internatonal r/t with Y-Ups and one JFK trip.

Questions, I realize that most require a best guess based on Airpass experience:

At this point everyone is operating in completely uncharted waters; there really is no precedence for what is happening here.

Wouldn't it be easier and more accurate to simply call AirPass and pose these questions to directly to them?

Regards
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by Cannonball Run

I signed my Airpass contract 3/15/20, the day before the new rates went into effect.

I was sure to insist that the old rate chart was used, and I verified it was used, in my contract. So I have the old rate chart. I'm not sure what happened around that time if you didn't check.

So my contract would have expired 3/15/21, but last week, I was contacted by my rep, and it was extended without my request three months to 6/17/21. Funds' validity, status and SWU's were all extended to 6/17/21 without my requesting. It all shows as such on aa.com already.

I think that answers all your questions? Oh, this was a $60K CK (individual) contract.

-BlooJoo

Last edited by BlooJoo; Mar 28, 2020 at 10:22 am
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, United Silver
So... just got an email from American saying this:
Elite status earned through AirPass contracts will maintain their current expiration. For customers interested in extending their AirPass contract, or have concerns about unused funds, may contact AirPass customer service for available options.
But... same as BlooJoo, my rep told me 6/17
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by goldtiger
So... just got an email from American saying this:

But... same as BlooJoo, my rep told me 6/17
This is really annoying, considering the profitability margins of Airpass vs. non-Airpass.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
This is really annoying, considering the profitability margins of Airpass vs. non-Airpass.
Yeah exactly. My AA account still shows a March expiration next year for CK. Not too happy about this
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by goldtiger
Yeah exactly. My AA account still shows a March expiration next year for CK. Not too happy about this
Not extended 3 months?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.