Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2005, 4:53 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Jakebeth
But, the AAirpass gets assigned to a specific person and is otherwise nontransferrable? -
I believe that it may be pooled - I work at the above referrenced global investment bank - a virtually everyone has one.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 9:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mktozd
I believe that it may be pooled - I work at the above referrenced global investment bank - a virtually everyone has one.
Airpass mileage is pooled at large companies but every traveler must have his/her own card. Unless your company is BIG (over 3-4 Million in revenue), you arne't going to get a discount. I have a friend who has one (his company spends 30 million annually on AA) and they do receive a substantial discount). They also have over 1000 people using the Airpass. Check pricing, its good on some flights, especially short haul. I use mine for convenience as I never book ahead since my schedule is unpredictable. It also gets premium service in AC and elsewhere.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mktozd
I used to work at this bank too (if there is only one that has AAirpass), and, yes, everyone had one.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
I could see it being worth signing up for even for a specific trip. Let's say I wanted to do two tix in F from JFK-LHR. that is roughly 6500 miles. So, multiply that by 1.5, and you get 9750. Round that to 10k, and multiply by the $.40 you pay for a miles, and you get right about four grand. If you have two tickets, you will pay about eight grand. So, the two of you have just traveled in F for less than the price of one purchased F ticket. And, you still have about 5k miles left in your AAirpass account for some other trip. If you have a dedicated purpose, it's a great deal. IIRC, you will also get 1.5X6500milesX2=almost 20k miles (and that many eqp?).
Old Aug 21, 2005, 11:54 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by AA53
I've never been turned down asking for an award ticket using regular miles if there was a seat. I do find the service, even as an EXP, to be top notch. I see no downside to Airpass if you pay for premium tickets.
Does this mean you call the AAirpass number for all your service requests, or do you just mean that the appearance of **AAirpass Customer** in your AA file gets you better service?
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
I used to work at this bank too (if there is only one that has AAirpass), and, yes, everyone had one.
It's not just one. I know of at least two and suspect more.

Interesting thing is, some pay for the AC perk, while others don't. Last time I was in the airport, I asked about it (knowing ours doesn't pay). Showed the aairpass ticket, agent said 'depends on if your company signed up for club membership,' then pulled up a screen w/ a list, and asked which I was with.

I told the truth, and got the sorry, no. But one could say "I'm with X" and would probably work fine. She only checked the BP for the AAirpass mention, and then the list w/ no reference to the record. Haven't been that desperate to enter a club.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I'm confused

When using AirPass, I understand that I pay 10K and get a pool of 25,000 miles. If I want to fly from point A to Point B I merely deduct the miles from my airpass account.

The first question is, what class would I be flying in? Coach? Business? First? What about internationally? Is there a point reduction for advanced reservations? Or point addition for higher classes?

Sorry for the questions, but the AA.com site was useless.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
It's not just one. I know of at least two and suspect more.
I know of at least two, as well. My brother worked at one and I had several friends at another. Both that I know about also include AC access in their package.

The interesting thing is that when my brother left his job, he was not asked to give his AAirpass card back. Although he certainly can't use it to book tickets, he is still given all the perks (AC access, priority handling, etc.) by AA on his personal travel. A friend from another bank had a similar experience. It seems that AAirpass was tied to her AAdvantage account and she was able to take advantage of most AAirpass services for at least a year following her departure.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:19 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAirpass
Originally Posted by clarkef
When using AirPass, I understand that I pay 10K and get a pool of 25,000 miles. If I want to fly from point A to Point B I merely deduct the miles from my airpass account.

The first question is, what class would I be flying in? Coach? Business? First? What about internationally? Is there a point reduction for advanced reservations? Or point addition for higher classes?

Yes, can someone please answer this question. I frequently book Yup or A/F fares to guarantee upgrades and this could be a more cost effective way to do this. For example, if flying from DFW-LGA-DFW is approx 2600 miles and my husabnd and I are both traveling & want guaranteed First, it will cost us approx $2800 R/T for 2 tix. If we have 25,000 miles in airpass for $10K, do we automatically get to book in first and use approx 1/5 the miles for 1/5 the cost so save approx $800? Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:58 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by clarkef

From what I can tell, you can book in different classes and pay different rates. When I've bought AAirpass tickets (remember, I have mine via work), it's always coach service. But from what I could always tell, it was a full Y class ticket. Now, when I was using my AAirpass on a regular before, American wasn't automatically doing the Y-UP thing into the first class cabin if there was "A" class seats available. But now that they do that, I think the AAirpass ticket does become a Y-UP, and you would get into the first class cabin if there were "A" class seats available.

The last time I used AAirpass was some time ago, but I think I did somehow get into First class without requesting a normal "sticker" upgrade. At the time, I didn't really know why. But then I found out about the whole Y-UP thing. However, from what I can tell, there aren't always A class seats available. A co-worker of mine who DOES use AAirpass to buy tickets doesn't always get into First when flying. I guess it's becasue all the "A" class seats are gone by the time he books. (not really surprising, I guess, as it's a popular route at peak business travel times)
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:11 pm

Programs: WN A+, PC Gold
AAirpass to Japan

My wife and I are planning a trip LAX-NRT in spring. We do not have enough miles to upgrade, but plan on flying Business Class due to length of flight and other concerns.

I can get an AAirpass for $10,000 that allows 25,000 miles for myself and a companion to share. Two RT tickets to NRT Business Class run ~$13,500. It would only cost us 21,500 miles of the prepaid 25,000 to go. As I see it, I am saving $3,500 and still have 3500 prepaid miles to fly over the course of the year. Add in First Class check-in and Admirals Club and it looks like a pretty good deal.

I must be missing something obvious. Please help me.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk.

Does your figure of 21,500 miles used for both tix take into account the mileage premium charged for J? Don't know the current premium but it used to be 30% - J to Japan cost 130% of mileage flown. If you took the premium into account, then it sounds like a decent price.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:26 pm

Programs: spg-plat, aa-1mm and exp,hh-Diamond,hyatt-gld
new to FT

AAairpass not in glossary? what is it? thanks for your time
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by tak29813
My wife and I are planning a trip LAX-NRT in spring. We do not have enough miles to upgrade, but plan on flying Business Class due to length of flight and other concerns.

I can get an AAirpass for $10,000 that allows 25,000 miles for myself and a companion to share. Two RT tickets to NRT Business Class run ~$13,500. It would only cost us 21,500 miles of the prepaid 25,000 to go. As I see it, I am saving $3,500 and still have 3500 prepaid miles to fly over the course of the year. Add in First Class check-in and Admirals Club and it looks like a pretty good deal.

I must be missing something obvious. Please help me.
I don't know much about AAirpass, but I don't see anything that suggests Business Class is a sure thing. Looks like you just get priority for an upgrade.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lestismore
new to FT

AAairpass not in glossary? what is it? thanks for your time
See: http://www.aairpass.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.