Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

US Airways Card from Barlcays / Barclaycard, Merger Implications (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Card from Barlcays / Barclaycard, Merger Implications (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: US, HH
Well, the way I see it, the benefits of the US MC is tightly tied to the US DM program. You earn US miles for spend, double miles for US spend, miles discount on US awards, etc etc. Until the two programs actually merge, and US DM goes away, I don't see why Barclays would prematurely yank the cards/benefits from US flyers (and cut off their own revenue in the process, because I'd imagine most people with US cards will stop using it when the benefits disappear, especially the 10PQM one).

Presumably US/AA will at some point state a date for the FF programs merging into one, at which point the US card will probably wind down. Unfortunately that date is unknown, but personally I don't see how that will happen real soon. Maybe closer to the end of the year or even 2015. (But who knows, maybe IT has been working hard at integrating FF systems and it will all be ready when US joins OW )

Now what's not known is what kind of agreement the new AA made with Citi as to when they become the exclusive card for AA, if that is indeed the case. One would hope the powers that be negotiated for that only to happen once the programs fully merge, or else there will be a bunch of unhappy US flyers who now won't have a card with benefits anymore.

Of course this is just my opinion and it may very well be wrong, but until they tell me it was just wishful thinking, I'm planning on using the card as if it will be around for the calendar year.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by GrjApp
Well, the way I see it, the benefits of the US MC is tightly tied to the US DM program. You earn US miles for spend, double miles for US spend, miles discount on US awards, etc etc. Until the two programs actually merge, and US DM goes away, I don't see why Barclays would prematurely yank the cards/benefits from US flyers (and cut off their own revenue in the process, because I'd imagine most people with US cards will stop using it when the benefits disappear, especially the 10PQM one).

Presumably US/AA will at some point state a date for the FF programs merging into one, at which point the US card will probably wind down. Unfortunately that date is unknown, but personally I don't see how that will happen real soon. Maybe closer to the end of the year or even 2015. (But who knows, maybe IT has been working hard at integrating FF systems and it will all be ready when US joins OW )

Now what's not known is what kind of agreement the new AA made with Citi as to when they become the exclusive card for AA, if that is indeed the case. One would hope the powers that be negotiated for that only to happen once the programs fully merge, or else there will be a bunch of unhappy US flyers who now won't have a card with benefits anymore.

Of course this is just my opinion and it may very well be wrong, but until they tell me it was just wishful thinking, I'm planning on using the card as if it will be around for the calendar year.
We do know from the BK docs that Citi will indeed be the exclusive card provider for AA post BK. It was part of the deal to get them to sign off on the BK terms. The only unknown at this point are the exact terms and date Barclays will exit the show.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Barclay newbie question

I got the Barclay card a few months ago but have not used it for the $99 companion certificate.
If I buy one F RT ticket SFO-OGG, do I get the companion certificate for $99 or is it just for economy travel?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS, BA-Gold
Originally Posted by Paulchili
I got the Barclay card a few months ago but have not used it for the $99 companion certificate.
If I buy one F RT ticket SFO-OGG, do I get the companion certificate for $99 or is it just for economy travel?
IIRC its just economy tickets.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Paulchili
It will not work for Hawaii...just the continental US and Canada.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
It will not work for Hawaii...just the continental US and Canada.
Thank you (& chanp too).
That's too bad
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Regarding the bonus 10k PQM's, do they post after you hit the $25k spend or at end of calendar year?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Next posting date following monthly close, so anywhere from a couple of days to a few weeks after your have totaled $25K spend for year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.