Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

US Airways Card from Barlcays / Barclaycard, Merger Implications (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres

Anyone else get this from Barclays?

"Dear XXX,
We're excited about the merger of US Airways and American Airlines and look forward to working with the premier global airline as they move toward combined operations. Through the merger integration and beyond, we will continue to bring you the exceptional benefits and rewards you have come to expect, and more.
You'll be happy to know that nothing has changed with the
Dividend Miles you've accumulated or the miles you're currently earning. So keep using your card as you normally would. Your
US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard still offers you the great benefits you're used to, so you can enjoy:

2X miles on all US Airways purchases

10,000 miles toward Dividend Miles Preferred status when you spend $25,000 or more in a calendar year

Companion certificate good for roundtrip travel for up to 2 guests for $99 each (plus taxes and fees)

Priority boarding: Zone 2 on US Airways flights and first class check-in

Miles that do not expire when you continue to use your card

No cap on the number of miles you can earn

Be on the lookout for information about new features and benefits coming in January 2014. We will keep you informed every step of the way.
Questions about your account?

Log in to your account at USAirwaysMasterCard.com and click on the Merger News banner to learn more, or call (866) 419-0881. We're here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

As always, thank you for your loyalty and your business."

It sounds like the new AA will be keeping Barclays and Citi as card issuers.

Last edited by LetsGoToo; Dec 9, 2013 at 6:57 pm
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by LetsGoToo
Anyone else get this from Barclays?

"Dear XXX,
We're excited about the merger of US Airways and American Airlines and look forward to working with the premier global airline as they move toward combined operations. Through the merger integration and beyond, we will continue to bring you the exceptional benefits and rewards you have come to expect, and more.
You'll be happy to know that nothing has changed with the
Dividend Miles you've accumulated or the miles you're currently earning. So keep using your card as you normally would. Your
US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard still offers you the great benefits you're used to, so you can enjoy:
2X miles on all US Airways purchases
10,000 miles toward Dividend Miles Preferred status when you spend $25,000 or more in a calendar year
Companion certificate good for roundtrip travel for up to 2 guests for $99 each (plus taxes and fees)
Priority boarding: Zone 2 on US Airways flights and first class check-in
Miles that do not expire when you continue to use your card
No cap on the number of miles you can earn
Be on the lookout for information about new features and benefits coming in January 2014. We will keep you informed every step of the way.
Questions about your account?
Log in to your account at USAirwaysMasterCard.com and click on the Merger News banner to learn more, or call (866) 419-0881. We're here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

As always, thank you for your loyalty and your business."

It sounds like the new AA will be keeping Barclays and Citi as card issuers.
I just received the same email.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Didn't we get this same email when the merger was initially announced? It's probably just a "hey, you don't have to leave us....yet" email.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Didn't we get this same email when the merger was initially announced? It's probably just a "hey, you don't have to leave us....yet" email.
Except that this time it says "Be on the lookout for information about new features and benefits coming in January 2014."

If they were going away, I don't think they would've said this.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I got the same thing. Why am I thinking that the paragraph below means, "you'll lose your ability to earn 10,000 Preferred miles for spending $25k on and after January 2014"?

Be on the lookout for information about new features and benefits coming in January 2014.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I got the same thing. Why am I thinking that the paragraph below means, "you'll lose your ability to earn 10,000 Preferred miles for spending $25k on and after January 2014"?

Be on the lookout for information about new features and benefits coming in January 2014.
I posted this is another thread but it looks like Barclays updated their merger FAQ's today...

Will I continue to receive all of the same benefits throughout my anniversary year? (I pay $89 for this card and want assurances that I will get what I agreed to)

We are looking forward to our continuing partnership with the new American. We do anticipate that there will be changes to the benefits associated with your account in the months to come. You should expect to continue to enjoy many of your existing benefits and even some new ones as the programs evolve over the next 12 to 15 months. We will be sure to notify you of any changes that impact your account.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I got the same e-mail. Won't US and AA be separate airlines for most, if not all, of 2014? So, I think Barclays wants to keep cardholders as long as they can. Plus, it is possible that the new AA will have both the Citi and Barclays cards (but unlikely). That being said, I suspect I'll cancel my Barclays to keep the Citi AAdvantage Executive to keep the AC access.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Primary benefit of the Barclay's card for me is the companion ticket, I will be renewing the card early next year for this benefit alone.

Barclays also offers lots of targeted incentives during the year; both wife and I ended up with an extra 15k miles each for spending $750 min in 3 consecutive months, 5 miles per dollar for gas purchases this quarter.

Our plan was to transfer miles to AA when the programs merged, may use them on US, as cardmember save 5k miles, elites do not pay award booking fee.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:49 pm
Used to be MJ-bos

Programs: AA ExecPlat, COdbaUA 1P & 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Avis 1st
US Airways card -- Barclays also a partner of new AA?

US had BofA (USAir) and Barclays (America West) for a few years but I expect it will all be Citi when all is said and done. BofA sold their accounts to Barclays and they were converted when that happened...
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MoJ0
US had BofA (USAir) and Barclays (America West) for a few years but I expect it will all be Citi when all is said and done. BofA sold their accounts to Barclays and they were converted when that happened...
Yes, but I still earn miles from BOA.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yep, I see Barclay's lasting another year or two and then Citi taking full control. Hopefully, Citi will give some attractive offers to entice us to move over on our own accord.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat 100, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC, AmEx Plat
FWIW

American Chooses Citi As Post-Merger Credit Card Issuer; Judge Sends Merger Plan to Vote

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/06/amer...-plan-to-vote/
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
I read this as no more 10k annual bonus and no more 5k redemption discount.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
Now I know it is a pipe dream ... but am I only the one that thinks that there would be something so right with spending $25K on the Barclay's card, and $40K on the Citi Exec card to get 20K elite miles ..... Ok ... I will now wake up from my dream ...

+-ADT
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by grapkoski
Yep, I see Barclay's lasting another year or two and then Citi taking full control. Hopefully, Citi will give some attractive offers to entice us to move over on our own accord.
you mean like churning for 50k/application every week?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.