Wiki Posts
Search

Next AAdvantage Mileage Promotion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014 | 12:14 pm
Original Poster
10 Years on Site

Next AAdvantage Mileage Promotion

Does anyone know when American Airlines is going to be having some sort of AAdvantage mileage promotion? I'm hoping to go away soon but short on the miles, and to buy miles without a promotion is a little bit costly.

Anyone know anything about future promotions or sales?

Thanks
Old Sep 9, 2014 | 7:19 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Nothing known currently. With the merger they may be a bit off before they do any more special promos. I've noticed a strong degradation in the buy/share miles promos of US/AA recently. Wish that would reverse a bit and go back to <$1k for 100k miles in share/bonus offers.
Old Sep 10, 2014 | 2:03 pm
Original Poster
10 Years on Site

We are going back to Japan in Late October. I already bought miles for US AIRWAYS but didn't know that all the booking with them are round trip fares. And not willing to waste all the miles on a one way that cost the same as a round trip. I have 100,000 divident miles that are useless to me for right now, since I need a ticket for me and my wife.
Old Sep 10, 2014 | 6:50 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by brabb12
We are going back to Japan in Late October. I already bought miles for US AIRWAYS but didn't know that all the booking with them are round trip fares. And not willing to waste all the miles on a one way that cost the same as a round trip. I have 100,000 divident miles that are useless to me for right now, since I need a ticket for me and my wife.
If there are two seats available, couldn't you just book one with US miles and the other with AA miles?
Old Sep 10, 2014 | 9:59 pm
Original Poster
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
If there are two seats available, couldn't you just book one with US miles and the other with AA miles?
I could do that. But, I may have to switch the days of my flight for my outgoing flight, or switch airports if I can. With American I can, but not with US AIRWAYS.

We want to fly out on JAL out of LAX but all their business class seats are full as of right now. Currently I have a hold on two business seats that leave out of SAN. "Since they have a lot of award space."

BUT if their is some open space on the LAX to NRT flight, I'd rather switch over to that flight.

With US airways you can't switch the airport or days, otherwise you have to pay for rebooking fees.

Also I plan to come back going as a non-rev on American Airlines. Since my father worked for the company for 35 years.

But if you guys have some insider way of booking my tickets through both airlines I would love to know what to do.

Thanks
Old Sep 11, 2014 | 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I could do that. But, I may have to switch the days of my flight for my outgoing flight, or switch airports if I can. With American I can, but not with US AIRWAYS.

With US airways you can't switch the airport or days, otherwise you have to pay for rebooking fees.

Also I plan to come back going as a non-rev on American Airlines. Since my father worked for the company for 35 years.

But if you guys have some insider way of booking my tickets through both airlines I would love to know what to do.
So you both may need to switch your origin? And one (but not both) of you wants to attempt to non-rev home? It sounds like you want to hold something, but you're not sure what and that makes it darn near impossible to figure out what you actually want to do. As best I can figure, you want to go SoCal - NRT but you don't want to commit to dates or an airport or flying roundtrip. And you want two tickets.

There is no "insider way" to change the rules. You need to decide what you want and then work toward getting that.

Also, AA will also charge you to change the origin/destination unless you are EXP. From aa.com:

"Changes to origin/destination –

A $150 USD charge or additional miles will apply for a change to an eligible origin or destination on a MileSAAver or AAnytime award, (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account)."
Old Sep 11, 2014 | 2:08 pm
Original Poster
10 Years on Site

Me and the wife want to go to Japan around October 27th. As of right now, I have a hold on two seats for the LAX to SAN to NRT flight.. "Through AAdvantage." I don't have all the miles yet." But I were to book it on US AIRWAYS the LAX to SAN to NRT flight, I could not be able to change it to be direct from LAX to NRT, IF there was a award ticket available on JAL.

We'll fly out to SAN on a Eagle flight. But if they have a opening on the LAX flight to NRT I can change the SAN flight to LAX with american. With US AIRWAYS I can not.If I do, there is a charge, correct? That is what the US AIRWAYS agent said to me.

Coming home, both of us will go as non-revs but if I can get a seat using my divident miles for going over, I will use it for myself to come back.

Thanks for your help McFlyPhl. Sorry if I repeated myself a few times.

Last edited by brabb12; Sep 11, 2014 at 2:13 pm
Old Sep 11, 2014 | 2:31 pm

We'll fly out to SAN on a Eagle flight. But if they have a opening on the LAX flight to NRT I can change the SAN flight to LAX with american. With US AIRWAYS I can not.If I do, there is a charge, correct? That is what the US AIRWAYS agent said to me.
*BOTH* airlines will charge you to change the origin/destination. (see my prior quote pulled from aa.com for you), but I believe you can also hold tickets with both sides of the operation. I don't really think about that as a CP since it doesn't matter to me - I can cancel and redeposit at no charge anyway.

Coming home, both of us will go as non-revs but if I can get a seat using my divident miles for going over, I will use it for myself to come back.
Makes sense since you might as well confirm the seat if you're using Dividend Miles for the outbound as it's the same cost one way or round trip.

Here's how I would solve this problem:
1) If you think you'll have the AA miles shortly, just keep calling to extend the hold. Don't count on promos to sell you miles - you'd probably have to fly for them.
2) If you don't anticipate having the miles shortly put an outbound on hold for yourself with AA, call US and book what's available for your wife. The absolute worst case is you have to connect in SAN or pay $150 to change. Remember, though, that with US miles once you've started travel no changes are permitted so once you take off LAX-SAN for that first leg, the rest of the trip is locked in.
3) If 2), then you may wind up separated on the return.

Hope that's helpful!
Old Sep 11, 2014 | 2:51 pm
Original Poster
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
*BOTH* airlines will charge you to change the origin/destination. (see my prior quote pulled from aa.com for you), but I believe you can also hold tickets with both sides of the operation. I don't really think about that as a CP since it doesn't matter to me - I can cancel and redeposit at no charge anyway.

Makes sense since you might as well confirm the seat if you're using Dividend Miles for the outbound as it's the same cost one way or round trip.

Here's how I would solve this problem:
1) If you think you'll have the AA miles shortly, just keep calling to extend the hold. Don't count on promos to sell you miles - you'd probably have to fly for them.
2) If you don't anticipate having the miles shortly put an outbound on hold for yourself with AA, call US and book what's available for your wife. The absolute worst case is you have to connect in SAN or pay $150 to change. Remember, though, that with US miles once you've started travel no changes are permitted so once you take off LAX-SAN for that first leg, the rest of the trip is locked in.
3) If 2), then you may wind up separated on the return.

Hope that's helpful!
So I can change the day with US airways as long as it is before my departure day. I just don't want to book it with US AIRWAYS and be locked into going from LAX to SAN to NRT, then find out 1 day before my flight that their is an award space on the LAX to NRT flight.

Yes very helpful. Thank you.

Now if JAL just released more award space, I would be doing better!!!!
Old Sep 11, 2014 | 4:55 pm

So I can change the day with US airways as long as it is before my departure day. I just don't want to book it with US AIRWAYS and be locked into going from LAX to SAN to NRT, then find out 1 day before my flight that their is an award space on the LAX to NRT flight.
Call and get confirmation about the cost of a change. I am not entirely sure since as a CP I don't pay those fees.
Old Sep 12, 2014 | 11:13 am
Original Poster
10 Years on Site

Ok. Thanks for your help!!!

Ive already got a SAN to NRT flight on hold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.