Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking a single F Award to North America from HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014 | 5:25 am
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, MarriotPlatinum (Lifetime Gold), IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist :)) , Hilton Diamond

I am trying to book one or two F awards to and from North America ex-HKG on CX, ultimately arriving into LAS (I don't care at all about the connection being in J (or even Y for short flights), though it seems the availability there isnt a problem). I'd also mention I am indifferent to which city in the USA I connect through (or Vancouver, or Toronto), so long as it doesnt violate any mileage rules for the award.

I'm not seeing in my date range F availability in either direction (ex-HKG plus or minus two days Oct. 13 and ex-LAS plus or minus two days October 16,17). I am seeing some J availability ex-HKG and I am wondering if I should grab one of those flights as a one way with the idea that a single F ticket in the same direction (and perhaps a return as well) might open up closer to the departure dates. I've not an AA frequent flier, but have Silver with BAEC (Sapphire One World). If I upgrade from the J class to an F class that later becomes available do I pay a rebooking fee, redeposit fee or the like? Is there a substantial downside from doing it in this manner.

I know its not the place for it, but I've also loads of US miles and a large chunk in SPG AMEX I can transfer around, if perhaps I am generally barking up the wrong tree (Asiana??).

Thanks for any assistance.
Old Sep 13, 2014 | 10:53 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
AA and US are still operating as independent carriers. My guess is this thread should be in the AA pre merger forum, based on what you are saying.

Did I get it right? You are trying to use AA miles on CX?
If so, there's a lot of information on the AA pre merger forum. If I am not mistaken, when changing from a J to an F booking, you do not get charged any additional fee. Only the difference in miles between J and F and any difference in taxes/carrier charges.
So I'd recommend you grab the J seat and monitor availability with the BA search.

Good luck.
Old Sep 13, 2014 | 6:40 pm
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, MarriotPlatinum (Lifetime Gold), IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist :)) , Hilton Diamond
Yes you're right about what I am saying. I've gone the extra step and checked BA (and JAL) and there is a lot of availability in the next 7 days, which makes it seem like CX moves the awards into availability shortly before (perhaps a week).

Is there someway to request a Mod to move this thread, or should I just repost it.
Old Sep 14, 2014 | 12:05 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
You are right about the 7 days or so. I've seen it often and used it often.
As for moving the thread, I've already alerted the mods.
Once again, good luck! And CX J is not bad at all. Especially since now they've done away with the 744 which was the last aircraft with the old J seat (on which both my shoulders would touch the sides simultaneously. I was lucky to fly one of the very last flight of it to SFO in F. The captain announced that if we'd take this flight again, it would be a different aircraft. Now it is.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.